Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "You're morbid!"

I have been called morbid on several occasions for the following reasons:

1. I read books on serial killers and true crime.

2. I have expressed a desire to visit Pripyat and Auschwitz.

3. I like to walk thru graveyards and read tombstones.

I understand in a way that a lot of people think that anyone dwelling on death and disaster is morbid, but just why is that a problem? Why is it a problem to read about such things, or to want to visit a place where disaster happened? I think that everyone should visit those places, cuz that kind of thing could have happened to any one of us. I like to visit castles too, but I've never had the same reaction from people when I say that.

Also, graveyards are interesting places. Ever read tombstones? They are often very moving and brilliant, and can also have wry humour.
    "Oh wow, I can't believe how stupid I used to be and you still are."

Oooh... if you're morbid, than so am I.

1) You know about CrimeLibrary.com, right?

2) Actually, this stuff is history. It's important to bear witness to the atrocities that have been committed to ensure that they will never become acceptable in the future.

3) Wait... tombstones are morbid, now? I guess all those little historical societies are run by flocks of morbid old ladies. Who knew?

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

1. Oh god yes. It's one of my favourite sites. ^^;; I also have loads of books on the subject of serial killers and true crime.

2. Exactly my thoughts. I don't see how it's morbid to want to visit Chernobyl and Pripyat, but that's what people say when I say that. I think that historically it could be a very interesting place; plus, I'd love to see all the (radioactive) animals that have made the place their haven. As for Auschwitz, I've noticed that the moment that I say that my family is Jewish on my father's side, people stop thinking it's morbid to want to visit.

3. Morbid old ladies... lol. XXD I will also add that post mortem photography is another subject I'm interested in. It's not morbid when you consider that back in Victorian times, people often didn't get a chance to get their kids photographed except when they were dead. Why is it bad to want a memento of a loved one? A lot of the photographs are beautiful.

Comment

Originally posted by Lace Neil Singer View Post
        3. Morbid old ladies... lol. XXD I will also add that post mortem photography is another subject I'm interested in. It's not morbid when you consider that back in Victorian times, people often didn't get a chance to get their kids photographed except when they were dead. Why is it bad to want a memento of a loved one? A lot of the photographs are beautiful.
        I just recently became interested in post mortem photography. I'm also interested in "disturbing" urban legends, different diseases of the human body, and other such "morbid" things.

Funny thing is, I am one of the most bubbly people you could ever meet.
        "It's after Jeopardy, so it is my bed time."- Me when someone made a joke about how "old" I am.

Comment

Originally posted by McDreidel09 View Post
          I just recently became interested in post mortem photography. I'm also interested in "disturbing" urban legends, different diseases of the human body, and other such "morbid" things.

Funny thing is, I am one of the most bubbly people you could ever meet.
          I'm a super-bubbly person, too, yet have a fascination with serial killers, especially cannibals, and urban legends.

Snopes.com is fun.
          I have a drawing of an orange, which proves I am a semi-tangible collection of pixels forming a somewhat coherent image manifested from the intoxicated mind of a madman. Naturally.

Comment

There are people out there that are fascinated with the artwork, architecture, and even "spirituality" that's associated with graveyards. Then there are the necrophiles and those into the occult. There are those that are interested in the psychological makeup of a serial killer, their motives, and what made them tick. Then there are those that have a sexual obsession with them and blindingly defend them in face of even their own confessions.

It all comes down to why you're into these things.
            Some People Are Alive Only Because It's Illegal To Kill Them.

Comment

I have a lot more morbid interests than any of the ones listed in the OP. I won't go into more detail, but I can see how others would find them rather disturbing.

Oh, and I'm normally a quite cheerful and optimistic person with a penchant for hugs.

^-.-^
              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I'm very interested in the same things, so is my mom at least when it comes to the serial killer thing. It's just interesting. I have a friend who drives me nuts because she's scared by pretty much nothing, she got creeped out by some of the music on the TV show Alias. She thinks I'm a bit strange for being interested in things like this.

Also, on a sort of side note, listverse is possibly my favorite website ever, well that and snopes. I could literally spend hours on those sites.

Then there are the necrophiles and those into the occult.
                occult

— adj
                1. a. of or characteristic of magical, mystical, or supernatural arts, phenomena, or influences
                b. ( as noun ): the occult
                2. beyond ordinary human understanding
                3. secret or esoteric

— vb
                4. astronomy (of a celestial body) to hide (another celestial body) from view by occultation or (of a celestial body) to become hidden by occultation
                5. to hide or become hidden or shut off from view
                6. ( intr ) (of lights, esp in lighthouses) to shut off at regular intervals

I don't see how that means it's a bad thing or comparable in any way to being a necrophile.

Comment

I love listverse and snopes. I've always been interested in death and the occult; I don't see why that's a bad thing. Back in Victorian times, death was talked about quite openly, given the high mortality rate, even children could not be shielded by it. Nowadays tho, it seems to be taboo to talk about death.

I've been to the London and York dungeons dozens of time too; does that also count as morbid?

Comment

Lace, it can't be any more morbid than loving to go to the Torture exhibit at Medieval Times because the devices are just really interesting. They even provide drawings on how it was used above the description.
                    "It's after Jeopardy, so it is my bed time."- Me when someone made a joke about how "old" I am.

Comment

People in our society are weirded out by death because we no longer have contact with the dead; the washing and preparation of the body is not given over to family members as it once was, but to professionals; the body is no longer displayed in the home but in a funeral home etc. Death has become a sterile, distant thing to us, something to fear because it is unknown.

I think a lot about how I want to be handled after I die, and being embalmed and languishing for years, not decaying, in a lead coffin is not in my plan.

So yeah, I'm totally morbid too. My mom was always creeped out by me in that respect until she started reading mysteries and now she's all about the serial killers.

Comment

The whole subject of morbidity came up when I first started getting interested in Chernobyl and Pripyat. I was told that it was "morbid" to be so interested in the cities. I don't agree. I have seen photographs that depict both cities as being beautiful.

I'm interested in serial killers cuz it's interesting, psychologically and also if you get behind the scenes. As well as books on serial killers, I also have books on pathology and forensics.

I always say I want to be cremated and become dust on the wind.

Comment

Originally posted by McDreidel09 View Post
                          Lace, it can't be any more morbid than loving to go to the Torture exhibit at Medieval Times because the devices are just really interesting. They even provide drawings on how it was used above the description.
                          I used to work at Medieval Times in Anaheim and for quite a while, I worked the door for that exhibit.

I once had Marie Osmond come out and mention some negative thing about it, then note the sign prominently displayed next to the entrance and comment that it was her own fault for not noticing it prior to entry.

^-.-^

Comment

My view is "Why is it wrong to be morbid?". I see the Goths and Emos slithering about and figure that they're not hurting anybody but themselves; especially the Emos.

I take great delight in watching "The Addams Family" and encounter people in real life who might have a dark (but not harmful) side and hope to be invited over to watch them wreck toy trains or some other macabre activity!
                            "You are a true believer. Blessings of the state, blessings of the masses. Thou art a subject of the divine. Created in the image of man, by the masses, for the masses. Let us be thankful we have commerce. Buy more. Buy more now. Buy more and be happy."
                            -- OMM 0000

Comment

I'm terrified of cemetaries and the like, but I look up things about history a lot. Bad things about history. Like the Russians killing millions of their own people, the Nazis, or even as far back as how slaves were punished way back into Roman times.

I think if you're using it to learn, it's fine. It's a whole other thing to actually try to mimick it or take it too far to heart.

Comment

Working...
                              X