Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You know, it's amazing and ironic to me...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ben_who View Post
    MJR, can you tell me...are you just here to score the debate points or are you actually open to discussion?
    It varies. I'd say most of the time I'm open to discussion -- as long as it's real discussion.

When you asked how to contact your elected representative, you made it clear that it was in the context of trying to corner him into blurting out the answer you wanted, one that would prove you right. When I told you that wasn't gonna happen, you seemed to lose interest.
    Not really. You provided me with information. I utilized that information. I didn't "lose interest" because you provided me with useful information and knowledge. And if you recall, I actually thanked you for the conversation (and the information) there.

You brought up a 13-year-old Dan Rather story that was quickly discovered and had grave consequences for everyone involved, and then, again, lost interest.
    In that case, my point was made, and with the discussion at the point it was, I felt there was no need to further the discussion. Not really "losing interest".

We're here to talk politics, not supply you with gotcha moments.
    I don't really look at it as "gotcha" moments. It's more a matter of measuring consistency. Hey, I'm inconsistent with things, too. I just like to occasionally put the shoe on the other foot (or, play Devil's Advocate) and see what happens.

You're not going to have any tolerance for the small contradictions of political theory; you're going to use them to diminish your opposition to make yourself feel better. You're not learning anything from us, we're not learning anything from you, and the division just gets deeper and deeper until it becomes intolerable.
    I don't think it's a matter of diminishing opposition. I've been on this forum enough to know that people who lean Conservative are, in general, the minority here.

But to that end, I do agree that we should try to learn from one another. Because you're right, we dig in. I don't think insulting one another, though, is helpful there. Do you?

If you want to win so badly, what is your "victory condition?" At what point are you satisfied with the answers you get?
    I might ask the same of some of the "opposition" on here.
    Last edited by mjr; 03-09-2017, 08:43 PM.

Comment

Working...
    X