Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Rape culture" is about the stupidest thing I ever heard of (the term itself I mean)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Rape culture" is about the stupidest thing I ever heard of (the term itself I mean)

So lately within the past year or so I've been hearing this new buzz phrase called "rape culture". Now, I'm speaking as someone who was sexually abused as a baby, sexually harassed (and emotionally/verbally abused) by my "parents", and my wife was not only raped by her "father" when she was 12, he happened to be a "police officer", back in the 1960s (before things like rape/child abuse and the like got much media attention/awareness). So like any reasonable person, I got no use for anyone who is a rapist.

That being said, I think the term "rape culture" is about the stupidest catchphrase I've ever heard of. I thought a culture was the lifestyle, customs, traditions, and so on of people of a nation, region, race, religion, or whatnot. For example, I was born and raised in Kentucky, and I'm not only a big-time UK (University of Kentucky, not United Kingdom) fan, I also hold two BAs from there. True, it may not be the kind of culture/heritage you'd find at a multicultural festival but it is still my culture and I'm quite proud of it. But not nearly as proud as I am of my wife who is from greater Boston and got to live right in the middle of all that history of Paul Revere and other assorted Founding Fathers. She also happens to be 1/2 Irish, 1/4 German, 1/4 Italian (I'm not sure what my lineage is I'm sad to say; I am quite curious though).

I guess what I'm trying to say is that "rape culture" sounds like these rapists have some kind of nationality or customs or flags or something. And it just not only sounds silly but is rather insulting to those of real cultures.

The term is supposed to refer to the environment you find in some towns and schools where the sports stars are allowed to get away with whatever the hell they want because the town has nothing to offer the world other than sports stars.

There was a story this year or last about a girl who was raped and when she reported it, her family was run out of town because her rapist was their star quarterback or some such.

There have been other stories where there has been evidence that the woman in question was telling the truth about her rape but the people responsible and those who are supposed to be in charge would slut-shame her and discredit her as opposed to, you know, actually prosecuting the boy or boys responsible.

Then, of course, there's your typical frat house situation where women's claims of assault are dismissed with, "well you shouldn't have gone to that party" or "well, you shouldn't have been drinking" as opposed to actually prosecuting the attackers, even when there's evidence that the victim was drugged.
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Oh believe you me, I may not have been a rape victim but I was put through plenty of that "it's your fault for provoking [my "father"]" or "you asked for it" or some other variation of that garbage. If someone (especially a so-called "loved one") intentionally and maliciously hurts someone and doesn't even feel at all sorry or ashamed about it, then that's on the abuser, not the victim.

While I do agree that all of what you just told me is completely unacceptable, I just think there has to be something better to call it besides a "culture".

Comment

Originally posted by Estil View Post
        So lately within the past year or so I've been hearing this new buzz phrase called "rape culture"
        WHAT? The phrase has been around since the 1970's 0_0

Originally posted by Estil View Post
        I guess what I'm trying to say is that "rape culture" sounds like these rapists have some kind of nationality or customs or flags or something. And it just not only sounds silly but is rather insulting to those of real cultures.
        Is "culture of fear" insulting as well?

culture-A culture is a way of life of a group of people--the behaviors, beliefs, values, and symbols that they accept, generally without thinking about them, and that are passed along by communication and imitation from one generation to the next.

Rape culture is the behaviors(victim blaming, slut-shaming), beliefs(s/he deserved it, s/he was asking for it), values(boys will be boys, men can't be rape victims-though 1 in 33 are), that allow rape to be "acceptable"(in some states it's still perfectly acceptable to rape your spouse). Look at how many prison rape jokes there are, it's considered perfectly acceptable to make jokes about dropping the soap, or he's gonna be Bubba's girlfriend. how many movies use child abuse or murder as a throwaway punchline? How many use rape or prison rape?

Rape culture can be defined as “a culture in which dominant cultural ideologies, media images, social practices, and societal institutions support and condone sexual abuse by normalizing, trivializing and eroticizing male violence against women and blaming victims for their own abuse”
        Rape culture 101
        Rape culture is real
        this has more links
        Registered rider scenic shore 150 charity ride

Comment

Yeah, I'm not sure why you think "culture" is a stupid term for it giving that its pretty much a textbook definition of the problem.

Comment

It sounds like you think that it means that rapists have their own, separate culture, when what the term refers to is how OUR culture is a rape culture.

Comment

This popped up in my FB feed the other day, and I think it's rather appropriate:

http://misandry-mermaid.tumblr.com/p...ape-joke-was-a
              I has a blog!

Comment

My issue with the term is that it's so vaguely defined that it's hard to pinpoint what they mean when they talk about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Rageaholic View Post
                  My issue with the term is that it's so vaguely defined that it's hard to pinpoint what they mean when they talk about it.
                  Just because you don't know the definition doesn't mean it's "vaguely defined" Look up, I posted three links and the definition, the term is 40 years old, personal incredulity is a logically fallacious argument.
                  Registered rider scenic shore 150 charity ride

Comment

Originally posted by Kheldarson View Post
                    This popped up in my FB feed the other day, and I think it's rather appropriate:

http://misandry-mermaid.tumblr.com/p...ape-joke-was-a
                    Because someone who's proud of enjoying others' pain - "forever bathing in your male tears" - is someone who's a credible moral authority on right and wrong?
                    "You are who you are on your worst day, Durkon. Anything less is a comforting lie you tell yourself to numb the pain." - Evil
                    "You're trying to be Lawful Good. People forget how crucial it is to keep trying, even if they screw it up now and then." - Good

Comment

Originally posted by Canarr View Post

Because someone who's proud of enjoying others' pain - "forever bathing in your male tears" - is someone who's a credible moral authority on right and wrong?
                      Um...what? I have no idea where you found that in that post. I wouldn't count a profile pic as being much of an argument maker, but the post is actually quoted from a linked forum post, so it's still not highly applicable.

And if your only response to the argument is to pull out an attack on their authority, maybe you have some thinking to do.
                      I has a blog!

Comment

Well...

1. The website is called the "Misandry Mermaid".
                        2. The pic stating "forever bathing in your male tears" is displayed prominently right next to the article you link. Or any other article you choose to read on that site - say, "Why joking about misandry is different from misogyny" or "Why CIS-Men shouldn't call themselves feminist".

Not to mention that she has an FAQ and a "Misandry Masterpost" that she specifically directs people to in order to inform themselves about why misogyny is bad and evil and misandry is basically just self-defense.

To be honest, I even agree with her: telling rape jokes, or using the word in a different context (like beating someone in a game, or whatever) is not only not funny, it is actually dangerous in that it trivializes the crime and may make actual rapists think that the joker agrees with them. So, yeah: she's right.

But that doesn't change the fact that someone deliberately joking about others' pain is an asshole, plain and simple.
                        "You are who you are on your worst day, Durkon. Anything less is a comforting lie you tell yourself to numb the pain." - Evil
                        "You're trying to be Lawful Good. People forget how crucial it is to keep trying, even if they screw it up now and then." - Good

Comment

Originally posted by Canarr View Post

But that doesn't change the fact that someone deliberately joking about others' pain is an asshole, plain and simple.
                          True, but she wasn't the author of the post either. I just figured it was an easier format to read than the original.
                          I has a blog!

Comment

Ah, I see it now; you're right, I'm sorry. I read that as an original post.

Comment

Working...
                            X