No announcement yet.

Swearing when hurt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swearing is actually a pain reliever: http://www.time.com/time/health/arti...910691,00.html

I try to watch my mouth in public, but if it's just me, I sometimes say "fuckmonkies". Dunno how that got started. I assure you, I have never had that sort of relationship with a monkey, nor do I desire one.

Comment

Originally posted by bhskittykatt View Post
      "fuckmonkies"
      Great name for a band!
      "You are a true believer. Blessings of the state, blessings of the masses. Thou art a subject of the divine. Created in the image of man, by the masses, for the masses. Let us be thankful we have commerce. Buy more. Buy more now. Buy more and be happy."
      -- OMM 0000

Comment

Just found this thread, and skimmed over it.

As at least one person mentioned, I swear pretty freely, even at minor aggravations However, I'm careful around others.

Anyone with a TV, at least in the US, has likely seen the OveGlove commercials, especially this time of year. (Great product, BTW!)

The current one airing in my area, shows a woman pulling a pan of cookies, or something, out of the oven with a regular oven mitt, or potholder, and quickly let's go of the pan as the voice-over guy exclaims "OUCH!, and the woman quickly let's go of the pan.

There was a variant of this commercial, that aired maybe a year or two ago where, IIRC, the woman drops the pan in a more dramatic manner, perhaps actually onto the floor, and the voice-over guy screams "OUCH!!" , in a much more dramatic manner as well.

If it were up to me, voice-over guy would have screamed "SON-OF-A-BITCH!!", instead!

Originally posted by Nyoibo View Post
        I also have a tendancy to break what ever has just hurt me.

I have always had issues with inanimate objects, and their desire to frustrate me and make my life miserable. If I could be clinically diagnosed with any mental issue, it would be a paranoia that inanimate objects our out to get me.

Back when I had a house I had a commercial grade vise in my garage. Besides using it for it's intended purpose, I used it to destroy inanimate objects that had done me wrong.

Fiirst off, I'd take a moment to rationally decide if the object should still live, (unless the reason it pissed me off was by dying prematurely), and if it was something I could do without. If so, I'd take it out to the garage and clamp it down in the vise. Quite often, I'd leave any parts that didn't go flying across the garage in the vise, until I needed to use it the next time. I figured the extra pain would teach the object a lesson!

One object I recall, was a replacement oil screen for my '67 VW Beetle. They were made out of sheet aluminum, and had a ring around the bottom with holes pre-drilled to mount it to the bottom of the engine.

I'd replaced these things many times by then, and this one Just. Would. Not. Fit! They were pretty much one style that fit all of the VW air coooled engines over the years. I kept looking at the thing for whatever could be keeping it from fitting into place. Checked the mounting point under the motor for anything from the old screen stuck there that could be causing it. After plenty of attempts and cursing, the screen had the unmitigated gall to slice my thumb or finger open!

Oh yeah! You can bet I appreciated a sheet metal cut bleeding away, on my very greasy, dirty thumb! I'm not a phobe of such things, but that part pissed me off nearly as much as the pain did!

Yep! That brand new piece of shit oil screen met its demise in the vise! And the old one got cleaned up and went back on!

I also seem to recall taking my buddy out to the garage one time, to put a pic of his then recently ex-girfriend in the vise!

Mike
        If I Were a Master Debater, You'd Likely Catch Me Fratching on a Daily Basis!

Comment

I swear a lot anyhow, but you'd better believe I swear when I get hurt! Like others here, how much depends on how severe the pain is.

Originally posted by JustaCashier View Post
          I have always had issues with inanimate objects, and their desire to frustrate me and make my life miserable. If I could be clinically diagnosed with any mental issue, it would be a paranoia that inanimate objects our out to get me.

Back when I had a house I had a commercial grade vise in my garage. Besides using it for it's intended purpose, I used it to destroy inanimate objects that had done me wrong.

