War on words

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• War on words

Something I've been seeing a lot lately are attempts to fight certain isms by treating certain words as "bad words". Take ableism, which I think is a real issue, but it's hard to take seriously thanks to stuff like this. They're attempting to discourage others from using words such as "crazy", "lame", or even saying you "stand by" someone (because somehow it's offensive to cripples).

I'm all for fighting injustice and sticking up for the little guy, but countering words is not the answer.

I'm fine with avoiding words that are used in recent or current medical terminology, like "retard" or "invalid." I agree, though, that crazy, idiot, and moron have changed their meaning so much that people don't even associate them with the disabilities they used to represent in the days of yore. Also these terms, like so many other words in the English language, have different meanings in different contexts. If I were to use the term "blind" to mean someone who can't see a conceptual idea, how is that any different than doctors who use the term "blind study"? Is the use of the term "blinders" on horses or "blinds" on windows similarly forbidden? What should one call the "mute" button on a telephone, since that is a word that can also be used to describe one who cannot speak? Invalid, although pronounced differently, also means something which needs to be corrected in order to become valid. Retard, when used in the context of engineering or mechanics means to slow down (again, with a different accent on the syllables, but they come from the same etymology as the developmental disorder). And don't get me started on any event that ends in "-mania."

It's gotten to the point where I don't think I can even construct a strawman out of the arguments because the articles you cite take the slippery slope to irrational levels. I mean, the HP article is against use of the term weak for fuck's sake. If one considers this "abusive" language, does that minimize the term "abuse" in the context of spousal or child abuse? If I "serve" someone a dish, does that minimize the term "servant"? What about the term "disabled" to mean, well, virtually anything that isn't enabled, like a broken button or a function in software that has been turned off? Regarding terms like "stand up" being exclusive language for those who cannot stand, does that mean the term "well" to describe something besides your health to be similarly exclusive from the ill? Poor and poverty are also terms to describe an oppressed population. Therefore, to say I did poorly at something is as bad as calling myself weak if I can't lift much weight. Anxiety is also a mental disorder, so should anxious be avoided? Same as feeling depressed?

The only thing I'll agree with in the thoughtcatalog article is the words have become overused, especially for emphasis or to embellish a click-bait article, and using the terms should be considered lazy, informal, and cliched in essays and more serious writing, and there are better and more interesting words to describe something.
    Last edited by TheHuckster; 09-09-2015, 06:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TheHuckster View Post
      Retard, when used in the context of engineering or mechanics means to slow down (again, with a different accent on the syllables, but they come from the same etymology as the developmental disorder).
      It means the same thing in music. So is sheet music offensive now? I'm totally fine with being sensitive to other peoples'-- for lack of a better word--shortcomings (oooh, now I'm offending short people). But it's getting ridiculous. I see it on Tumblr all the time and all I can do is roll my eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by jedimaster91 View Post
        It means the same thing in music.
        Actually, that's "ritardando," often abbreviated as "rit." Though I have gotten my fair share of idiots taking offense at the term, most notably one guy whose parents made him quit when they showed up at band practice to pick him and heard the instructor use the term.

I was reminded of this. I got a good LOL out of it.

Comment

I've seen it abbreviated "ritard" as well. And depending on the accent of someone saying it out loud, it can definitely sound like "retard."

Comment

Would this be a good place to complain about the lie that certain groups are trying to push that "accident" means "unpreventable" and therefore car accidents must never be called that? Because it doesn't even have the justification those do.
            "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
              Would this be a good place to complain about the lie that certain groups are trying to push that "accident" means "unpreventable" and therefore car accidents must never be called that? Because it doesn't even have the justification those do.
              I've seen the argument that calling it an accident means no one is to blame, since it was "accidental", but never that they were unpreventable. Both arguments are equally flawed.

Comment

Working...
              X