No announcement yet.

Iran "Warns" U.S.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wonder if the US could really take on something like a war with Iran...
    It is by all accounts much weaker than 10 years ago when it was completely sure it could take on Afghanistan and Iraq and look how that worked out. It certainly made Iraq suffer enormously, but there was no real victory. Afghanistan I think is just a clear loss. Maybe it's better to focus on local issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Pinecone View Post
      I wonder if the US could really take on something like a war with Iran...
      It is by all accounts much weaker than 10 years ago when it was completely sure it could take on Afghanistan and Iraq and look how that worked out. It certainly made Iraq suffer enormously, but there was no real victory. Afghanistan I think is just a clear loss. Maybe it's better to focus on local issues.
      It depends on what our goals would be. If it was to go in, destroy their military, get rid of their government, then get right out, yea, we could do that. Probably within a year if not less.

And what exactly is the failure of Afghanistan? How did we lose the war? We kicked out their shitty government, put up a new one slightly more in favor with us, and continually prevent the Taliban from taking over.
      Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Originally posted by Greenday View Post
        It depends on what our goals would be. If it was to go in, destroy their military, get rid of their government, then get right out, yea, we could do that. Probably within a year if not less.
        If the goal was simply to level Iran to show whose penis is bigger, sure. But seriously you can't go around the world bitchslapping everyone that says they don't like you. No one's "pushing you around" because they don't like you and US foreign policy has a bad habit of making a lot of people not like you.

If Iran actually comes anywhere near your carriers, then they're pushing you around and feel free to sink everything they own in a 50 mile radius. But otherwise, this is just Iran sabre rattling to maintain their self image of having a much bigger penis than they really do.

Iran says stupid shit like this all the time. Its Iran. Its what they do. They're the yapping chihuhua of the middle east. There's no need to drive a tank over it every time it startings yipping.

And what exactly is the failure of Afghanistan? How did we lose the war? We kicked out their shitty government, put up a new one slightly more in favor with us, and continually prevent the Taliban from taking over.
        Afghanistan is a tough one. Iraq is certainly a loss. But Afghanistan is a quagmire and while the Taliban might not regain power after we leave. I don't see much preventing it from backsliding into a different kind of dickery the moment we leave either. Which is fairly depressing.

Comment

Originally posted by Gravekeeper View Post
          Iran says stupid shit like this all the time. Its Iran. Its what they do. They're the yapping chihuhua of the middle east. There's no need to drive a tank over it every time it startings yipping.
          Yep, Iran really hasn't done anything...other than pollute the airwaves. They're not the first country, nor will they be the last. Lately though, they've taken the place of North Korea. While the North Koreans could actually hit us with one of their rockets...there's nothing Iran could really do. Other than hit our military currently in Iraq and Afghanistan, and to a lesser extent, parts of Europe.

However, I don't think the US is their main interest right now. Most of their attention seems to be on Israel, and the comments that country has made about Iran's nuclear program. I'm surprised that Iran hasn't blamed Israel for the death of some nuke scientists recently.

But, if the shit does hit the nuclear fan, I have a feeling that the US (and allies) will get sucked into another war over there. I hope that doesn't happen.

Comment

Well, actually, Iran CAN do something, they can basically cut off the American oil supply. Because while other countries have more oil fields, they almost all ship out through a river that Iran can blockade.
            "Nam castum esse decet pium poetam
            ipsum, versiculos nihil necessest"

Comment

Originally posted by Hyena Dandy View Post
              Well, actually, Iran CAN do something, they can basically cut off the American oil supply. Because while other countries have more oil fields, they almost all ship out through a river that Iran can blockade.
              How long exactly do you think this supposed blockade could last if the US wanted to do something about it? Days?
              Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Originally posted by Hyena Dandy View Post
                Well, actually, Iran CAN do something, they can basically cut off the American oil supply.
                They can cut off our oil supply from the Middle East. As I recall (and I could be wrong here), we get more oil from our own fields, Canada, and South America, than we do the Middle East.

Comment

Originally posted by AdminAssistant View Post
                  They can cut off our oil supply from the Middle East. As I recall (and I could be wrong here), we get more oil from our own fields, Canada, and South America, than we do the Middle East.
                  Iran isn't even in the top 15 if all those websites you get when you google "where does america get its oil" are correct.

Comment

Correct. The three biggest oil reserves on the planet are Venezuela, Saudi Arabia and Canada. Iran could block one and it would be pretty questionable how long they could hold it if the world wanted it unblocked. The Saudi's want to sell it just as much as everyone wants to buy it. They'd be picking one Hell of a fight both internationally and locally.

Comment

Is this the same Taliban government that the US government, via the CIA put into power a couple of decades ago??? The same one that the US government was quite happy to let sit while they got what they wanted from them, but when they refused to put an oil-pipeline through their country, the US government suddenly found a reason to invade and replace? And ONLY after that reason, did any other issues suddenly pop up (such as how women were treated...)
                      ZOE: Preacher, don't the Bible got some pretty specific things to say about killing?

SHEPHERD BOOK: Quite specific. It is, however, Somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps.

Comment

Originally posted by Slytovhand View Post
                        Is this the same Taliban government that the US government, via the CIA put into power a couple of decades ago??? The same one that the US government was quite happy to let sit while they got what they wanted from them, but when they refused to put an oil-pipeline through their country, the US government suddenly found a reason to invade and replace? And ONLY after that reason, did any other issues suddenly pop up (such as how women were treated...)
                        You seem to be of the opinion that we had to search hard for a reason to kick them out of power. I'm pretty sure them attacking us was a good enough reason.

Comment

You seem to be of the opinion that we had to search hard for a reason to kick them out of power. I'm pretty sure them attacking us was a good enough reason.
                          This, of course, presume that they actually did attack the US

(yes, GD, I know your response.. but I'm just putting my all my cards on the table, so you know where I'm coming from. We, obviously, see things in a quite different light)
                          ZOE: Preacher, don't the Bible got some pretty specific things to say about killing?

SHEPHERD BOOK: Quite specific. It is, however, Somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps.

Comment

Who says they even have to attack us? What if we say they did?

Wouldn't be the first time it's happened.

"For all I know, our Navy was shooting at whales out there."
                            - President Lyndon B. Johnson
                            Some People Are Alive Only Because It's Illegal To Kill Them.

Comment

Working...
                            X