Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Greenday View Post
    Two things:

Comparing selling alcohol at work to serving alcohol at home is apples to oranges.

DrFaroohk, I'm 99.9% sure, was being sarcastic.
    Fair enough... I would hope he is being sarcastic about that. Sorry, but that is one of those arguments that just strikes a nerve since I hear it far too much at work from sucktomers who are being serious.

As far as comparisons are concerned, I don't think that's going to matter in the eyes of the law if minors are caught drinking alcohol. There is going to be an underlying assumption that some adult(s) who can legally buy supplied it to them. At least, that seem like a reasonable assumption to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenday View Post
      NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Eh, sarcasm is my second language so that's how I originally read it.

One's an official establishment. Another is your home. That's apples to oranges to me. Thus, since I carry my wallet everywhere with me, one of my friends should let me drink at their party. If my friend was working at a bar and their boss was around, I'd have no issues with them IDing me. Where do you come from that Nazis run your town?
      I live in new york, but its a county law, not a state law (meaning while my down can't do anything about it outside of it I could be more relaxed) and the law is due to too many idiot drunk teens that did stupid shit, so its their fault, blame them

still I am with everyone who pointed out that in the eyes of the law its apples to apples pure and simple they are in my home so I am responsible for their stupidity
      I'm a happy, well adjusted emotinally disturbed person, who can't spell

Comment

Sometimes in order to cover your own ass, you have to take control of the situations that could cause problems. It can be a cruel, unfair world in which we live. If you don't fend for yourself, no one else will.

Comment

Originally posted by linguist View Post
          most bartenders and store clerks have some sort of training or experience in spotting fake ids. how many people serving in their own homes have the same? i mean, unless it was a blatant and really bad fake, how would you know what an id from a state on the other side of the country looks like? do you keep a reference handy to check? or do you limit attendance at parties only to those who have an id from your state? finally, how protected are you if you serve to someone with a fake id? i know laws vary, but i have friends who've tended bar and have gotten fined after serving minors that presented fake id.
          HAHA, if you mean some sort of training as a "well the id is supposed to look like this" which if your a contractor and get dirty all the time I ahve seen some abused IDs that a legit but almost look fake. Then you have broken Ids which are a grey area some bosses say even if the date is valid and it is taped back together don't take it, others told me, it still a valid id.

We do have a book of all 50 state IDs along with Canada, few Us territories and I think mexico..... it pictures and a brief description of what the ID should look like, as far as having an actual sample to see what a "real" fake looks like so one would be easier to spot there is nothing like that.

I had a guy from NY pissed off because I stated hell all new york IDs look fake to me so I had to be really sure. They are a Matte finish, OH is glossy with hologram as are most the places around us. To see the NY hologram the book told me I needed to use a UV light. Then the guy was pissed I wouldn't scan his ID, at that point I pointed out our state uses magnetic strips not machine readable bar codes, so while I would love to have the technology to validate his ID, I just don't fucking having it.

Now, back to gun control.... The Nazi's required ID AND instituted gun control. [rabble rabble rabble} EVILLLLLLLL

Comment

Originally posted by linguist View Post
            most bartenders and store clerks have some sort of training or experience in spotting fake ids. how many people serving in their own homes have the same? i mean, unless it was a blatant and really bad fake, how would you know what an id from a state on the other side of the country looks like? do you keep a reference handy to check? or do you limit attendance at parties only to those who have an id from your state? finally, how protected are you if you serve to someone with a fake id? i know laws vary, but i have friends who've tended bar and have gotten fined after serving minors that presented fake id.
            actually I did have someone there who could spot fakes (honestly the only one of my friends who would give a fake isn't a friend its a sibling of a friend that caused drama by sneaking some beers at a picnic months before my party, she would have been the exception to the id rule, in that I wouldn't even bother iding her cause I KNOW she is underage)
            I'm a happy, well adjusted emotinally disturbed person, who can't spell

Comment

Originally posted by Boozy View Post
              That's in a bar.

LadyMage's husband was ID'ed in his own home.
              If you draw the line at her husband is ok but everyone else needs to show ID then you have to deal with all the people saying "but we've been friends since we were kids" or "but we are super close and you know me!" and sometimes it's easier to do an all or nothing to avoid having to deal with it or to make the point that absolutely everyone gets IDed, no excuses no matter what.

I guess the way I see it is, it's your house, a party you're hosting, and your rules. It's that simple. When I'm at someone's house even if it's just hanging out, I expect to have to follow their house rules. I would expect people to follow any rules at my house too. If they don't allow shoes on the couch, then even if I think it's silly, I keep my shoes off their couch. If I were to throw a party and the rules (which were clearly stated ahead of time) were that you needed an ID to enter, then I would expect people to either not show up if they had a problem with it, or bring their ID. Your house, your rules. Someone doesn't want to follow them then they don't have to be there. Fairly simple to me. And while I think I would have let it go if that guy had just told you "oh come on you know me!" jokingly while or right before pulling his ID, I would have been irritated which him taking the joke further as well.

Comment

Friend sounds like he was being a douche.

I would have no problem with showing my ID...especially considering I look about 14. I always carry my ID with me now...
                "And I won't say "Woe is me"/As I disappear into the sea/'Cause I'm in good company/As we're all going together"

Comment

For the friend, he was being an ass, IMO...though I'll admit I'd have kidded with you m'self (Though I'd have handed you the card, looked totally crushed, and asked "You don't trust me?" or the like...Obviously faking)

As far as carding her husband...it's a FAST way to make sure noone tries to get away with the 'but you know me!' line...You just point to your husband, and say "I ID'ed him!"...then they (hopefully) back down.

As far as the rules go...If it's decided weeks ahead of time that only people with their noses painted purple are allowed to drink...that's the rule *shrugs* If you think it's silly, or don't agree...argue it BEFORE the party, not *at* the party.
                  Happiness is too rare in this world to actually lose it because someone wishes it upon you. -Flyndaran

Comment

Working...
                  X