No announcement yet.

Baby Showers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've always been against people asking for certain things, those damned registries for bridal showers/wedding reception gifts and baby showers.

You should be thankful that people will buy you stuff to help you out. I think that's just selfish to make a Christmas-like wish list, at a certain store, and expect people to follow it.

Comment

Originally posted by blas87 View Post
      I've always been against people asking for certain things, those damned registries for bridal showers/wedding reception gifts and baby showers.
      Bridal registries aren't so much about asking for things as for trying to make sure you don't get a dozen toasters when you really need a set of dishes.

^-.-^
      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

The concept of bridal/baby registries is a very good one. The only problem comes with the entitled people who only register at places like William-Sonoma or Pier One. We registered at Target and Wal-Mart and the only expensive items were the PS Vita and 3DS that we put on as a lark.

Comment

Ah, yes, the people who register at expensive, trendy stores all so they can go around saying, "Oh, by the way, we're registered at *insert high-priced department store*" with an air of authority.

Comment

A lot of relatives asked my Mom why we weren't registering for crazy-expensive sets of china and crystal. I'm just.... We don't need that stuff. We have plates. They're hand-me-downs, and not the pattern I would pick, but they keep the food off the floor. We need decent quality kitchen gadgets (can opener, pizza cutter, crap like that) and small appliances. (Fingers crossed for a toaster oven!)

ETA: Now, if someone is upper-class or upper-middle class, and all of those invited to the wedding are of a similar class, then registering at high-dollar places makes sense. The vast majority of those we invited are our friends who are either in college, recently graduated and just starting their careers, and/or new parents. Then we have the aunts and uncles who are all elderly or recently retired. It made sense for us to register mostly for things in the $5-50 range.
            Last edited by AdminAssistant; 05-17-2012, 04:12 PM.

Comment

My uncle and aunt when they got married had a registry at Macys. I'm way too broke for that. My grandmother helped out and payed 130 bucks for 2 towels and 2 wine glasses .

Comment

Another thing to note about registries is that you don't have to buy the items at the place where the registry is held. If you can find the same object (particularly important when dealing with color schemes and patterns) somewhere else for less, do that and inform the registry holder that it's been purchased outside of them so it can be marked off.

^-.-^
                Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Working...
                X