What would you do with super powers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DrFaroohk View Post
    But it's not ACTUALLY doing anything wrong, because it still is part of the game's original coding.
    Weasel words. You know that if they'd caught it, it wouldn't be in there at all. Sure, you didn't make the exploit, but you're still abusing it.

I used to laugh at the little kids in the video gaming room at the conventions I'd attend when they'd go into invulnerable mode (hey, it's still in the game, so it's ok, right? ) and then act like they'd accomplished something when they got to the end of the game.

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

As for enhanced strength/speed/etc being a cheat..again then we would have to consider some of the greats of all time cheaters. They did not just beat the opponents they faced at the time, they did indeed make them seem like children. Ali (in his prime), Carl Lewis, Michael Jordan. They were not slightly better then their peers, they were worlds better (at that time at least). So I just do not see super speed as cheating.

Now..if you have 'super brain power' and can invent undetectable machines that give you an unfair advantage..that would be another story entirely. Or telekinesis to become the worlds strongest man, etc. That is just my thoughts on it however. Hulk wouldn't be cheating in 'Worlds Strongest' contests..Magneto in a weight lifting contest...that would be cheating.

Comment

Mind readers could make awesome counselors. It'd be scary for them to be prosecutors, investigators, or the like. How do you defend your right to privacy with someone like that?
        Reading someone's mind would be equivalent to forcing them to testify against themselves, and so logically ought to be disallowed. Since there's (presumably) no way to know a mind reader hasn't read someone's mind other than taking their word for it, you'd pretty much have to keep them out of certain professions.

And yes, that's fair... especially since, unlike for example infrared pictures of the inside of people's homes, there would also be no way other than taking their word for it that everything a mind reader says about what he's seen is true.

And that's assuming they could always tell the difference between things like someone thinking about something they'd done and imagining what it would be like to have done it.

I used to laugh at the little kids in the video gaming room at the conventions I'd attend when they'd go into invulnerable mode (hey, it's still in the game, so it's ok, right? ) and then act like they'd accomplished something when they got to the end of the game.
        In that case, unless it was a competition then they were only cheating in the sense that they were bragging like that. Whereas it wouldn't be cheating to have an invulnerable play-through if all you're interested in is the plot or exploring the world or whatever for yourself.
        "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
          In that case, unless it was a competition then they were only cheating in the sense that they were bragging like that. Whereas it wouldn't be cheating to have an invulnerable play-through if all you're interested in is the plot or exploring the world or whatever for yourself.
          Exactly. I am sorry if your playing a game for the story and dying is a pointless mechanism then yeah invulnerability counts. Having a character die when it won't affect the story is just a waste of time and often a way to pad game play.
          Jack Faire
          Friend
          Father
          Smartass

Comment

Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post

^-.-^

It's cheating if they did something outside of normal gameplay to achieve it. If it just happens there's a glitch upon reaching level 2 and speaking with the Captain makes you invulnerable, NMP. If you have to type in some code and press a series of keys, that's a cheat.

Comment

It still seems like it depends more on whether it's competition or not, and whether they were presenting such a "win" as real.

Not quite the same thing, but I'm thinking of Dragon's Lair II; the game was too frustrating to play, at least for me, but the disc (CD-ROM version), had either a code you could put that made it play through, or else files on the disc you could open up and just watch the game, both with and without all the deaths. (Possibly both.) I gladly took advantage... but have never claimed to have beaten the game. But it wouldn't be right to start up the perfect playthrough setting, pretend to be playing the game yourself, then after finishing, hand off to a friend and tell them to try.

As for "exploit" type cheats... where is the line on those? How, precisely, does a normal player know what is intended and what is taking unfair advantage of a bug?
              "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

I look at it like anything else in life. There's some mistake, people will take advantage of it and point out it's your own fault.

With the game, the line I see is how far out of your way you have to go. As I said before...if it just turns out that talking to someone grants you extra XP, that's still within the normal parameters of the game. You are SUPPOSED to talk to people. You are SUPPOSED to loot mobs. If one of these things that is an intended part of the game doesn't work the way the designer wanted, that's not my problem, and it's not cheating.

Now, if the cheat involves typing in long code words and re-coding your .exe files or something, or hacking into servers and editting your character, that is cheating.

Comment

Abuse them. *remembers current avatar* What? 0: )

Seriously, I'd be a class five shapeshifter, so that I could have everyone's powers. And I probably would still be a supervillain.
                  "Oh wow, I can't believe how stupid I used to be and you still are."

Comment

Working...
                  X