No announcement yet.

Smug vegetarian on "Come Dine With Me"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ten times the number - even if we find a decent source to back that up, I have to ask if the life of a cow or sheep or chicken is comparable the life of a rodent or insect?

I don't have an answer to this. A life is a life is a life? If so, then bacteria are formally alive and therefore protected. Is a cow worth more because it's more advanced on the evolutionary scale? Both it and a rat are alive.

Odd tangent.

Rapscallion
    Proud to be a W.A.N.K.E.R. - Womanless And No Kids - Exciting Rubbing!
    Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

Well, for me, its more my disgust at the slaughterhouses....I have no problems with people who raise/hunt their own meat (in the US, you're not allowed to sell beef or pork that you have slaughtered yourself, but you're allowed to eat it. Poultry is different, from my understanding)

Being chewed in up in far, equipment is a horrid way to go, yes, and I wish I knew of way to eat to avoid that, but until I have my dream garden *sigh*

Ugh, sorry again to diverge the topic. I do love this thread, it helps pass the work week

Comment

Originally posted by Rapscallion View Post
        the life of a rodent or insect?
        It's not just rodents and insects that get munched by farming equipment. Depending on what area, you've got foxes, badgers, occasionally deer, if you're really unlucky, a wolf. Though it'd be a pretty stupid wolf. But anyway, my point is, great numbers of large animals get toasted by large farming equipment because the operator can't see/avoid them. I don't think it's particularly fair to pin it on vegans, though.
        Any comment I make should not be taken as an absolute, unless I say it should be. Even this one.

Comment

Same principle - which animal is more deserving of more respect due to being alive or larger or more sentient?

Tangent, though.

Rapscallion
          Proud to be a W.A.N.K.E.R. - Womanless And No Kids - Exciting Rubbing!
          Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

Originally posted by Rapscallion View Post
            Same principle - which animal is more deserving of more respect due to being alive or larger or more sentient?

Tangent, though.

Rapscallion
            Connected tangent: what makes a human being deserving of respect? If it isn't intelligence, then why shouldn't we treat animals the same as people? If it is intelligence, then why aren't the retarded treated like second class citizens?

Comment

That's a pretty severe tangent, Flyn. Better start a new thread for that one.

It's a really interesting question.

Comment

Originally posted by Boozy View Post
                That's a pretty severe tangent, Flyn. Better start a new thread for that one.

It's a really interesting question.
                What section would that question fall under?

Comment

Let's go with "Clash of Cultures".

Comment

Working...
                  X