No announcement yet.

Hair Mishaps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I did the buns again last night. No curls, just waves this time.

Different result every time, I guess.

My little trick is that I twist and wind the hair into the buns while the hair is still more wet than damp, then when the hair is just damp, let it down and put some product in it, then re-twist and re-wind the hair into the buns again and leave them until it's dry, so that way they were "pre-treated".

Comment

For anyone with thick, long hair like mine - conditioning is a pain in the ass.

I found something that works really well.

I have a larged tooth comb that I keep in the shower with me. I put the conditioner in with my hands, but then comb it through completely. It evenly distributes the product and if you got too much in any one area, it moves it along to an area that needs it more.

Then I leave it on anywhere from 2 mins to 5 mins, depending on how much time I have and how much it needs it.

I am naturally very dark haired but keep it very blonde, so it gets damaged easily. I have to condition it alot.

Comment

I have super curly hair, if I don't use a really good flat iron it will not straighten properly and turn into a frizzy mess. Unfortunately I don't have a really good flat iron . I loved when my friend flat ironed my hair with her professional quality flat iron, I didn't wash it for almost a week (just my hair! :P). I wish putting my hair up in a bun would do something other than make it a frizzy mess....well it's okay while it's still damp when I take the bun out, but yeah, frizz when it dries.

I condition the living hell out of my hair. I rarely if ever use shampoo, I think one of those itty bitty travel size bottles could last me a year or more, but with conditioner 1 liter bottles last me a couple of weeks maybe. I use it to de-tangle though, and to moisturize my scalp some.

Comment

I used to use gobs and gobs of conditioner, honestly, an average size bottle would barely last more than a week or two.

Now I only use a bit, my hair is getting pretty long, but I noticed my hair stays a little more oomphy if I don't over-condition it. It's nowhere near in perfect shape, so I use a lot of leave-in conditioners or other serums while the hair is damp and drying, but it also means I can skimp a bit on conditioner and my hair still looks alright.

Comment

Yeah I condition to hopefully weigh my hair down some. :P Gets rid of the poof for the most part, the conditioner I've been using makes my hair really soft too and it's not one of those super expensive brands (it's tresemme if you're curious). Using shampoo makes my hair tangle like crazy, I only really use it when I've had a lot of product in my hair.

There is this oil stuff that my friend used in my hair when she flat ironed it, it's awesome stuff helped keep the frizz down and my hair looked super sleek (which is a pretty awesome feat, I have ringlet curly hair). It doesn't make your hair feel greasy at all either. (Now I sound like a commercial :P) The only problem being that it's pretty expensive, she gave me a mini sample bottle. I'll have to look up the name of it again, I can't remember for the life of me.

Comment

My hair is pretty easy. Wash it, brush it, put it in a ponytail. Easy.

Until I try to do...nearly anything, really. Then it's this evil rebellious mop and *arrrghhh*. Had a perm once. It laughed. Hard. Curls? Unroll as you curl. They last 5-10 minutes or so. Argh.

Comment

I have a serum from Sally that I use when I straighten my hair, I also bought a sample once of some really good leave-in conditioner. It made my hair extremely soft and fluffy.

I use Suave and Tres Emme for my hair nowadays. I can't afford salon stuff anymore. I really miss Paul Mitchell shampoos and conditioners.

Comment

I know how you feel, blas. I get my hair done at an Aveda salon, and it always looks and smells so good. I did splurge on some de-frizz spray to use before blowdrying and straightening (a sound investment, btw). But I can usually barely afford the haircut, much less $25/bottle shampoo. Right now I'm using the L'Oreal sulfur-free stuff. Seems to be ok.

Comment

Oh and for those who are curious the oil stuff my friend used was Orofluido. It smells amazing too, kinda like vanilla.

I really need to get the psoriasis on my scalp cleared up, it's horrible and gross, like dandruff on steroids. and it seems to make my hair frizz more, possibly because I'm scratching when I shouldn't be.

Comment

My serum from Sally is called Proclaim, it's less than $10.

I've only been to a Aveda spa once in Wisconsin Dells, I loved it. All we have are rinky dink spas here. Ehh.

I have a friend who cuts hair and she usually only charges me half price, and thankfully since I'm trying to grow my hair as long as possible, I don't go that often (I do my own trims).

I really miss getting two tones and highlights but I can't afford it

Comment

I know how you feel, I had a friend that was in hair school here and she did really nice highlights on my hair and gave me nice cuts. Unfortunately she finished and moved back to our hometown (which is a 15 hour drive northwest ). She did my highlights for free (when other people would have had to pay for the products). I so badly need my roots done, but I simply can't afford it as every place that does it is soo soo expensive. Hell until I find a job there will be no haircuts for me.

Comment

Oh, I hope my friend never moves away, then I'll be royally effed.

My friend can't do color at her work, because they are only cuts.....it's one of those walk-in places. I just know when is the best time to come in, and it works out great for me because it's just a couple of hours after work, so all I have to do is take a nap at my parents' place then go see her.

There's a girl at another place that does my color.....I'd be lost without her. The last color job I had done back in September, my mom paid for (we had a girls' day at the salon, I got dark brown two tone and my mom got blonde highlights).

That dark brown is now a coppery red that will eventually go strawberry blonde, then will eventually go to a brassy dark blonde until one day it will just strip out to my natural color. My hair HATES being darker than what it really is. It'll suck up and keep blonde as long as it wants, but anything darker.....especially reds.....nope. It's amazing how much it sucks in the dye and how bright and full it is when I first get it colored......but it just washes out so quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by Peppergirl View Post
                            I have a larged tooth comb that I keep in the shower with me. I put the conditioner in with my hands, but then comb it through completely. It evenly distributes the product and if you got too much in any one area, it moves it along to an area that needs it more.

I do this too, since my hair is pretty thick. Not only does it completely condition all of your hair, but it helps get it out pretty well. Plus, it saves some time on needing to comb my hair out of the shower.
                            "It's after Jeopardy, so it is my bed time."- Me when someone made a joke about how "old" I am.

Comment

blas, I wish I could help you, but my hair is the absolute antithesis of yours: long, thick, curly, dark brown, and sucks up conditioner like a sponge. One thing I know: since your hair is straight, the cuticle lays flat. Maybe if you rough it up a bit it will hold a curl better. Maybe try spraying it with salt water first? John Frieda makes a curl spray that has epsom salt in it that might encourage it to curl.

Comment

I got my taxes back a few weeks ago and got some highlights.

I also splurged on some salon products, since I could afford it. They were buy one get one free anyway (plus a free sample size of leave in serum).

Anyone who has colored hair and has the money, invest in Joico K-Pak color care.

I don't even have words to describe how gorgeous and healthy my hair has looked and felt ever since.

Comment

Working...
                                X