No announcement yet.

Your a goth I'm a uhm well I dunno

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Age and personal maturity can be a factor here. Many people in their twenties (or in this stage of personal maturity, at whatever age) are attempting to define themselves, still.

As part of that definition, they collect in peer groups; and attempt to define themselves with dress, behaviour, and common artistic choices. It's not that much different from high school, but they're (usually) learning to diversify within their groups at least somewhat.

Look for groups of people who are 30+, who share common interests with you. Any common interests. It's possible that there, you'll find people who overlook your clothing and are more willing to see you.

... that said, I'm in my 40s and have a small collection of corsets, and a rather larger collection of cameos ....

Comment

Originally posted by Seshat View Post
      Look for groups of people who are 30+, who share common interests with you. Any common interests. It's possible that there, you'll find people who overlook your clothing and are more willing to see you.
      QFT! Most of the people that I spend time with are at least 5+ years older than me. It seems like the majority of people around my age still have something to prove or need to figure out who they are, and I have no patience for that nonsense.

(Also, I'll still be wearing corsets when I'm in my 40's. I like them too much to give them up due to current society's perception of correct attire.)

Comment

I absolutely HATE What Not to Wear's belief that once you hit 30, it's time to give up clothing that's "attention getting". I also hate their mindset in regards to non-mainstream fashion, mainly that they don't get it at all, and try to force people out of it.
        I also hate that they tend to pathologize anyone who dresses in non-mainstream attire, saying that the person is only doing it to hide themselves or push people away, or that they're only doing it because they have something to prove.

As a youth, I was simply Not Allowed to wear anything unusual or attention-getting. Since I got picked on a lot, my parent's, and the school's solution was to force me to be a chameleon. Don't do anything that might draw attention. Don't say anything that might get attention. And for the love of heaven, don't wear anything that might get attention.

Now that I'm older and can select my own clothing, (and can afford to buy or make the things I really like), I like non mainstream things. I like Asian-inspired looks (even when they're not mainstream trendy), I like some styles of Goth and Cyberpunk, I like historically influenced and gypsy/bohemian stuff, I'm even inspired by the Cosplay asthetic, with its striking outfit designs and color schemes.

Comment

Originally posted by Mishi View Post
          (Also, I'll still be wearing corsets when I'm in my 40's. I like them too much to give them up due to current society's perception of correct attire.)
          I'm in my 40s. And as stated above, have a (small) selection of corsets.

Comment

A large number of my friends are into the goth/steampunk/industrial/scene scene. I enjoy listening and dancing to the music typically associated with it too, aside from dubstep. Although I'm unofficially "retired" now, I was once really big in the Rocky Horror community too.

I could go into a theatre showing RHPS, dressed in my usual jeans or shorts and a t-shirt and fit in fine. But if I go to one of the said goth/industrial/etc clubs a friend of mine is DJing at, or with a group of my friends, I get the stink eye for not being dressed as they are. I feel like I have to own a top hat or a monocle or put makeup on to fit in.
            Some People Are Alive Only Because It's Illegal To Kill Them.

Comment

I'm a goth kid at heart but I don't dress it often if ever. It can get expensive. Now I just wear what's comfortable and affordable. Tend to buy lots of stuff from Earth Bound Trade Company. Which then people label me as a hippy.

Comment

Ooh my kind of topic.

On days I don't work, I wear band shirts and board shorts/jeans (if its not 1000 degrees outside). At work, there is a set uniform but corporate wants the beauty advisors (gotta love the title) to look nice. I wear polo shirts and what not. Regular v-necks on our truck nights (and sometimes my workout shirts, since they are plain). When going out, it depends. Mostly jeans and one of my "work" shirts. I also wear men's clothes. I am a lesbian. Not really butch. Not trying to be. I just feel more comfortable in men's clothes. Not as clingy. I like to wear black more than anything. Its slimming, and black goes with pretty much anything. I also do my hair into weird wacky colors and styles. It is now a dark blue mowhawk.

I refer to myself as a metalhead/rocker chick, but thats due to the kind of music I like, not who I am as a person.

Comment

On the subject of going to goth clubs not properly attired...

Last October, I had the chance to go see Voltaire in concert in SLC. At a goth club. He's my favorite musician. I consider myself still somewhat goth at heart, although I like wearing very bright colors and matching random things together because hell, why not?

I went with my friend. And I wore rainbow tights and fluffy rainbow socks to the club. Everyone else was wearing black...or in some rare occasion, red.

I don't mind standing out and looking odd or goofy, it's just my personal aesthetic. I like looking odd! Nothing whatsoever to do with what I've gone through in life, what my personal beliefs are, etc. etc. etc.
                  "And I won't say "Woe is me"/As I disappear into the sea/'Cause I'm in good company/As we're all going together"

Comment

Bright colours can actually work with goth gear; I have a gothic style top that's hot pink and black, which I like to team with a black velvet skirt and stripy socks. I hate the idea that just cuz I'm in my thirties, I somehow have to change my style and wear sensible on the knee skirts and never show off a cleavage. Sorry, but no. As long as it's flattering, the right size and clean, I believe that people can wear what they like whatever age they are. If a twenty year old wants to wear a Victorian dress, then fine. If a forty year old wants to wear a mini skirt, then fine. I'd only object if people are squeezing themselves into clothes two sizes too small, dirty, stained clothes or wearing stuff that makes them look ugly, but only cuz I don't see the point of wearing clothes that make you look bad.
                    "Oh wow, I can't believe how stupid I used to be and you still are."

Comment

Originally posted by Lace Neil Singer View Post
                      I hate the idea that just cuz I'm in my thirties, I somehow have to change my style and wear sensible on the knee skirts and never show off a cleavage.
                      Me too as far as the changing my style thing. I see a lot of people my age, 31, suddenly dressing like their parents did at that age. I get dressing the way you have to for work but the way I dress for work doesn't and won't become my mode of dress I still love my hoodies.
                      Jack Faire
                      Friend
                      Father
                      Smartass

Comment

I love my hoodies too; especially the one with the glow in the dark dragon design. I will never stop wearing hoodies. XD
                        "Oh wow, I can't believe how stupid I used to be and you still are."

Comment

I have no idea which stereotypical style category I fit into. All my shirts pretty much look like variations of this one in red, white, brown, black, and purple, all with different patterns on them, my pants generally come in three colors- Black, navy, and brown.

Comment

That reminds me, I've been meaning to pick up an ankh necklace to symbolize my admiration for the Ultima computer role-playing game series by Origin Systems.
                            "I take it your health insurance doesn't cover acts of pussy."

Comment

My style is Preppy. I like to look nice when I am out and about. I cannot help it. I am not going to change. This now reminds me, I have to get cargo shorts, when I am in town again

Comment

Working...
                              X