Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• apparently to some people being raped is a sin

horrifying story here

A mentally disabled girl was brutally raped and her mother refused plan b, because in her words "What child deserves to die due to a parent’s sins and brutality?" So she believes her daughter being raped was her daughter's sin. She does not deserve to be a mother. Especially after telling her daughter that plan b causes an abortion(most zygotes don't implant anyway, is menstruating abortion?). I'm just sick and disgusted by this.

What really gets me is the comments, telling the mother how strong she's being when "her faith is being tested", NO she's not risking anything, she's risking her daughter, and lying to her to push her f'ed up morality on someone who can't really comprehend what's happening.
    Last edited by BlaqueKatt; 02-06-2012, 12:26 AM.
    Registered rider scenic shore 150 charity ride

I think the "sins and brutality" bit was about the rapists, not the daughter. So the baby shouldn't be punished because dad's evil, not mom.

And the daughter operates on an 8-10 year old level. I don't think she could fully comprehend the full impact of taking the drug anyway. Which is why it's mom's decision.

As for birth control as causing an abortion, that depends on how you define start of life. For most Christians, life starts at conception (egg and sperm combine) so to prevent its implantation through birth control is the same as going in for an abortion.

Now, I will say that even as a pro-lifer myself, I'm not sure I quite agree with mom's decision simply because I think she should have had a full discussion with her daughter. But maybe she did and she's just summarizing. But based on the quote, I don't really like the tone. However, mom has guardianship, I'm sure, so ultimately, it is her decision, not her daughter's.
    I has a blog!

Comment

Originally posted by Kheldarson View Post
      As for birth control as causing an abortion, that depends on how you define start of life. For most Christians, life starts at conception (egg and sperm combine) so to prevent its implantation through birth control is the same as going in for an abortion.
      as stated above 60-80% of fertilized eggs(zygotes), fail to implant in a normal, healthy female that is not on any form of birth control, so if plan b is an abortion so is menstruation.

also abortion is the termination of a pregnancy, which begins after implantation(6-8 days after fertilization), if the zygote doesn't implant there is no pregnancy to terminate, so it can't possibly an abortion.
      Last edited by BlaqueKatt; 02-06-2012, 01:24 AM.
      Registered rider scenic shore 150 charity ride

Comment

Originally posted by Kheldarson View Post
        I think the "sins and brutality" bit was about the rapists, not the daughter. So the baby shouldn't be punished because dad's evil, not mom.
        Which then comes down to, someone has to lose, now the woman who was raped is going to be punished for being raped (or at least potentially so, I know women who have carried a child from a rape to term and have raised that child and love them dearly and are grateful they didn't abort, so it's not a guarantee this will be a punishment).
        So, we now are balancing plan b, which turns something that, as blaquekatt has pointed out, has 60-80% of happening anyway into something that is more like upper 90's% chance of happening, against forcing a woman to have a child against her will.
        That changes the equation greatly.
        "I'm Gar and I'm proud" -slytovhand

Comment

This is messed up.

My aunt is mentally handicapped. She is beyond the age where pregnancy can occur, but I couldn't imagine her being able to withstand the stress involved with carrying a child to term.
          When she was little my grandparents took her out of school so that they knew she would never get pregnant. This was in the 50s-60s and many of the mentally handicapped girls were getting pregnant generally on their way to or from school from what I've been told.

The girls mother in the article is not a paragon of faith as many of the commentators there state. She is an idiot with less business raising a child than her daughter is.
          I'm not trying to be insulting. I truly believe she fits the definition of the term.

Comment

That is just fucked up. Bad enough the daughter was raped, traumatized over it and is mentally disabled but worse is how her idiot "mother" is forcing her to keep the pregnancy to term! That's just fucking disgusting! I honestly don't see how the hell these religious and pro-life nutbags think that rape is a sin for one and two plan B pills being an abortion pill. Plan B just PREVENTS the egg from being fertilized by the sperm and implanting to the womb...RU 486 TERMINATES the pregnancy that already occurred. Huge fucking difference.
            Last edited by tropicsgoddess; 02-06-2012, 05:22 AM.
            There are no stupid questions, just stupid people...

