Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Religious right pundit says Hillary Clinton is too hideously ugly to be President

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheHuckster View Post
    Or, if people didn't have those prejudicial attitudes toward strong assertive women, she may not have that issue.
    VERY fair assertion.

Comment

Or, if people didn't have those prejudicial attitudes toward strong assertive women, she may not have that issue.
      That's the long-term, societal solution, but in the meantime, to get elected you have to work with the attitudes people have.
      "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

I don't think you get much more "strong assertive" than the Iron Lady (as she was called back in the day...like the "Evil Empire" nickname for the New York Yankees the term started out from those who opposed her but later even some of her supporters embraced the term as well).

All I can say is those who feel prejudicial towards any group, you could be missing out on some people who if you gave them a fair shot (at anything, political activism, sports, jobs, whatever) could be among the very best of allies.

Comment

Originally posted by mjr View Post
          I think that's part of the issue. I think if she had a kinder, gentler air to her, she may not have that issue. Like, if she held the beliefs she does, but she was more like former Texas Governor Anne Richards, she'd probably be liked a lot more. Anne Richards had a "folksy" charm about her, but a super-sharp wit. She even quipped once, "Poor George, he can't help it — he was born with a silver foot in his mouth." (which is a funny quote, to me), and this gem at the 1988 DNC, during the keynote: "I am delighted to be here with you this evening, because after listening to George Bush all these years, I figured you needed to know what a real Texas accent sounds like."
          Sounds a lot like the difference between Ronald Reagan and Barry Goldwater (Ronnie was quite famous for his folksy charm and wit...Goldwater eh, not so much). Which might explain how Ronnie got 45 and 49 states in the Electoral College and Barry, well, it was in 1964 I guess America just wasn't ready yet for conservatism as we know it today (and the same was true in 1968 and 1972 for liberalism as we know it today...they'd end up having better luck in 1976).

I guess my point is all of this is true no matter what political party/ideology or even gender.
          Last edited by Estil; 07-26-2015, 08:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X