This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gay Marriage

Okay... lets just get this one out of the way... It's a 'big issue' (pft, it's barely an issue at all). So lets see how you weigh in!

Gay Marriage, should it be legal? Should it be outlawed? Should it be called Civil Union instead?

My opinion? Anything else besides Marriage is insulting to a couple, and seems to be establishing that a gay couple is lesser than that of a straight couple.

Marriage is not a sacred thing. Marriage is a contract between two people and the government. By becoming married the couple will help to stimulate the economy, in return for making it easier to live together and make a family.

This is, down to the bone, a religious argument. And therefore already lost. Church has no place dictating what happens between the state and it's people. But... I'm a fair man.

Anyone here who does NOT believe gay marriage should be legal (I doubt theres many here.) Give me one reason that is not based on religious belief. One reason why gay marriage should not be allowed that has nothing to do with that near two thousand year old book... Or ANY really really old book.

There ya go. The challenge is set! But... Go on and just leave your opinions if you agree with me.

I never did understand the justification that gay marriage is bad because it "threatens traditional marriage". It takes nothing away from marriages between a man and a woman. I'm more than happy to let gays marry, tweak about the "perfect wedding", bicker, and divorce like everyone else

The only thing I can think of is that they think it somehow dilutes the concept of marriage to have more than one set of genders marrying. But the definition of marriage has changed so much over the centuries, including ceremonial marriages to inanimate objects to polygamy, that it frankly shouldn't matter in my opinion.

Part of me just thinks some people are just freaked out about butt secks or something.

On a related note: http://nymag.com/news/features/33520/
    I find it very interesting that sexual orientation is associated with a higher rate of certain morphologies. Take THAT, Straight to Jesus crazies!

Comment

I think this might have come up once before, and I'll say it again: If gay people want to be miserable like the rest of us married people, let 'em.

But seriously, the other poster's comment that marriage has changed over time caught my eye. I'm in an interracial marriage myself, and in the not too distance past, even that would have been illegal.
      --- I want the republicans out of my bedroom, the democrats out of my wallet, and both out of my first and second amendment rights. Whether you are part of the anal-retentive overly politically-correct left, or the bible-thumping bellowing right, get out of the thought control business --- Alan Nathan

Comment

Originally posted by MadMike View Post
        I think this might have come up once before, and I'll say it again: If gay people want to be miserable like the rest of us married people, let 'em.
        Damn, that's what I've been saying all along!

I have never been in a discussion where I was part of the minority dealing with gay marriage. In my sociology 101 class, we were talking about gay marriage. My teacher and I seemed to be the only ones willing to argue for it. The main argument against it? "My religion says it's wrong." So even though it has NOTHING to do with them, they still want to deny other people their rights to be together.
        Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Originally posted by Greenday View Post
          The main argument against it? "My religion says it's wrong."
          You can't argue with that. When religion is brought into a discussion, all reason-based argument ceases. When someone is basing their argument on what someone or something else told them, they've stopped thinking critically.

There's no acceptable reason why homosexuality should be considered wrong or antithetical to the common good in this age of overpopulation and assisted reproduction. There's no reason why gays shouldn't be able to enter into what is essentially a business contract with themselves and the government should they desire to do so. Of course, no church should be forced to participate.

The gay marriage debate is about the separation of church and state. There's a vocal and misguided group of citizens who believe that America was founded by Christians (not true) based on Christian principles (also not true). They're the ones driving this debate...I suspect that the majority of Americans would prefer to live and let live and get the government the hell out of their bedrooms.

Comment

About 10 minutes from me, a female couple is trying to sue the town because the town will not let them get married in that town. Now, normally I'd agree with them, but this town is extremely small and is owned by a religious organization. So since it's technically private property, I can't exactly agree with the couple for trying to get the town in trouble.

http://www.stephenhyland.com/2007/06...grove_mar.html
            Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

I live in the only state in the US that has completely legalized gay marriage. Our state government has even made sure that this issue will not hit the ballots since they feel it is a right, just like a straight couple has the right to marry. I must say I have not noticed a difference since it became legal, haven't seen more gay couples, our divorce courts are not flooded, most people don't notice. I personally think its great.

The only issue seems to be the very religious people who write in to the newspaper every day and tell us we're all going to hell because of this and it's an insult to them and protest at the courthouse. I don't understand why they care? It doesn't hurt them any.

One of my coworkers told me the other day that "That's why there aren't many whites anymore, they're killing themselves off and all becoming gay" (he's black) He says the only gays are whites and that our schools here in MA are trying to teach his children to be gay before their old enough to know better. (The schools read books that involve children with 2 mommies or divorced parents to introduce kids to different family type, try to reduce the amount of hatred and teasing) I personally think he's a bit paranoid I've seen some ridiculous stuff come out of the gay marriage debate, and almost none of it is from the people it directly involves

Comment

The church owns the land the people live on? I don't think I'd dig that.

I don't know. It sounds like the church is letting other people get married there with no issue. Substitute the word "black" in that story and see how it looks now.

Comment

Yeah thats definately not a good thing there. What other sort of cult like activities goes on within that place I wonder.

Comment

The town is owned by a Protestant group, so it's not like it is extremely strict with everything. There have never been any problems with the church and the people who live there, even for the non-Christians. I agree that it's kinda stupid, but since it's privately owned land, they can choose what can and can't be done on it.

Comment

I don't have any problem with gay marriage. I also don't have any problem with some religious institutions saying it's wrong - that's the job of religion (to tell people how to live).

I'd have a problem if a gay couple insisted that they should be able to marry in a church that forbade gay marriage.

Rapscallion
                      Proud to be a W.A.N.K.E.R. - Womanless And No Kids - Exciting Rubbing!
                      Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

And that's precisely what that particular couple's point was. They wanted to get married in what is pretty much a public place, not in the church.

Comment

Again it seems everyones in agreement. Figured as much, and maybe it doesn't need to be said as people were just throwing it out as their opinion, but of course Churches would have EVERY right to refuse to marry someone.

Hell, most churches are just a ceremony. I mean you're technically married the in the court house when you sign your marriage license. And there are plenty of people who can marry you besides your holy man of choice.

If I owned a boat I could marry you.

But of course, no Church should ever be required to marry anyone they do not wish to. As that would be the STATE stepping into CHURCH, which is just as wrong. But there are plenty of Churches of both Christian and alternate religions that have no problem with marrying two dudes, or a couple of chicks.

But man... Nobody here against it? Not ONE person can come up with a reason that has nothing to do with religious beliefs?

So why the hell isn't it legal?

Comment

Because the majority of the country blindly follows their religion and their religions say it's wrong because that's how it's always been. And, since the government uses religion as a way to control the people, it will use religion as an excuse to achieve its goals. In this current government, they don't want gay marriage so they play on the fact that many religions ban homosexuality.

Comment

I was amazed that a gay marriage ban passed here in Oregon of all places. I thought for sure that the state of hippy love and hairy toes would be able to rally a stand for equal rights for all, but apparently not.

Comment

Working...
                              X