No announcement yet.

When does a joke go too far?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How many Super Saiyans does it take to screw in a lightbulb?

One; but it takes three episodes.
    "I take it your health insurance doesn't cover acts of pussy."

Comment

Originally posted by Bloodsoul View Post
      How many Super Saiyans does it take to screw in a lightbulb?

One; but it takes three episodes.
      Wow, that fast huh?

Comment

Originally posted by jackfaire View Post
        OH dear god they actually have jokes about that state? I know it's a state but I guarantee you that I could find at least 10 people that if I said the words West Virginia they would ask what part of Virginia is that in.

Not kidding people are stupid about geography
        Once, long ago, my 3rd grade teacher told us that she'd told someone in the Southern parts of the country that she was from West Virginia, and they asked her "Isn't that near Raleigh?"

But yes, try looking around Fark.com for a story about WV and see what the comment thread looks like.
        "The hero is the person who can act mindfully, out of conscience, when others are all conforming, or who can take the moral high road when others are standing by silently, allowing evil deeds to go unchallenged." — Philip Zimbardo
        TUA Games & Fiction // Ponies

Comment

Originally posted by KabeRinnaul View Post
          On a related tangent, nothing really wears on me quite as fast as West Virginia jokes. Mainly because a lot of the people who spread them seem to honestly believe they're a good description of the whole state. And while yes, there's an element of truth in it all (the coalfields counties, Chesapeake), they generally only apply to places most West Virginians try to avoid, too.
          I grew up in Southeastern Ohio, and for some reason, people there tend to like to rip on West Virginia and Kentucky quite a bit. I'll admit I've chuckled at a few West Virginia jokes. However, if it weren't for the signs up, I honestly wouldn't be able to tell Southeastern Ohio from West Virginia and Kentucky. For the most part, the people are about the same, and the land looks about the same, too.

Heck, sometimes we would go to the malls in Ashland, Kentucky and Huntington, West Virginia to do some shopping. Very nice malls.

Comment

And while yes, there's an element of truth in it all (the coalfields counties, Chesapeake), they generally only apply to places most West Virginians try to avoid, too.
            Throw Grafton, WV in there too. Been there many times to watch trains...and unfortunately, there's some truth to the WV jokes. Not all of Grafton resembles the stereotypes--there are some nice homes there...mainly in the outlying areas. However, the area up the hill (by the abandoned high school) is pretty shitty. Most of the homes are falling apart--one or two were quite nice, but the rest were dumps. Parked outside many of them, were rusty pickups with Confederate flags and gun racks in the windows. Still, many of the rednecks were polite...but they did keep a watchful eye on me.

Comment

Once, long ago, my 3rd grade teacher told us that she'd told someone in the Southern parts of the country that she was from West Virginia, and they asked her "Isn't that near Raleigh?"

But yes, try looking around Fark.com for a story about WV and see what the comment thread looks like.
              Meh I tell people I am from Vancouver and immediatly I am from Canada If I say Washington I am from our Nation's capital.

Online I can understand this but when I am across the river it is just sad.
              Jack Faire
              Friend
              Father
              Smartass

Comment

Jokes are like flirting. Watch for the reaction.

If your audience - all of your audience - is happy with a particular line of joke, keep it up. If you've upset a minority of your audience, switch topics. (Joke about the muddlepuddlians, not the polish, for example.)

If you've upset a majority of your audience, it's time to let someone else tell the jokes.

That's my rule of thumb for not taking it too far.

Comment

My rule of thumb if your standing in front of the firing squad you went too far.
                  Jack Faire
                  Friend
                  Father
                  Smartass

Comment

Originally posted by jackfaire View Post
                    My rule of thumb if your standing in front of the firing squad you went too far.
                    Or on a train to the Gulag... yup, you took that joke too far.

Stalin references don't count as provoking Godwin's Law, right?
                    "Oh wow, I can't believe how stupid I used to be and you still are."

Comment

Working...
                    X