Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pedersen checked that for us

Rapscallion
    Proud to be a W.A.N.K.E.R. - Womanless And No Kids - Exciting Rubbing!
    Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

Sometimes I have encountered SCs that I really wish didn't exist and that I was making their stories up... XD
      "Oh wow, I can't believe how stupid I used to be and you still are."

Comment

Originally posted by insertNameHere View Post
        Granted, most people likely don't have this sort of a setup and when they are in different locations they get IP changes.
        It was a lot more than just the IP with that dude.
        I was already suspicious.
        That was just more reason to question.
        I started pulling at the loose threads and the whole story fell apart.

Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post
        Originally posted by Sarah Valentine View Post
        It's for that very reason that whenever I was thinking about putting up my "hey, woman" story from a couple years ago I didn't. I wanted to, but I kept thinking that people would think it was fake so I didn't.
        It really is a shame that there are real people with real stories who are afraid to post them because of other judgmental jerks who can't accept that sometimes stuff like that really does happen.
        It's also a shame that people with a nasty case of VBS (Vinegar Boy Syndrome) and a deep seated craving for War Story status ruin it for those with legitimate stories.

I wouldn't question Sarah's story because it would be a one time thing.
        The ones I roll my eyes at are those whose every post is filled with the most incredible suckiness ever experienced in one day or week; they post the same type of stuff in every single post; it's so obviously embellished; the story is always capped off with the most melodramatic or karmic retribution imaginable.

When a new member posts with something along that line, I give them the benefit of the doubt, but if they come back repeatedly with more of the same, I begin to wonder if they are trying to make an impression.

With the exception of a few stories, I don't think anybody is lying.
        I do think there is a grain of truth somewhere under the mound of verbal poop, but they were worried it wouldn't stand on its own, so they added to it to make it more exciting.
        Last edited by Ree; 08-09-2011, 11:59 AM.
        Point to Ponder:

Is it considered irony when someone on an internet forum makes a post that can be considered to look like it was written by a 3rd grade dropout, and they are poking fun of the fact that another person couldn't spell?

Comment

Originally posted by Ree View Post
          With the exception of a few stories, I don't think anybody is lying.
          I do think there is a grain of truth somewhere under the mound of verbal poop, but they were worried it wouldn't stand on its own, so they added to it to make it more exciting.
          But I swear if maybe my manager had sided with him instead of with me Hitler wouldn't have started WW2!!!!!!
          Jack Faire
          Friend
          Father
          Smartass

Comment

Several years ago, there was a user on CS named Spaceman Spiff. I think we found out that he had been either embellishing his stories or making them up. In fact, I think he even staged his own death on CS, if I remember correct (created a new account under the guise of being a "friend" saying that he'd died in an accident?).

Yeah, I have no doubt that a fair portion of the stories on CS are either made up or exaggerated. Heck, maybe the writers just want to entertain people with a good story.

Comment

Originally posted by guywithashovel View Post
              Several years ago, there was a user on CS named Spaceman Spiff.
              *snickers* Am I the only one that finds that name combined with making up stories amusing?
              Jack Faire
              Friend
              Father
              Smartass

Comment

Originally posted by jackfaire View Post
                *snickers* Am I the only one that finds that name combined with making up stories amusing?
                No actually. Calvin and Hobbes was about a little boy stretching his imagination as far as it would go, and telling wild stories. And a friendship with a stuffed tiger.
                "I like him aunt Sarah, he's got a pretty shield. It's got a star on it!"

- my niece Lauren talking about Captain America

Comment

Now from the other side of the fence...

You can't always judge the truth of a story just by what you think might be inconsistencies. I frequently get "busted" on personal allegories because someone thinks they are clever...

For instance the story with the hospital bed - it's possible that someone who claims to be "In a hospital bed" yet has the same IP has had a hospital bed put in his home for recovery.

But then people nitpick on the inconsistency, he defends himself, but oh, defending yourself means you're guilty!

Of course you can judge it also based on what you know about the person. I know some people who are extremely outspoken and sharp tongued and I believe it when they tell me they told off the judge or his boss or whatever.

Comment

There's also a trend of implying that it's the posters fault for getting so many difficult customers. If the story teller would do something different, than maybe people wouldn't give them a hard time. Not a bad theory in practice, but there are unfortunate implications that somehow the employee is to blame for getting all this shit from people. It's a subtle way of blaming the victim for things they may not have any control over.

Comment

Originally posted by DrFaroohk View Post
                      Now from the other side of the fence...

You can't always judge the truth of a story just by what you think might be inconsistencies. I frequently get "busted" on personal allegories because someone thinks they are clever...
                      As I said, it was much more than that.
                      Last edited by Ree; 08-10-2011, 09:44 PM.
                      Point to Ponder:

Is it considered irony when someone on an internet forum makes a post that can be considered to look like it was written by a 3rd grade dropout, and they are poking fun of the fact that another person couldn't spell?

Comment

Originally posted by Rageaholic View Post
                        Not a bad theory in practice, but there are unfortunate implications that somehow the employee is to blame for getting all this shit from people. It's a subtle way of blaming the victim for things they may not have any control over.
                        Some employees are to blame for getting shit from people. One of my coworkers always seems to have a "Yeah what do you want" tone in his voice and then gets customers who get defensive at his attitude that they are keeping him from whatever his real job must be since the customers are such a burden.

Originally posted by DrFaroohk View Post
                        You can't always judge the truth of a story just by what you think might be inconsistencies.
                        Actually inconsistencies imply the story is true as if the person had thought up the story they would be more likely to be consistent throughout.
                        Jack Faire
                        Friend
                        Father
                        Smartass

Comment

Some employees are to blame for getting shit from people. One of my coworkers always seems to have a "Yeah what do you want" tone in his voice and then gets customers who get defensive at his attitude that they are keeping him from whatever his real job must be since the customers are such a burden.
                          I would agree that some employees are sucky and in the wrong at times. But on forums, unless the poster brags about being a jerk to customers, all you can do is fill in the holes. Unless the story is too outrageous or there are obvious holes, why make assumptions?

I just don't like the philosophy behind it. It doesn't take into account that some people can be jerks and pick on people for things they have no control over.

Comment

Originally posted by Rageaholic View Post
                            I just don't like the philosophy behind it. It doesn't take into account that some people can be jerks and pick on people for things they have no control over.
                            That's true it just bothers me sometimes at work if I heard how the rep spoke to the customer and then in the break room I hear them complaining about how the customer responded. It's not my place but I really want to Gibbs them and tell them to get a clue.
                            Jack Faire
                            Friend
                            Father
                            Smartass

Comment

Actually inconsistencies imply the story is true as if the person had thought up the story they would be more likely to be consistent throughout.
                              Inconsistencies can go either way, either an honest description of an imperfect memory or a tale by someone who can't keep their story straight. It depends on how it's inconsistent.
                              "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
                                Inconsistencies can go either way, either an honest description of an imperfect memory or a tale by someone who can't keep their story straight. It depends on how it's inconsistent.
                                True also how often they correct themselves a person relating an imperfect memory won't be as aware of their inconsistencies until they are pointed out but a person that is lying is paying attention to what they are saying.
                                Jack Faire
                                Friend
                                Father
                                Smartass

Comment

Working...
                                X