Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there really a "best" in music nowadays?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MergedLoki View Post
    technical difficulty doesn't = great music (nor does mindless simplicity) it's all about what an individual thinks.
    Too bad we're not talking about music, but the players of said music,
    Originally posted by Mr Slugger View Post
    every once and a while you'll run into say a Top 10 best drummers video.
    so technical difficulty = requiring greater skill = better player, and subjective opinion doesn't enter in to that.

Subjective enters in to things like showmanship, but if you're just listening to a recording, the only thing you have to judge is the player's skill.
    Any comment I make should not be taken as an absolute, unless I say it should be. Even this one.

Comment

Originally posted by MergedLoki View Post
      MUSIC itself is'nt about difficulty to play or not.
      No, but like Broom said, we're talking about the musicians themselves. The OP doesn't mention songwriting at all.

The Beatles songs are all relatively simple to learn, but no one would argue that Lennon/McCartney were not incredibly gifted songwriters. That's another topic all together.

Comment

My only problem with declaring a band the best is that a lot of the time, it's done by ignorami who've never even tried to listen to other music save their favourite band. Or people who fail to take into consideration that a talented musician often has a lot more than technical skill. Showmanship comes into it to, as well as a genuine love of music.

I've been bashed on other boards for rating Ace Frehley as a guitarist. Sure, he's not the most technical guitarist in the world, but I happen to rate showmanship and love of music and performing over guitar wankery, or someone who just stand there like a lemon twanging strings.
        "Oh wow, I can't believe how stupid I used to be and you still are."

Comment

Working...
        X