No announcement yet.

What's More Important: Art or Science?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Science is for people much smarter than myself.

I prefer to stick to trying every day NOT to color outside the damn lines.

Comment

Anyone want a perfect example of art and science mixing?

Here you go.

This is a picture of one drop of water hitting another at the moment the column of the first one forms. Without the understanding of water or the ability to record in the nanosecond, this would not exist.

Comment

Originally posted by blas87 View Post
        Science is for people much smarter than myself.

I prefer to stick to trying every day NOT to color outside the damn lines.
        inside the lines? where is the fun in that?
        I'm a happy, well adjusted emotinally disturbed person, who can't spell

Comment

I'm either an artistic scientist or a scientific artist.

Advances in art have influenced science heavily. Tricorders on Star Trek + about 30 years = cell phone. And then those things have offered at least me and pretty certainly many others more and more ideas for creativity. "Hey, cell phones were invented. ...what if a society of people got to the point of putting tiny chips in their brains and heads that can just talk to each other and eventually evolve to a hive mind and oh God where's my pen?"

I personally don't see a lot of difference between the two. The very best scientists typically also have the best imaginations. I mean, the scientific method and the artistic method can be summed up like "Hm, I wonder what would happen if X and Y." Granted, my mother has told me she'd prefer I imagine the results and write them rather than try them out, after the rather unfortunate brake fluid + baking soda incident...but yeah, you see what I mean.

Comment

Originally posted by MystyGlyttyr View Post
            Tricorders on Star Trek + about 30 years = cell phone.
            That's a communicator, not a tricorder.

Comment

Originally posted by MystyGlyttyr View Post
              I mean, the scientific method and the artistic method can be summed up like "Hm, I wonder what would happen if X and Y."
              The scientific method is a bit more complicated than "I wonder what will happen if I do this?"
              Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Originally posted by Greenday View Post
                The scientific method is a bit more complicated than "I wonder what will happen if I do this?"
                Right. It's actually "I think this will happen if I do that." And then you go do that and see if you were right.
                Any comment I make should not be taken as an absolute, unless I say it should be. Even this one.

Comment

Originally posted by BroomJockey View Post
                  Right. It's actually "I think this will happen if I do that." And then you go do that and see if you were right.
                  Still a pretty over-simplified version of it. Even the one they teach in schools isn't nearly as extensive as I learned it to be in college.
                  Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Originally posted by Greenday View Post
                    Still a pretty over-simplified version of it.
                    Just as Mysty simplified the artistic method, I'd say.
                    Any comment I make should not be taken as an absolute, unless I say it should be. Even this one.

Comment

Things aren't nearly as complicated as people try to make them. "What if I put a particle in this machine and smash it into the walls as hard as I can?" is on the same line as "What'll it look like if I take my paintbrush and do this with it?" Sure, people don't think it in such simple terms...I certainly don't, I typically end up with pages of equations when I try to figure things out. But really, it all boils down to What If, and you try to see if you got something that works or you don't.

Also, the question is which is more important, and some people take that to mean "useful" I think. My car is a ton more useful than my cat, I can do more things with it and it has better potential than a white fuzzball that sleeps for 19 hours a day. But to me, my cat is way more important than my car.

Comment

Working...
                      X