Yes, I stay at home.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
    I still like the system my grandparents had. Regardless of how the money came in, it was divided into three accounts: one for him, one for her, and one for common expenses. The common one was mostly inarguable stuff like mortgage, utilities, repairs, etc., and their own were their own.

That is how the wife and I do it. It works out great. We buy what we need and/or pay bills, and the rest, we split it up.

Comment

We are planning to move to either the Florida keys or to Fresno California after my mother dies - the estate will give us the ability to buy a place to live and make the move and put the current place on the market without financial issues. Once in place, we will have 4 people in place [2 couples] with a possible 5th person and we plan on having Robs Navy retirement pay continue going into the Navy Fed Credit Union to be used for property taxes, and any repairs that need to be done. All the other bills will be divided out into 4 or 5 units, each person is responsible for that portion of the utilities [cable, electricity, water, garbage, sewage as appropriate] and since we will be starting up from scratch, I plan on having contracts about the financial and physical upkeep of the property ready for everyone. I love that the various utility companies have provision for 'economy plans' where they break out the bill into monthly equal amounts - it makes planning so much easier. I do not plan on having any 'roommate hell' stories!

Comment

I
        do not plan on having any 'roommate hell' stories!
        Nobody does. I wish you success in avoiding them.
        "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
          Nobody does. I wish you success in avoiding them.
          Thanks =) After some 34 years of various living situations I figure I have suffered through enough varieties that I can write a contract that avoids the ones I know about. I do know one of the expenses that are going into the rent is hiring a maid service to come in once a week to sweep/mop the floors and do the dusting. I have determined that floor care and dusting are the main jobs that tend to get ignored. Even as gimpy as I am, I actually manage to clean the toilets and sink in the bathroom, and we use a good autospray for the tub/shower.

Comment

One that I've heard, that has a U.S.-centric bias.

"A woman's place is in the House" (wait for outraged response) "and the Senate".

Comment

Originally posted by AccountingDrone View Post
              I do not plan on having any 'roommate hell' stories!
              Neither did I but then freshman, junior and senior years of college happened.
              Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Originally posted by Greenday View Post
                Neither did I but then freshman, junior and senior years of college happened.
                I am 52, my freshman, junior and senior years are *long* past!

It turns out that there is a second property rob was looking at - 2 stories, ground floor is a 4 bedroom flat upstairs is a 4 bedroom flat and both are currently occupied. Tenants in one unit would be good, as income. Rob is an excellent handyman having trained as a construction plumber and done 20 years as a machinistsmate so many repairs he can actually handle himself.

Comment

Originally posted by AccountingDrone View Post
                  I am 52, my freshman, junior and senior years are *long* past! It turns out that there is a second property rob was looking at - 2 stories, ground floor is a 4 bedroom flat upstairs is a 4 bedroom flat and both are currently occupied. Tenants in one unit would be good, as income. Rob is an excellent handyman having trained as a construction plumber and done 20 years as a machinistsmate so many repairs he can actually handle himself.
                  Got a good side and a bad side to this. Good side your tenants are right up stairs. Bad side is your tenants are right upstairs.

Comment

Working...
                  X