Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Texas Republican party releases 2012 platform...you gotta see this to believe it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Crazedclerkthe2nd View Post
    I don't see a way out on that one. You could say, well ok we'll appoint a bipartisan committee to draw up a list of requirements for the states to maintain membership in the Union but I would think that would just lead to more gridlock and wasted tax dollars.
    You can see that it wouldn't work just in this political climate we are in right now. IMO, none of the three branches of the federal government have their shit together, much less any US state.

Comment

Subjective. Exactly what person or entity gets to decide exactly what kind of "shit" they need to get together?
      It's happened before. Someone at the federal level decided that all the states must have a drinking age of 21, and then later also decided that they all must have a BAC limit of .08. The feds didn't actually have the authority to make the states do any of this, but they did threaten to withhold certain funding from them. Seems like a pretty sneaky way to get around the 10th Amendment to me.
      --- I want the republicans out of my bedroom, the democrats out of my wallet, and both out of my first and second amendment rights. Whether you are part of the anal-retentive overly politically-correct left, or the bible-thumping bellowing right, get out of the thought control business --- Alan Nathan

Comment

The fun part is that the threat to withhold funding (highways, if I recall correctly) is totally invalid, as was shown with the ACA medicaid expansion challenge.

But, yeah, the federal government can and has strong-armed state governments into doing what they want before.

^-.-^
        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

The sanctity of human life, created in the image of God, which should be protected from fertilization to natural death.
          ...This coming from a state which has the death penalty. Alrighty then
          "Any state, any entity, any ideology which fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

Comment

Originally posted by Dreamstalker View Post
            ...This coming from a state which has the death penalty. Alrighty then
            Not just has one, but excercises quite a bit

Comment

Working...
            X