Your Story is BULLSH#T!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your Story is BULLSH#T!

Your response to that sucky customer was just a little too well phrased.
    There's no way you didn't get in trouble for saying that.
    I really doubt your manager is that fucking stupid or spineless.
    Yeah everybody just wants to hit on you.

Personally about half the stories I read on CS or Not always right I feel like at least part of it is fake, whether you're exaggerating, embellishing or just making shit up.

I just read one story today where I honestly just want to replay "That is such Bullshit"
    But doing so would probably land me in trouble, So here I am.
    I'm not naming names or pointing fingers, and in fact there are so many I would link but I just had to say this somewhere.

actually there is one I would link if I could find it, the notalwaysright story where the customer beats an employee with a stick while the manager laughs.
    Last edited by Ree; 08-03-2011, 11:36 AM.

You mean this one?

http://notalwaysright.com/brand-span...employee/12282
    I has a blog!

Comment

yeah that one thanks. I did a quick look but figured someone would post it if I mentioned it.

Comment

I kinda wanted to call BS on that one, too. I can't begin to comprehend a customer becoming violent with an employee and no one doing anything. Plus, if the store had any kind of surveillance at all on the registers (and in my experience most do), that employee just won an assault & battery case against the customer.

Though I don't see nearly as many questionable stories on CS as I do on Not Always Right or FML and it's clones (like MLIA).
        "The hero is the person who can act mindfully, out of conscience, when others are all conforming, or who can take the moral high road when others are standing by silently, allowing evil deeds to go unchallenged." — Philip Zimbardo
        TUA Games & Fiction // Ponies

Comment

The mods are aware of a certain number of tales seeming to be somewhat outrageous. We're pretty certain that there are some tales that are at the very least embellished.

The trick is in what we can do about it. We can ask openly for clarification of various elements. We can try and point out that something seems unreal.

We then get stampeded by a large swathe of members who are more than willing to believe a tale told well, not one that's necessarily honest.

We'd prefer honest tales. There's too many of those as it is. Storytellers will flock to audiences, though, and we try to be on the alert for them.

Rapscallion
          Proud to be a W.A.N.K.E.R. - Womanless And No Kids - Exciting Rubbing!
          Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

There are a lot of tales where the stuff posted reads too perfect or sounds too outrageous.

But, considering some of the things that show up in the news daily, sometimes things like that really do happen.

Sometimes you can tell, and others, you just have to either believe or not and move on.

^-.-^
            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Or then there's stories like Vinegar boy, which are so toally ridiculously stupid there's almost no way they couldn't be true.
              I am a sexy shoeless god of war!
              Minus the sexy and I'm wearing shoes.

Comment

It's tricky, because that a tale is told well does not necessarily mean it's false, and once in a while, "the perfect thing to say" DOES come to mind at the right time. Not nearly as often as some would have you think, of course. But sometimes it does happen... and we usually don't really remember everything directly. So details like the exact wording might come out a bit different, especially when it's not something that just happened.

Some stories I've told (whether here, there, or elsewhere, and not all work-related), if I see an older version, they don't line up precisely. Each was as I honestly remembered it as I was telling it, allowing for details that might be relevant to one context and not another, filling in what doesn't matter, etc., but even at that they don't always align perfectly... and I do my best to be accurate, because it just bugs me not to be. Others aren't so scrupulous about such things... and still others, of course, prefer an outlet for their fiction. But it can be hard to tell for sure.

Now, when an unbelievable situation just keeps on going, continually providing new material in a sort of soap opera... well, that's different.
                "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

I'm glad I'm not the only one who's suspicious of some of the stuff on CS. I don't think many of them are blatant lies, but I get the feeling there's a lot of embelishment going on. Like I don't think they all remember word for word what's been said. The few sightings I had I couldn't even figure out what the problem was other than some customer was making a big deal out of something that may or may not have been valid. Not to say that's true for everyone, as I admit I'm not always paying attention to things, but I don't think many people have such a picture perfect memory.

Just my 2 cents.

Comment

Originally posted by Nyoibo View Post
                    Or then there's stories like Vinegar boy, which are so toally ridiculously stupid there's almost no way they couldn't be true.
                    What's even more scary is that occurred in our state next door

there are a couple of occasions where I've doubted a story, but haven't said anything. Some of the NotAlwaysRight stuff I call bullshit on occasionally....

Comment

I'm suspicious of those people everywhere. I know a lot in real life. The big BS tipoff is when they say "...and ya know what _I_ said? I said....."

I get annoyed by the ones that just insult your intelligence too. Yes, you used to be a racecar driver. And you had the most kills in 'nam. Yes you were always telling off the general, and the president used to ask your advice on stuff. Sure, sure! I'm so dumb I believe that! Sure!

That being said, I don't always mind if someone tells a bullshit story if they tell it well. Sometimes it's more about the way it's told than the veracity of the statements. If I'm jst being entertained I don't mind.

Or if the embellishment is obvious. Telling me you told off the company president and got a promotion is going to make me really suspect your story. Telling me "I must've eaten a hundred hot dogs that day" is just an exaggeration to make a point. I know you didn't eat 100 hotdogs, you know you didn't eat 100 hotdogs, and you have no illusion that I really think you ate 100 hotdogs. It's just for effect.

Comment

I'm pretty sure the majority of actual dialogue is made-up. Probably because you won't have a notepad to write down everything that's said in a conversation. Generally, having seen some crazies, I assume that someone is telling the truth unless something impossible or absolutely ridiculous happens.
                        "Nam castum esse decet pium poetam
                        ipsum, versiculos nihil necessest"

Comment

Originally posted by DrFaroohk View Post
                          Telling me "I must've eaten a hundred hot dogs that day" is just an exaggeration to make a point. I know you didn't eat 100 hotdogs, you know you didn't eat 100 hotdogs, and you have no illusion that I really think you ate 100 hotdogs. It's just for effect.
                          Unless you won a hotdog eating contest that day, then possibly.
                          I am a sexy shoeless god of war!
                          Minus the sexy and I'm wearing shoes.

Comment

There are a very few cases where I do remember *precisely* the words used, even with age, mostly of the stupid question variety:
                            "Do you sell hamburgers here?"
                            "Your apple pies. Are those pies, or are they sandwiches?"
                            That sort of thing. But whole conversations? Never. And I readily admit to not thinking of the perfect answer to the first of those ("Yes ma'am. Billions and billions.") until later, as I was simply too stunned. But that's another possibility: if a situation repeats itself, THEN you might already have that perfect response ready.
                            "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

I often think stuff to say to a customer while dealing with an SC; I will post said thoughts in italics after what I actually said. XD I once had someone PM me saying, "You can't have said that to the customer; you'd have gotten into trouble!". I merely messaged them back, telling them to go back and read my post properly, especially the part where I say that my thoughts are in italics. Heard nothing back.

I always think that my stories can be quite dull compared to the stories of others, but at least mine are truthful.
                              "Oh wow, I can't believe how stupid I used to be and you still are."

Comment

Working...
                              X