Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should Mother Theresa be on a Postage Stamp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

elsporko: I really doubt at this point that she cares whether she's on a stamp or not.

Don't see much reason anyone else would either. If you like the stamp, buy it. If you don't, get the ones with the flag or something.
    "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Originally posted by IDrinkaRum View Post
      [1. The Postal Service has a "law" against honoring someone with a religious background on a stamp because it might look like they are pushing the ideology of a certain religion over another.

2. Mother Theresa is a Roman Catholic and a nun, therefore she only did her good deeds because of her religion and not because she actually cared about the well-being of the poor in India.
      Where is this law? Citizens' Stamp Advisory Committee

Comment

Originally posted by Aethian View Post
        Quote from your link:
        Originally posted by USPS
        9. Stamps or stationery items shall not be issued to honor religious institutions or individuals whose principal achievements are associated with religious undertakings or beliefs.
        Help a friend!

Comment

But thats not a law, it's from the advisory committee. And things can be overthrown in a committee. Not honoring individual religious institutions is the same for the individual schools, communities, businesses, ect... There are too many to do.

If the committee was approached to do the idea as known people of history and not for what church they were from I can see them running at that angle. But because the USPS is a government enity just one person can have a snit that so-so is from *religion* and they are being biased against and throw up a suit against the USPS that could be won.

But again, it's not a law.

Comment

That's why I put the word in quotation marks.

Also, no one in the Postal Office chain is having the snit. The Freedom From Religion or whatever it's called is the one having the snit over Mother Theresa's honor. This, after they have admitted they have no problem with Reverand Martin Luther King, Jr. or Malcolm X (head of the Church of Islam and a known racist) getting stamps in their honor.
            Oh Holy Trinity, the Goddess Caffeine'Na, the Great Cowthulhu, & The Doctor, Who Art in Tardis, give me strength. Moo. Moo. Java. Timey Wimey

Avatar says: DAVID TENNANT More Evidence God is a Woman

Comment

Maybe its because black people have fewer representatives who deserve to be on stamps, so they have to let the religious ones in. White people have many who deserve to be on stamps who aren't nuns

Comment

The argument for pastor King is that his contribution to society was for the benefit of society (civil rights) whereas Theresa was more or less working to further her church in each instance.
                All units: IRENE
                HK MP5-N: Solving 800 problems a minute since 1986

Comment

What are these "stamps"? How do you put them on your e-mail?

Comment

You're cute, Fryk.

Comment

Originally posted by Fryk View Post
                      What are these "stamps"? How do you put them on your e-mail?
                      Top right hand corner, mate.

Bugger to get off the screen afterwards, but it's the correct ettiquette.

Rapscallion
                      Proud to be a W.A.N.K.E.R. - Womanless And No Kids - Exciting Rubbing!
                      Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

Thanks for clarifying :: ) I missed that section in Emily Post.

And to Boozy, in my best Rudolph voice I say,

"She thinks I'm CUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUTE!"

Comment

Originally posted by Wingates_Hellsing View Post
                          The argument for pastor King is that his contribution to society was for the benefit of society (civil rights) whereas Theresa was more or less working to further her church in each instance.
                          One could argue that his(MLK) ideals on Civil Rights was directly derived from his religious beliefs. This is supported by the sermons that he preached at his church. Thus, he is no different than Mother Theresa, who was also carrying out her duty, as she interpreted it.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobbs View Post
                            One could argue that his(MLK) ideals on Civil Rights was directly derived from his religious beliefs. This is supported by the sermons that he preached at his church. Thus, he is no different than Mother Theresa, who was also carrying out her duty, as she interpreted it.
                            That religion if present is related to creed isn't enough to freeze someone out of the system. If it were, we wouldn't have had many of our presidents and other elected officials because many of them get a substantial portion of their creed from their beliefs.

The difference is that King was doing what he did for the betterment of the nation, unilaterally. Whereas Theresa only ever did anything for the further of the catholic church, and it's members. She did some things for other people, but many of those paled in comparison with what was done for Catholics.

Comment

Originally posted by Wingates_Hellsing View Post
                              That religion if present is related to creed isn't enough to freeze someone out of the system. If it were, we wouldn't have had many of our presidents and other elected officials because many of them get a substantial portion of their creed from their beliefs.

The difference is that King was doing what he did for the betterment of the nation, unilaterally. Whereas Theresa only ever did anything for the further of the catholic church, and it's members. She did some things for other people, but many of those paled in comparison with what was done for Catholics.
                              MLK only ever did anything for African-Americans. He was selective too. I don't remember him talking about Hispanic rights, even though we were persecuted then, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobbs View Post
                                MLK only ever did anything for African-Americans. He was selective too. I don't remember him talking about Hispanic rights, even though we were persecuted then, too.
                                Nor anything for gays, or muslims etc.

Most everyone who ever tackled inequality like this did it one step at a time. It's not unreasonable to say that the Civil Rights movement benefited everyone. That blacks were the focus is a result of they're being the largest group at the time.

Comment

Working...
                                X