bad pet behavior being considered "cute"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bad pet behavior being considered "cute"

This is more or less a rant/vent because my facebook feed is becoming overloaded with photos and videos of what is either: bad behavior, bad training, or borderline abuse** with stuff like "ZOMG so hilarious/cute/funny" etc.

And when I point out it's not and shouldn't be because it's detrimental to the animal and sharing this kind of stuff is really bad because it encourages others, *I'm* the bad guy and "I need to lighten up, because it's hilarious"

One stellar example was I pointed out that the behavior depicted was a dominance behavior and should be reeled in lest it cause issues in the future. The response was "my uncle's dog attempts to exert dominance over every dog it meets, they just fight it out among themselves, it's fine." another response was "animals aren't human, they're unpredictable, and you shouldn't expect them to behave"

And these same people then get an animal without knowing anything about it, post similar videos of their own pets, and then a few months later are complaining because it's soooooo badly behaved and they don't know why(usually followed by a plea for someone to take it or they'll take it to the shelter, and a few months later the cycle repeats).

aaarrrrrrgggghhhhhhh!

(don't get me started on the supposedly "cute" pet shaming nonsense as I've noticed 99% of it is either the result of bad training or behavior that is normal for the pet*, unless you train them not to, but again, they got an animal without bothering to learn about it.)

*like the "don't leave drinks unattended the cat is an asshole", no the cat is a cat exhibiting normal bored feline behavior.

** stuff like tranced rabbits being used to hold cell phones or *enjoying* a bath, toddlers pulling animal tails/ears
    Last edited by BlaqueKatt; 10-22-2015, 03:56 PM.
    Registered rider scenic shore 150 charity ride

My parents have tiny dogs who are not well-behaved, and jump on guests, lick their faces, eat their food, tear their nylons, bark incessantly for no reason, etc. and when I point out that guests don't like it (and I don't like it when I visit) they accuse them and me of hating dogs. It's turning into a berserk button for me because I've explained to them many times the difference between being a dog hater and being really annoyed by bad dog behavior.

The only thing I'll credit them for is they've tried discipline and training, but it's a difficult process. The breed they chose is just a naturally hyperactive one that, if you put on a treadmill, could possibly power the whole town for decades.

Comment

Ugh. My aunt has 3 annoying, yippy little dogs. Two of them--the Lhasas--aren't so bad. They'll shut up and relax once they get to sniff you....and then demand that you pet them. The other one, Lily (a chihuahua), is a pain in the ass. Or, the ankle/hand/foot. That is, Lily bites. For whatever reason, my aunt doesn't seem to think that's a problem. The last time I was over at her house, Lily bit my dad, tried to bite my mom, and lunged at my ankle.

Fed up with my aunt's refusal to deal with her damn dog, Lily got a foot upside the head. I wasn't trying to hurt her, but just shove her away. Naturally, I got bitched at. Of course, I lost it. I went off on my aunt and said that if her damn dog bit me...that brand-new BMW SUV she arrived in would be mine. I'd sue her ass, in other words.

That wasn't enough to shut her up. What *did,* was the mention of the possibility that if Lily ever went outside, and bit some kid...she could easily get herself into trouble.

Comment

Purse rats fall into this a lot. They're small so its "cute" instead of miserable behaviour by an ill trained dog. Their behaviour gets encouraged instead of discouraged.

Also, being an asshole is normal feline behaviour~ ;p

Comment

Originally posted by BlaqueKatt View Post
          (don't get me started on the supposedly "cute" pet shaming nonsense as I've noticed 99% of it is either the result of bad training or behavior that is normal for the pet*, unless you train them not to, but again, they got an animal without bothering to learn about it.)
          Or generally irresponsible owners. Case in point: picture of a cat with a sign that says, "I got out, partied all night, and came home pregnant."

My in-laws have pretty bad dogs. One, a Japanese Akita, is incredibly territorial and an outdoor dog so it's nearly impossible to make it into the house if there isn't someone she knows holding her collar. Another, a gigantic pit bull/boxer mix, fights with the Akita if she's given the opportunity but is otherwise the sweetest dog, she just likes to think she's a lap dog and you get yelled at if you try to push her off of you. They also have a chihuahua who'll threaten you if you hug someone, and a chihuahua/terrier mix that has way too much energy, likes to jump up and nip at fingers, and stinks no matter how many baths she's given.

Some animals really do just have bad personalities, though. My mom (who is a licensed dog AND cat trainer and has a degree in veterinary technology, making her pretty much perfect for the role of fostering kittens and puppies) has successfully raised dozens of kittens to be adopted out and a few that she kept, but she has one cat that just doesn't like people. I bottle-fed him myself as a kitten but he doesn't like anyone, doesn't want to be petted, and in general wants nothing to do with people unless they have food or something that crinkles or jingles. He doesn't bite or scratch though, just hisses and swats with sheathed claws.

That's no excuse for people who really just don't train their animals (which, sadly, are the rule rather than the exception) but it is something to consider. Even the best training can't do it all.

Comment

Originally posted by Gravekeeper View Post
            Purse rats fall into this a lot. They're small so its "cute" instead of miserable behaviour by an ill trained dog. Their behaviour gets encouraged instead of discouraged.
            This is true. The first time I saw a well behaved chihuahua, I actually asked what breed it was because I simply could not believe this tiny dog, sitting patiently waiting for it's owner to fill a small water bowl was the same breed as the one not 15 feet away lunging at everyone and growling.
            Registered rider scenic shore 150 charity ride

Comment

I have a French Bulldog/Chihuahua/Terrier mix. The biggest worry I had was him decided that he needed to nip someone. I don't believe in letting dogs bite or nip for fun or entertainment. The strange thing people try to encourage this behavior from him by picking on me. That doesn't end well for them. It annoys me that people think that it's cute. Behavior like that isn't cute in a big dog, why is it cute in a small one.

I've taken my dog to as many places I could when he was a puppy. Home Depot, Lowes, Chiropractor, and restaurants to name a few places. He's always been well behaved to the point he gets treats. He's quite, doesn't nip, and is affectionate with adults. There is still his issue with children but that's mostly due to how quick they move. He normally hides next to me while I try to convince the kid that grabbing at him was a bad idea.
              "Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe" -H. G. Wells

"Nature, to be commanded, must be obeyed" -Sir Francis Bacon

Comment

Working...
              X