No announcement yet.

Host vs Guest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can't imagine showing up at someone's house totally unannounced/uninvited. At the very least, call ahead by a bit and ask "Can I come over."

The exception for me would be someone who lives pretty much literally next door. If a phone conversation about visiting is more time than actually just walking over, then that's something where I'd be at least alright with it. Because if I say yes, I've saved time, and if I say no, you didn't lose much of anything.

Anything else is both impractical and uncomfortable. I don't always like talking to people, and sometimes I don't want to do something. Or already have someone there. Or have promised to spend the day with someone online. Or am in the middle of a game or something. All sorts of things. It's just not at all reasonable, and if I don't want to talk to you,now you need to go all the way back. And that's just silly.
    "Nam castum esse decet pium poetam
    ipsum, versiculos nihil necessest"

Comment

My friend with the allergies and her family live about two hours away but come up sometimes to recreation in the area, and usually stop by on their way home (we also have planned visits). It's a good place to let the kids out of the car, use the bathroom, rip around the yard a bit and we often have supper. Sometimes they bring it, sometimes I make something. If I'm not home the door is never locked so they can still have a bathroom/food/run-around break. I don't mind, we've been friends for 30 some years, I pop in on her if I'm near her place (she's on the way to the city for me). It happens.

My SIL and family live about 6 hours away, and there are no pop-ins. Except last summer when they came to the area for a week vacation and asked ahead of time if I would be around if they could come over, which they did without requesting a specific day. That was okay too, except they brought Yip and Yap*. I expected them to, I just am not impressed with the dogs manners.

(*names changed to protect the annoying)

Comment

Originally posted by Hyena Dandy View Post
        The exception for me would be someone who lives pretty much literally next door.
        Or an emergency.

Comment

Originally posted by Aragarthiel View Post
          Or an emergency.
          Well, yeah, that goes without saying.
          "Nam castum esse decet pium poetam
          ipsum, versiculos nihil necessest"

Comment

Working...
          X