No announcement yet.

Favorite nickname for children

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i admit, i'm around a few childfree anon boards, and phrases like demon spawn etc are used often. not of a sense of malice. more in a dark-humor manner. we can say things there like "oh my god the demon from a shebeast womb would not stop screaming" because we know other people have 'felt our pain' so to speak and would find it funny.

but yeah, CS wasn't the place for it. that board tries to stay relatively drama free.
    All uses of You, You're, and etc are generic unless specified otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by siead_lietrathua View Post
      i admit, i'm around a few childfree anon boards, and phrases like demon spawn etc are used often. not of a sense of malice. more in a dark-humor manner. we can say things there like "oh my god the demon from a shebeast womb would not stop screaming" because we know other people have 'felt our pain' so to speak and would find it funny.

but yeah, CS wasn't the place for it. that board tries to stay relatively drama free.
      It's not just a drama thing, I think; it's respect.

It's fine that your child free board allows those sorts of names; the specific audience of the board apparently collectively appreciates the humor. But in mixed company, like on CS or here, that kind of humor can feel disrespectful or malicious.
      I has a blog!

Comment

Originally posted by SkullKing View Post
        However I got to ask, why did you think the members of fratching would have a different opinion of the nicknames than the people on C.S.?
        Especially given that a number of people are on CS.com as well. Including me.

I concur with blas's statement that it does boil down to the parents. One of the few basic things I was taught when I was doing my special ed degree is that there is always a reason for a behaviour.
        For example, a child throwing a tantrum in the middle of a store may be tired, hungry, wet (if they're pre-potty age) or frustrated because they don't understand something.
        Another example: those kids who run riot around the doctors offices? Chances are that they're bored. The parents in that situation need to have something to keep their kidlet entertained for the time being. Even if it's drawing implements!

Comment

Originally posted by Kheldarson View Post
          ... like on CS or here, that kind of humor can feel disrespectful or malicious.
          aka: cause drama. doing something that will upset people is causing drama. so the mods stopped allowing it. why the argument?

and to be fair, not everyone on the childfree board likes the terms (we don't want kids, doesn't mean we magically turn into kid-hating monsters). but we understand that it's people venting so we give more slack. think of it like calling a shitty customer a 'raging thundercunt'. not everyone will like the use of the word 'cunt', but people will get the frustration that leads to the word choice, so they give more slack. hell most people have grandparents, but they don't seem to freak out if an old lady is called terrible names when she's being a bitch.

i think some of us simply don't get why kids get special treatment. we can call adults a wide array of horrible things and people laugh. but if you call a child anything stronger than a "brat" the speaker is suddenly a horrid human being (and i've been yelled at for using the term brat before too)
          nope. kids can get the same treatment as adults. which is friggtons of snark and name-calling anonymously made behind their back on the internet, just like any other human being bitched about on the 'net.

if people were saying this sort of stuff to the faces of the kid, that's a different story of course.

and i have to disagree that it's usually the parent's fault, especially with the under-5 age groups. little kids do these things called pushing boundaries. they also tend to act out when things change dramatically in their lives (arrival of new siblings or etc). some kids react to things fine. others turn into melt-down machines. blaming the parents is not always the solution. sometimes a kid is legitimately a brat!
          i have a friend that is a legit supermom. but her toddler is in a stage of both infant-regression and the "mine"s. so when we go out there's a few times i've had to haul a screaming kid to the car while mom finishes shopping because the kid was told they couldn't have something they wanted. and at those times, where i'm trying to shove a wriggling, kicking, scream-machine into her carseat.... yeah, the kid's a demon spawn. and at no fault of the parent.

Comment

think of it like calling a shitty customer a 'raging thundercunt'......i think some of us simply don't get why kids get special treatment. we can call adults a wide array of horrible things and people laugh. but if you call a child anything stronger than a "brat" the speaker is suddenly a horrid human being .
            Originally posted by Josh View Post

Crotch dropping
            Crying STD
            Smear of their Loins
            I don't think it's that the kids are getting special treatment. It's that most of the 'nicknames' for children are speaking to the kids existence, rather than to a circumstance, behaviour or incident. Calling your friends child a demon spawn when he is not behaving is (to me) speaking to his behaviour in the moment. As is calling a disagreeable customer a raging thundercunt. Calling a child a crotch dropping seems to speak to his existence, meaning there is nothing the child can do (except age maybe) that will make him acceptable in the speakers view. It's a little like calling people names that are based on their gender, race or anything else that is a trait they are born with, rather than a behaviour they can choose.

