Copy & Paste BS On FB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Copy & Paste BS On FB

When I got on Facebook this morning, I got a good reminder of exactly why I'm rarely on it anymore. Both my aunt, and her daughter, had posted some copy & paste bs about "post one word about how we met". This, along with all the "OMG look at this!" clickbait headlines over and over again are what, to me, is killing Facebook. I long for simpler times, when you had a nice clean page that you could easily scroll through, instead of of huge posts with pictures and the same stuff over and over. Why don't I leave Facebook? Well, there is one game that keeps me there, that sadly, I can't play anywhere else. Trust me, if I could, I'd be done, except the occasional check in on my family, maybe. in the meantime, the unfollow feature is getting a workout!

I just got something on my newsfeed that had a picture of a shark photoshopped into an ocean wave with the caption "Like and type "OMG" to see the picture change!"

And, no doubt there are 77K comments filled with OMG followed by the occasional "nothing happened"

I wonder what would happen if Facebook had a more lax moderation and instead it asked for each commenter's social security number.

Comment

I only keep my account because I have long-distance family and it makes it so much easier to send them pictures of Little Ara and let them know how we're doing. I have a very dear friend that I stay in touch with primarily through Facebook, but it's not the only option I have.

BrenDAnn, could I ask what game it is? I haven't come across one yet that isn't available on either mobile or another website, I might be able to help.

Comment

…I wonder if my MySpace account is still active?
        "I take it your health insurance doesn't cover acts of pussy."

Comment

Of course there's my personal favorite 'Like and share if you're against bullying, ignore if you're heartless'

Comment

I'm only still on there because so many friends make it their only contact with the outside world.
            "The hero is the person who can act mindfully, out of conscience, when others are all conforming, or who can take the moral high road when others are standing by silently, allowing evil deeds to go unchallenged." — Philip Zimbardo
            TUA Games & Fiction // Ponies

Comment

Originally posted by Aragarthiel View Post
              I only keep my account because I have long-distance family and it makes it so much easier to send them pictures of Little Ara and let them know how we're doing. I have a very dear friend that I stay in touch with primarily through Facebook, but it's not the only option I have.

BrenDAnn, could I ask what game it is? I haven't come across one yet that isn't available on either mobile or another website, I might be able to help.
              YoWorl, formerly YoVille. Big Viking Games is still in the stages of saving it after Zynga ran it nearly into the ground, and it's only on FB at the current moment. They do have separate forums, though. I'd say I keep in touch with family on mine, but I rarely, if ever, post anything. I do get a laugh out of what my relatives post,mostly because the sense of humor in my family leads to some off the wall posts.

Comment

Originally posted by drjonah View Post
                Of course there's my personal favorite 'Like and share if you're against bullying, ignore if you're heartless'
                Yeah, those guilt trip ones drive me up the wall. Like the pictures of something bad that happened and rather than any details to make it into an actual PSA, it just says "I bet no one shares this." At that point you have made getting shares more important than the actual issue. Someone on my wall keeps sharing the missing kid things. One of them didn't even have the kid's name on it, who to contact, or a town. It simply said that she was a missing kid.

On the plus side, it has helped me weed out some friends because of the types of things they share and realizing they are actually close minded jerks. I've found that I use it more as a source of amusement and for groups than to keep up with people. I found a great group that is about ADD stuff that involves people helping each other and sharing organizing tips. Stuff like that. I do sometimes miss when it was more about keeping up with people though.

Comment

Originally posted by drjonah View Post
                  I. Hate. This. If sharing that crap on Facebook was truly an indicator of which causes are near and dear to my heart, my religious convictions, or my patriotism, I really would be a monster. Cuz I just scroll right past that nonsense. I also hate the ones that say "Share if you love someone in heaven!" or "Share for <insert disease du jour> awareness!" First off, I'm pretty sure everyone has experienced the loss of a loved one and/or beloved pet. There are a few I've been through I really don't want to be reminded of or talk about. Secondly, I am aware of autism/cancer/depression/whatever. What exactly does sharing a picture on Facebook do about it? Nothing. I'm also getting real fed up with a friend of mine. She works for a small county animal shelter and is constantly flooding my feed with dogs that need to be "RESCUED OMFG RIGHT NAO!" I love animals and I wish I could save them all. But I can't. I'm at my limit of what I can handle critter-wise and so are a lot of other people.

And for fark's sake, STOP adding me to your Yonique/Jamberry/doTerra/Pampered Chef parties. I don't care what you're hocking; I ain't buying.

Comment

jedimaster, I'd be heavily employing the unfollow feature if I were you. You just click the little down arrow on the top right of the post, and click to unfollow the person. It gets rid of their BS posts, but you stay friends with them, and they don't have the slightest clue about it. Saves a LOT of FB stress and aggravation! ETA: I also have a strict rule that if I see something in my feed from someone I don't follow, IE one of those stupid OMGLOOKATTHIS pages/groups, then I use the down arrow on the post to block that person or group. That helps a lot too!

Comment

If that drek was all they posted, I would unfollow. But buried in the junk is stuff I actually care about. Like how their kids are doing. So I just roll my eyes and go on hoping the next post is something I want to know about.

Comment

You can also block/unsee the pages that they share these things from. You might have to do it quite a few times but you'll still see the stuff about them.

Comment

According to Facebook, I support bullying and abuse, I don't love Jesus, and I'm anti-American. I'm still looking for the verse in the Bible that says, "If ye love me, share crap on Facebook"

Comment

Heck, Jesus was against overt worship just to "boast" how faithful you are and preached humility when praising God. That's what these Facebook posts really are doing, is just giving people bragging rights. It's not even prothletising or evangelizing. It's simply yelling, "Look at me! I'm such a great person who loves Jesus! Share if you do too!" Bonus un-Christian points if you check who shares and unfriend the people who don't.

Comment

Speaking of the Jesus stuff ......a guy on my friends list posted a pic with the caption "Is there room for me on your wall?", and the pic was of Charles Manson.

Comment

Working...
                              X