couple aborts IVF concieved twins due to "they wanted a girl"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A few more things that I can think of.

First off, not all of us are like that in Australia I can assure you. We have pro-life and pro-choice just as much as everywhere else, however at least in my state, the anti-abortion nuts* tend to stick to the only abortion clinic in my state (some of the hospitals will do abortions but I have not seen any anti-abortion nuts hanging around my local hospital) rather than doing public demonstrations.

Secondly, IVF is not cheap ANYWHERE-the figures I've heard bandied about are around the $5000 mark per cycle (depending on the method it can be more or less). I hope the woman has enough money to be able to go through that cycle AND take care of her three sons, not to mention the legal dramas that she's going through to fight for it. On top of that, if they do decide to go overseas for their chance to conceive a girl, then it'll be the airfares, accomodation, the cost for a cycle THERE and especially if it's unsuccessful it'll cost more, then once the baby comes along, it'll be more clothes and more stuff for her specifically-unlike the boys, I doubt she will want to play with Go Go Diego toys and wear boys clothing (the baby stuf would be a possibility since I do believe that most onesies/romper suits are made with the nappy in mind, so the gender isn't an issue, but when you start hitting the 1-2 year old mark...). It's an expensive decision, and all because she wants a girl.

Thirdly, I sincerely hope that these two aren't the type to be relying on government handouts.....

*=by anti-abortion nuts, I tend to mean the ones who hang around clinics claiming that "abortion is the devils tool" and shoving plastic foetuses and metal implements in front of women's faces. I don't mean pro-life folk in general.

Comment

Originally posted by Hyena Dandy View Post
      The 'leave a child on the mountainside' thing was hardly widespread, and certainly never was done simply on account to gender. Even Henry VIII didn't kill his daughters, no matter how much he wanted a son.
      I regret that I must disagree with you. Female infanticide has historically occurred in cultures and areas wherein son preference was promoted and females regarded as a lesser species. While this is less common in Northern Europe historically due to a remarkably high infant death rate, it has been historically far more common worldwide. Today it is being replaced with sex-selective abortion.

Comment

Good lord. I'm in the minority as pro-life (I must come to accept this, LOL), but this is just adding insult to injury, as it were.

My aunt and uncle had three boys. The third was a last attempt for a girl and clearly came out male. And you know, they dealt with it like adults and loved their children either way. *shrugs*

It's scary to think what sort of environment these kinds of kids grow up in--either being forever hated for being the wrong sex or having their brothers killed because that's how much mom values boys. I mean, imagine being a boy in that case, frankly, and knowing mom was so put off by boys she'd rather have them aborted than have to live with another under her roof.

Comment

Working...
        X