Comment

aka: cause drama. doing something that will upset people is causing drama. so the mods stopped allowing it. why the argument?
              Because drama to me is anything ranging from deliberately making people upset to making a ruckus where you're trying to get sympathy for yourself. And some folks expressing an opinionated insult doesn't really fit my experience and definition of drams, but does fit my standards of being disrespectful of group dynamics.

and i have to disagree that it's usually the parent's fault, especially with the under-5 age groups. little kids do these things called pushing boundaries. they also tend to act out when things change dramatically in their lives (arrival of new siblings or etc). some kids react to things fine. others turn into melt-down machines. blaming the parents is not always the solution. sometimes a kid is legitimately a brat!
              i have a friend that is a legit supermom. but her toddler is in a stage of both infant-regression and the "mine"s. so when we go out there's a few times i've had to haul a screaming kid to the car while mom finishes shopping because the kid was told they couldn't have something they wanted. and at those times, where i'm trying to shove a wriggling, kicking, scream-machine into her carseat.... yeah, the kid's a demon spawn. and at no fault of the parent.
              Except, even at pushing boundaries, the parent has to be in control and teaching the boundaries because a child, particularly under age of 5, hasn't fully learned them yet. So, as in your example, your friend's child is acting out because they think it will resolve something in their favor. Removing them from the scene of the issue teaches them that acting out doesn't get them what they want. You've taught a boundary.

And most folks don't negatively call out parents and kids who are actively trying to control a meltdown; we call out the impassive parents who let their kids rage because of the failure of the patent. Yet we want to assign names that declare the child as being worthless rather than just poorly behaved?
              I has a blog!

Comment

Originally posted by Kheldarson View Post
                And most folks don't negatively call out parents and kids who are actively trying to control a meltdown; we call out the impassive parents who let their kids rage because of the failure of the patent. Yet we want to assign names that declare the child as being worthless rather than just poorly behaved?
                except that's bullshit, because most people bitch about a snapshot they see. someone seeing me carrying a screaming kid doesn't know that i'm leaving the store. same as the car. they don't know if i'm putting in the kid or taking them out. so they'll bitch about what they see.
                which, again, is just like bitching about an adult. we don't know for sure that an adult is like how w seem them the other 99% of their lives. but we don't care. because we're annoyed and venting.

@neccat.
                you can call any adult the same things. i've heard grownups been called failed abortions and that they should have been blowjobs or been killed at birth etc. the kids don't get any special treatment compared to any other human.

i;m not saying that saying those things are right. i'm just saying i can see why people would choose to use a term even if i don't approve of it. part of empathy is being able to tell where other people are coming from, even if you don't like their conclusions.

understanding something =/= approving it
                Last edited by siead_lietrathua; 09-28-2014, 03:23 PM. Reason: weird formating.

Comment

I think the mods were right in doing this. I read stories in CS.com where the kids were called "demon spawn" or worse, and after reading the phrase, I no longer saw them as young human beings that needed better parenting. Even using the word "brood" to refer to the children of an SC can be insulting.

Where is the OP now? I'd like to see how the OP reacted to our replies.

Comment

I generally refer to badly behaved kids on CS.com as either brats or goblins. I used to use the word "changeling" til MLP hijacked the term and now I can't give nasty children such an awesome word. XD
                    "Oh wow, I can't believe how stupid I used to be and you still are."

Comment

Originally posted by cindybubbles View Post
                      . Even using the word "brood" to refer to the children of an SC can be insulting.

Where is the OP now? I'd like to see how the OP reacted to our replies.
                      I tend to use "brood" when I'm talking about the kids I work with. I'm very protective of them.

Comment

Originally posted by fireheart17 View Post
                        I tend to use "brood" when I'm talking about the kids I work with. I'm very protective of them.
                        But that's different with you, because you're not a sucky customer/parent.

Comment

Working...
                        X