Comment

I honestly don't see how the hell these religious and pro-life nutbags think that rape is a sin...
              Surely, by any reasonable definition of "sin," rape would qualify? I can think of very few things that could be more blatant.
              "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
                Surely, by any reasonable definition of "sin," rape would qualify? I can think of very few things that could be more blatant.
                I think it's fairly obvious from context that she mis-spoke and meant "being raped" not "raping" is not a sin.

^-.-^
                Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Originally posted by smileyeagle1021 View Post
                  That changes the equation greatly.
                  Not really. What the mother in the article is measuring is the the potential child's life vs. her daughter's vs. the guy who did it. Her point is that her daughter can run the risk and allow this child to have a life, if it implants, despite the fact the father is a douche.

It's called leaving it to God's will, and that does take a measure of faith. Now, assuredly, I don't know how being raped is a good thing, but I don't think a child from rape necessarily needs to be punished because they're from rape.
                  I has a blog!

Comment

The mentally disabled girl is being dehumanized by her mother.
                    Simple as that.

A horrible thing has happened to her child, she was attacked and raped.
                    There's a possibility that she could now be pregnant.
                    Right now, the mother cares more about the possibly fertilized single celled zygote than she does about her own daughter.
                    Her daughter has now been reduced to being an incubator.

I hate this world sometimes.
                    "Having a Christian threaten me with hell is like having a hippy threaten to punch me in my aura."
                    Josh Thomas

Comment

Originally posted by Rebel View Post
                      The mentally disabled girl is being dehumanized by her mother.
                      Simple as that.
                      This. This is what every pro-life person who wants to force a woman to carry to term does. They dehumanize the thinking, breathing woman involved over a potential person. It's disturbing.
                      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

A zygote is not a child.

If you're going to talk about "life" consider this: An ovum is alive. A sperm cell is alive. Every month, every woman of childbearing age who does not conceive has a "life" in the form of an ovum go down the drain. Every time a man has an orgasm, millions of sperm shoot out and also die, if they are not the "lucky" one who implants an egg. Life is profligate. It is abundant. We have "gone forth and multiplied" without regard to the consequences of other life on this planet, to the point that some places on this earth are in dire straits because of overpopulation. I can't speak for God or Goddess (and neither can anyone else), but I have to at least suspect that any divine power did not intend for children to be born only to die of starvation a few months later. Or to be beaten to death by parents who are not emotionally stable. Or any of the other things that happen to unwanted children. And the stance that "we don't know God's plan" is a cop-out, not an explanation. And God gave us brains and free will, so we don't ever HAVE to bear a child that we cannot love or care for.

Unfortunately, this girl's choices have been taken away from her, first by the rapist (scum of the earth) and now by her mother.

Comment

If she has the mental capacity of an 8-10 year old, will she be able to understand what's happening to her body? The morning sickness, the tenderness, the swelling? Not to mention the pain of labor and childbirth.

I hate hearing about "God's will" in these cases. If there is a God and it's his will that a mentally-handicapped girl would be raped and then forced to carry the baby, then God can go fuck himself with a rusty screwdriver.

Comment

I've heard the "why punish the child" reasoning behind a lot of women keeping their babies that are a result of rape.

And ya know, if they aren't mentally handicapped and are able to handle something of that magnitude, good on them.

This woman probably has no idea what happened to her, much less what will be happening to her in the coming months. I don't think it's right at all to force someone who isn't even mentally "all there" to have a child.

This just burns my butt.

Comment

Speaking of this matter with a friend, it occurred to me that perhaps the mother is ashamed that her daughter is not a fully functioning individual and might be angling for the grandchild in the hopes that she will have the opportunity to raise a normal child to make up for the daughter.

This is, of course, all complete speculation, but I've known people who would do such a thing.

^-.-^

Comment

Working...
                              X