Fiirst off, I'd take a moment to rationally decide if the object should still live, (unless the reason it pissed me off was by dying prematurely), and if it was something I could do without. If so, I'd take it out to the garage and clamp it down in the vise. Quite often, I'd leave any parts that didn't go flying across the garage in the vise, until I needed to use it the next time. I figured the extra pain would teach the object a lesson!
          OMG, I laughed 'til I cried at this! I'm the same way, only more impulsive. I don't usually stop to think about whether I'll need that object later. When I'm pissed, I don't know my own strength. One time, I pushed my bedroom door open and it bounced back off of something, the knob hitting me quite hard near my hip. That fucking HURT! I grabbed the doorknobs on each side and started yanking on it, until I yanked out the bottom hinge from the door frame. Oops...oh shit! Had to get that fixed.
          Last edited by Rantsylvania 6-5000; 12-16-2010, 03:06 PM.

Comment

Severity of pain determines if/when I curse. I never curse normally..and most of the time if in pain (even up to somewhat severe) I will start but not finish. IE "Son of a ..." but that is all I will say. The only time I have cursed is when a door was slammed on my hand. Most of that was to motivate the other person to open up the door. ((They were quick about it, and no permanent damage was done)). I used words that would have made sailors blush then.

Comment

I'd replaced these things many times by then, and this one Just. Would. Not. Fit! They were pretty much one style that fit all of the VW air coooled engines over the years. I kept looking at the thing for whatever could be keeping it from fitting into place. Checked the mounting point under the motor for anything from the old screen stuck there that could be causing it. After plenty of attempts and cursing, the screen had the unmitigated gall to slice my thumb or finger open!

Oh yeah! You can bet I appreciated a sheet metal cut bleeding away, on my very greasy, dirty thumb! I'm not a phobe of such things, but that part pissed me off nearly as much as the pain did!
              I know what that's like. I was replacing the side trim on my MG, and did something similar. The side trim, is a long, chromed strip. Sort of like a channel, that's supposed to snap over 'plugs' riveted onto the side of the car. Putting the rivets onto the car was the easy part--apply some masking tape, drill a hole, apply the clear anti-rust stuff, then use the rivet gun to put the plug on. But, fitting the trim itself was a bitch. At either end, there are special plates that have to be slid *into* the trim section.

Imagine my surprise, when I'm trying to get one in...when it slips, and I cut the hell out of my thumb! There was blood on the plate, the trim section, the car, floor, and anywhere else I'm sure the rest of the neighborhood enjoyed me screaming "OH FUCK!" even though I had the garage door closed!

Comment

Originally posted by Ipecac Drano View Post
                Please tell me you don't use "Flapdoodle".
                no...more like frak or fuuuu---n times or some quick change if i can catch myself.

at worst da-stard instead of damn. either way lisa thinks its funny to watch mom make a face and hop around in pain
                Repeat after me, "I'm over it"
                Yeah we're so over, over
                Things I hate, that even after all this time...I still came back to the scene of the crime

Comment

I curse when I hurt myself sometimes but not always. I just make whatever noise comes out of my mouth.

By now I'm sure you're all familiar with the time I pinched my hand while loading a big piece of furniture into a customer's vehicle. I let slip with an S-bomb and the customer tattled on me. I got a talking-to.

Comment

That's pretty damn petty of the customer.

If you let out a huge stream of swearing, or cursed at them directly, and blaming them, or their car, then I can understand how they might be a bit offended.

As far as your talking-to over this non-issue; that should have been for the record only, so they can say they had done it, and should have been a simple; "I know it hurt, and blurting that out was a natural reaction, but try to be more careful next time in how you react."

Mike
                    If I Were a Master Debater, You'd Likely Catch Me Fratching on a Daily Basis!

Comment

As far as your talking-to over this non-issue; that should have been for the record only, so they can say they had done it, and should have been a simple; "I know it hurt, and blurting that out was a natural reaction, but try to be more careful next time in how you react."
                      It wasn't even that nice. It was, as I recall, "You swore in front of a customer and they complained. Don't do that again."

Whatev. The manager giving it was a worthless office-sitter and is no longer with the company.

Comment

Working...
                      X