What I Learned Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Teysa View Post
    It's funny. When I worked in retail, I found the customers who had piercings in unusual spots and hair dyed every color of the rainbow were always extremely polite and just plain nice. It was the more conservative ones who tended to act like SCs.
    Truth. XD I remember once at my job at the shire horse farm when this woman complained about my pink hair to the boss. His answer was, "I don't care what colour her hair is as long as she does her job!" XD Since I was bedding down a stable, who cares what colour a stable worker's hair is, anyway?

As far as the whole "If you dress like that/have piercings/have tattoos etc you should expect attention" thing... why yes, I do expect attention. However, I don't see that attention goes hand in hand with dickish behaviour and comments. And if an employee said anything nasty to me in a shop, I would speak to the manager. The way I choose to dress has nothing to do with them.
    "Oh wow, I can't believe how stupid I used to be and you still are."

Comment

I saw that Bex. Maybe this week was the week of jerks and piercings. That's totally a thing.

Andara, let me know how well that color stays in. I've never used that brand before

Comment

I haven't done it, yet - ran out of time last night - but re-read the instructions rather thoroughly. I'll post up a thread on it on CS in Off Topic once it's done and I have pics.

^-.-^
        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Splat does pretty well. My store sells it. I usually let it sit a bit longer than what it says and sometimes do an extra "coat" with it. I've had multiple colors on my mowhawk way back in June. That faded. but the red and pink lasts quite a while.

Comment

love the splat dyes! did the pink one a while ago (didnt bleach first so it was kind of a dark magenta).
            i've never understood why retail employers seem to harp on appearances. my boss gives me a lot of grief when i dye my hair or cut it funky. but i have never received a customer complaint. quite the opposite. and really, it's all a matter of personal preference.
            All uses of You, You're, and etc are generic unless specified otherwise.

Comment

Another reason for me to love my workplace.

My hair can look like THIS, and my boss' reaction will be to compliment me on it.

^-.-^
              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

My managers actually encourage it. It was a shock at first, but they are so used to it. I think they are more shocked now since I haven't dyed my hair since July.

Comment

We have a little wiggle room at work, because 99.9% of the time, we're in an office and only interacting with customers by phone. No funky hair colors or styles, but I can get away with my little nose stud and small gauges. My septum stays firmly tucked into my nose. One of my coworkers has many earrings, tongue piercing and tragus (my next piercing!) and that's fine. It's just when we meet with customers face to face that they have to go away.

No one has said anything about my accidental pink at work, but it's hidden enough that I don't think the managers noticed and if they did, the probably didn't care.

Comment

Working...
                  X