Am I selfish for wanting a vasectomy??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by s_stabeler View Post
    could I ask where you got that information from? It's true enough that if you can accurately predict the non-fertile days, it should be just as effective. I just didn't think the non-fertile times could be predicted particularly accurately.
    Apparently 1 study came up with a 2% unexpected pregnancy rate per users annually. But another had 8%.

However, one study found that proper symptothermal FPM apparently had over a 99% rate of effectiveness when done properly. Meanwhile a study of calendar-based FPM came in at 95%.

Apparently what we need are better studies to determine why the discrepancies between the results in the first paragraph and the results in the second.
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post
      Apparently 1 study came up with a 2% unexpected pregnancy rate per users annually. But another had 8%.

However, one study found that proper symptothermal FPM apparently had over a 99% rate of effectiveness when done properly. Meanwhile a study of calendar-based FPM came in at 95%.

Apparently what we need are better studies to determine why the discrepancies between the results in the first paragraph and the results in the second.
      Probably because it's harder to follow properly and there's a variety of methods that get grouped together.
      I has a blog!

Comment

it's close enough to being a reasonable method though, from the sounds of it - using the worst of those figures, it's still 92% effective. So Ok, I will admit that, if you take the time to make sure you are likely to be non-fertile, then it may well work. On the other hand, it DOES seem to be rather complicated compared to condoms or the Pill. ( and I thought the religious issues with the Pill and condoms were that you shouldn't have sex without intending to produce a child? ( feel free to correct me if I'm worng))

Comment

Originally posted by s_stabeler View Post
          . ( and I thought the religious issues with the Pill and condoms were that you shouldn't have sex without intending to produce a child? ( feel free to correct me if I'm worng))
          It is, but the difference is that with NFP you're still showing a willingness to be open to the possibility.
          I has a blog!

Comment

even though it sounds like it takes quite a bit of effort? It'd seem to me that going to what would probably be quite a bit of inconvenience - something that you'd only do if you didn't want a kid. ( particularly for someone who's cycle varies. It occurs to me that that'd mean you'd have to check the measurements constantly.)

Comment

It's not a lot of extra effort. Just have to remember to take my temp first thing in the morning, check the cervix in the afternoon, and record. You notice the patterns after a while. And you notice when things are going wonky.
              I has a blog!

Comment

Basically the same thing people do when they're trying to conceive and have trouble, only looking for the least likely point instead of the most.
                "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Originally posted by Kheldarson View Post
                  It is, but the difference is that with NFP you're still showing a willingness to be open to the possibility.
                  This is just semantics. You're still having sex with the goal of not having kids. If you have a religious objection to things like condoms, then using NFP is keeping to the letter of the rules while utterly violating the spirit of them.
                  Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Chimming in with not a lot of effort. I use an app it reminds me to temp when my morning alarm goes off.

For me it is not the religious side (the not married part is a bigger issue there) but because I don't want to use hormonal BC.

As a plus now that we are trying we just swap the purpose of the app.

Comment

This is just semantics. You're still having sex with the goal of not having kids. If you have a religious objection to things like condoms, then using NFP is keeping to the letter of the rules while utterly violating the spirit of them.
                      *shrugs* If it's semantics, then it's Church sanctioned semantics.
                      I has a blog!

Comment

Working...
                      X