No announcement yet.

Gay Marriage Plank Will Be In Democratic Party Platform At Convention

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't mean sugar-coating it. Pointing out the hypocrisy is also fine. I'm just saying that it's possible to format a statement like that without it being a blatant insult - people are very rarely in a receptive frame of mind when they're being insulted, so it's not going to help the situation at all.

Comment

For some people, subtlety is just threatening them with the 2x4 instead of whacking them upside the head with it. And just based off of the post, she doesn't seem like the type who is going to suddenly say "Oh I get it! Denying rights to a group of people based off of who they want to sleep with is wrong!" So why be nice? Fuck em, they wanna screw around with people's rights, they don't get to cry that someone's being mean to them.

Comment

Originally posted by ngc_7331 View Post
        So why be nice? Fuck em, they wanna screw around with people's rights, they don't get to cry that someone's being mean to them.
        Unfortunately, that's just not the way the world works. We have to co-exist with the people we dislike along with the people we like. And you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar. You can be firm without being a dick. You can't just alienate everybody you disagree with, especially family. All that will do is divide us more. Nobody will be receptive to your arguments if you're just telling them to go fuck themselves at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaden View Post
          You can't just alienate everybody you disagree with, especially family. .
          slight off topic of that, but family isn't defined by last names, it's defined by love. We have a family, even if it isn't the ones we share a name with. Our real family would never feel alienated by a statement like that.
          "I'm Gar and I'm proud" -slytovhand

Comment

I agree with the first half of that, but not the second.

Our real family WOULD feel alienated. If you outright attack someone and what they do with their lives, and say that you're morally superior to them, then yes, someone WILL feel alienated.

Now, they may understand WHY you did it. They may be willing to FORGIVE you for it, and I know no-one who I can consider close as family would say "Sure, what they are supporting is going to hurt you and they're saying they approve of giving money to groups that say you're a pedophile, but at least they stand for SOMETHING!"

But to say that your real family wouldn't be hurt by "by the way, what do you do to make the world a better place?" in such an accusatory way then, well, I don't think I can agree.

A family, the way you mean it, is built on love and, well, respect. You can't undermine respect like that and say that someone's not your real family because they're insulted that you insulted them.
            "Nam castum esse decet pium poetam
            ipsum, versiculos nihil necessest"

Comment

Working...
            X