Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should Mother Theresa be on a Postage Stamp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should Mother Theresa be on a Postage Stamp?

The Freedom From Religion Foundation says no

They have no objection to Martin Luther King, Jr. being honored with a stamp(it's incidental that he was a Baptist Minister, he was a great civil rights hero - though he's usually revered to as the Reverand King). They also don't have a problem with Malcolm X being honored (because he's just a racist, he's not really known for being with Nation of Islam).

Mother Theresa shouldn't be honored because:

1. The Postal Service has a "law" against honoring someone with a religious background on a stamp because it might look like they are pushing the ideology of a certain religion over another.

2. Mother Theresa is a Roman Catholic and a nun, therefore she only did her good deeds because of her religion and not because she actually cared about the well-being of the poor in India.

Oh yes, they do have the Virgin Mary on a stamp, since the 1960's, but that's all good because she's a Mom. (Never mind she was a mom to a man who turned the ancient world on its ear by inadvertantly creating another religion instead of "rehabilitating" the Jewish faith, which he was trying to do).
    Oh Holy Trinity, the Goddess Caffeine'Na, the Great Cowthulhu, & The Doctor, Who Art in Tardis, give me strength. Moo. Moo. Java. Timey Wimey

Avatar says: DAVID TENNANT More Evidence God is a Woman

Well I think their reasoning is hypocritical considering the others that are on stamps. I think I would just object because I don't see the point in putting people on stamps in the first place Really what does it accomplish? It's not like people are staring at these stamps ooohing and aaaahing over it.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
    Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

What are stamps? Are they a new way to send email?

Kidding. But seriously yeah put it on there. She did good work.
      Jack Faire
      Friend
      Father
      Smartass

Comment

The work she did has nothing to do with being Catholic. She was an amazingly loving woman who did tons of work to help people. Who cares what religion she was?
        Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Telecom_Goddess - if not peoples on the stamps, then what? Flowers? Just wondering. I never understood having a stamp of a person - to "honor" that person - usually the person they're honoring are dead, so how does Martin Luther King, Jr., Malcolm X, and Mother Theresa know they're being honored?

Yes, yes, I know mailing letters/bills/whatever is antiquated and whatnot (), but it still is around and there are people making a big to-do about it.

I'm a Roman Catholic, but even if I wasn't, she did do great work in India, for the poor, helping them out, and should be honored.
          Oh Holy Trinity, the Goddess Caffeine'Na, the Great Cowthulhu, & The Doctor, Who Art in Tardis, give me strength. Moo. Moo. Java. Timey Wimey

Comment

When I think Mother Theresa I don't think "Catholic", I think "helped the poor". (The same idea applies to MLK.) Given who else they have on stamps, I say go for Mother Theresa (she's certainly nicer than Malcolm X).

Comment

I never understood as to why have people on stamps. Seriously, why? Just have something else on there.

Comment

Out of curiousity, are there any stamps with pictures of stamps on them?
                "I take it your health insurance doesn't cover acts of pussy."

Comment

Originally posted by Greenday View Post
                  She was an amazingly loving woman who did tons of work to help people.
                  Really?

Mother teresa's crimes against humanity

yup washing disposable needles in cold water because the money she collected was needed to open convents rather than buy medical supplies for the poor she was "helping"(sold donated supplies on the black market). Claiming abortion is the greatest threat to world peace, saying princess Diana had a right to divorce but not anyone else, writing letters to the court that embezzlers were "friends of the poor"(though they stole from the poor) and should be treated leniently because they sent her checks-and when she was given proof of their wrongdoing refused to return what was life savings of people bilked by these men.

yeah lovely person....
                  Registered rider scenic shore 150 charity ride

Comment

Originally posted by IDrinkaRum View Post
                    Mother Theresa shouldn't be honored because:

1. The Postal Service has a "law" against honoring someone with a religious background on a stamp because it might look like they are pushing the ideology of a certain religion over another.
                    I find that "law" laughable. Why? Well, looking through my stamp collection, I see that starting in 1970, quite a few "Nativity" scenes appeared on Christmas stamps, even going so far as to print Jesus and Mary in a 1975 issue. That's actually a pretty common image, and shows up every few years. Not enough religious images for you? Well, St. Francis of Assisi was honored in 1982.

But, I do know that the US Postal Service, along with the US Mint, will *not* depict someone that is still alive. If they do, it's usually a general issue, like the stamps honoring Korea and WWI veterans in '85.

With all that said, I think the real problem here, is that this group simply doesn't like the fact...that much of her work was done in India.

Comment

Originally posted by protege View Post
                      With all that said, I think the real problem here, is that this group simply doesn't like the fact...that much of her work was done in India.

um read the links I provided-in Calcutta her main base of operations the local populace despised her-only in America and Rome was she considered "amazing" and did sooo much good-because only the "good" things were written by the press-

the washing needles in water and reusing them she even did in Africa during an EBOLA outbreak-thus spreading the disease further faster than it would have spread on it's own.....but you won't hear about that at all.....

opening up one orphanage in Calcutta does not negate the fact that the donations she solicited "for the orphans" were actually used to open over 150 convents and NOT for the orphans.
                      Last edited by BlaqueKatt; 01-31-2010, 10:03 PM.
                      Registered rider scenic shore 150 charity ride

Comment

Uh, I didn't get that at all. What I did get, is one guy's *opinion* about her.

I also noticed, that in the link at the very beginning of this thread, that the group protesting...has problems with Mother Teresa because of some alleged skeletons in the closet, yet doesn't seem to have any with Malcolm X. The guy who wanted a civil war in the US, based on skin color? Funny how Mother Teresa is getting flak, but he isn't

Comment

Originally posted by protege View Post
                          Uh, I didn't get that at all. What I did get, is one guy's *opinion* about her.
                          Yeah, I didn't see a lot of references, links, quotes, or actual facts to back up a lot of the claims.

It's nothing I haven't heard before, though.

Anybody can skew a story to their preconceived notions if they try hard enough.

Then again, maybe a lot of it is true.

I don't know.

I just don't see what the big deal is about a postage stamp.
                          Point to Ponder:

Is it considered irony when someone on an internet forum makes a post that can be considered to look like it was written by a 3rd grade dropout, and they are poking fun of the fact that another person couldn't spell?

Comment

As a nun shouldn't Mother Theresa not want attention? After all Jesus went around telling people not to tell anybody about what he did for them. Mother Theresa should have been expected to be doing good regardless of whether she got attention or not

Comment

Yes, but the rest of us unwashed masses like to put people on pedestals for whatever X person did.

Actors because they can act.

Politicians because they're elected and doing "good things" for the country.

Religious figures (not just Roman Catholic figures) because they are pious and doing what is good for the people.

I don't care if Mother Theresa ever got on a stamp or not. I just thought it was interesting that people are complaining about her but not about the Reverand Martin Luther King, Jr. who was known to be a religious figure.

Comment

Working...
                              X