Obama's recess picks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obama's recess picks

Obama defies Congress with 'recess' picks. Basically, Obama went over Congress' heads and nominated some people while they were on recess. Some see it as a violation of the Constitution...specifically the "checks and balances" of the various branches. Thoughts?

Considering he'd get nowhere with the current shower in congress, I think he did the right thing. He's not exactly dealing with a group known to work with him on anything. The budget debacle was proof of that.

Rapscallion
    Proud to be a W.A.N.K.E.R. - Womanless And No Kids - Exciting Rubbing!
    Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

All Presidents do it to some extent. And given that the Republicans have taken the whole "advise and consent" thing to the next level, I can't say that I blame him.

Comment

If Congress doesn't want recess appointments, they can approve regular appointments when there isn't a special reason not to do so, rather than routinely denying them all.

And yes, before someone makes an accusation otherwise, I say the same when the parties involved are reversed.
        "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Originally posted by mikoyan29 View Post
          All Presidents do it to some extent.
          Pretty much this. Everyone's done it that I know of. It's really not a big a deal.
          Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
            If Congress doesn't want recess appointments, they can approve regular appointments when there isn't a special reason not to do so, rather than routinely denying them all.

And yes, before someone makes an accusation otherwise, I say the same when the parties involved are reversed.
            I think it sucked that the Democrats pissed around with Bush's nominees and I say the same thing about the Republicans with Obama's nominees. Although it seems like the Republicans are pissing around more, which means that when the Republicans have a President and the Democrats have Congress there will be more pissing around.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenday View Post
              It's really not a big a deal.
              Yeah, but Obama seems to get a free pass lately. He has done some of the things that Bush did...but doesn't generate the same level of ire.

Comment

Originally posted by protege View Post
                Yeah, but Obama seems to get a free pass lately. He has done some of the things that Bush did...but doesn't generate the same level of ire.
                And Bush got pretty much a free pass for his recess appointment. And quite honestly, I don't blame either president for doing it because those departments got work to do. This particular appointment was to a department the GOP doesn't want, so rather than overturning the law, they want to kill it this way.

Comment

Yeah, but Obama seems to get a free pass lately.
                  Such as getting a budget passed?

Rapscallion
                  Proud to be a W.A.N.K.E.R. - Womanless And No Kids - Exciting Rubbing!
                  Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

At least Obama hasnt started any wars.

Comment

Positions need to be filled. If Congress chooses to arrange things so that the only way to fill them is by recess appointments, then it's foolish to blame the president for making recess appointments.
                      "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Originally posted by bara View Post
                        At least Obama hasnt started any wars.
                        Besides Libya.
                        Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Libya was a joint venture with a lot of NATO allies, and my understanding is that the majority of them where British and French.

Comment

Some see it as a violation of the Constitution...specifically the "checks and balances" of the various branches. Thoughts?
                            If by "checks and balances" they mean the automatic opposition to anything any member of the opposing party says or does for no rational or legitimate reason other than it was the opposing parties statement or action, then yes.

The government of our founding fathers worked together despite any differences of opinion to accomplish many things for the overall good of the nation, not for the enrichment of themselves, and their associates at the cost of the people.

Our current government has the same ability to work together as a room full of toddlers attempting to assemble a house of cards.....and is just as stable and successful.....our founding fathers would likely consider most of them treasonous as much as they've sold out the people they are supposed to represent.
                            Registered rider scenic shore 150 charity ride

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X