No announcement yet.

Amy Winehouse gone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll be happy when we stop having this artificial divide between alcohol and drugs and start treating alcohol, socially, as the recreational drug that it is.

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

just because a drug is legal or illegal doesn't change the fact that it is STILL a drug.
      alcohol should be considered part of that for its a downer. what was it, uppers downers, narcotics, barbiturates and hallucinogens. i keep thinking i am forgetting one.
      Repeat after me, "I'm over it"
      Yeah we're so over, over
      Things I hate, that even after all this time...I still came back to the scene of the crime

Comment

Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post
        I'll be happy when we stop having this artificial divide between alcohol and drugs and start treating alcohol, socially, as the recreational drug that it is.
        It already is. I'm teetotal and all I have to say is that I don't drink, and people automatically know I don't mean water or fruit juice.

Rapscallion
        Proud to be a W.A.N.K.E.R. - Womanless And No Kids - Exciting Rubbing!
        Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

You don't drink, yes. But if you said, "I don't do drugs," I rather suspect that most people would then ask, "Do you drink?" Because we've got this acceptance of alcohol as "ok" and "not really a drug" to the point where having a drink every night isn't really seen as any sort of problem, but if you were to smoke a single joint every night, there would be people talking all sorts of shit about how you're an addict or druggie.

^-.-^
          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Winehouse was also known for her alcohol abuse, so this really wasn't a surprise.

And alcohol and drug abuse tend to go hand in hand because as has been pointed out alcohol is a) a drug, and b) a downer.

What a shame. She was so very talented.
            Good news! Your insurance company says they'll cover you. Unfortunately, they also say it will be with dirt.

Comment

To die of alcohol poisoning must mean that Winehouse drank a LOT of alcohol.

I drink. I am drinking now. I like wine. I can put away three to four bottles of wine in a sitting, and will probably do so tonight. I have gotten so drunk in the past that I could not walk at all without hitting the ground.

Usually my stopping point is me throwing up. 90% of the time it's game over and I stop/go home, although sometimes I feel good afterwards, like taking a good dump and I am back for a bit more. Then there is the hangover next day. I do not do the "hair of the dog", with me being repulsed by the smell of what I have drank the previous night and me the next day drinking lots of fluids and having "the bottle flu" the next day.

There are some differences. I am about 2.5 times the size of Amy Winehouse. I am a male. The only reason why I do not drink everyday is because of the hangovers and feeling like crap the next day. If I am so sick from drink that I am in my bed and have to puke, I wake up and puke. I'm not trying to be so graphic, but the body (at least mine) rebels from too much alcohol and acts accordingly.

It seems amazing that her body could get so beat up by alcohol abuse that she can die at 27. There are many self destructive people now and throughout time that were more destructive than her that lived well beyond 27. But even Alexander the Great died of alcohol poisening when he was only 32. There are people who drink vodka every single waking moment of the day.

Drugs is something that can be used all the time. I smoke marijuana everyday. Pot never makes one hungover. I get to escape reality and do something that makes me feel good, without hangover and without physical addiction.

Neither does the "hard" drugs. They are just addicting. The speed that keeps one up for days, the opiates that makes one fall asleep to the point where they cannot wake up. Heroin makes one "sick" where they need more heroin. But crack cocaine doesn't ever. It just makes one feen for more crack. If I was rich as Winehouse and had a secure suppily, I would still be smoking rock. But even for a millionaire rockhead, wanting that is the number one thing and nothing else matters, but in the mirror, that life is so bad, and everyone will end up belittling you and hating you. This makes the addict say "fk it" and do more and more. Alcohol is socially accepted. "Oh, she's only drinking, she's OK." Well, not really since alcohol is just as dangerous and addicting if not more so than even cocaine.

Sucks to die so young. When I see somewhat like Jim Morrison, I just think "what a dumbass." I wish he could have lived in the 1970's-80's and beyond. it would have been interesting. There is probably a romantic thing for a famous star to die young James Dean style for immoratality. Being a drunk/druggie is something that would have sticked to Amy Winehouse her whole existance even if she got competely sober. So why be sober? Sobreity is boring.

Comment

Originally posted by senor boogie woogie View Post
                Sobreity is boring.
                Perhaps you're doing it wrong?

Rapscallion
                Proud to be a W.A.N.K.E.R. - Womanless And No Kids - Exciting Rubbing!
                Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

Originally posted by Rapscallion View Post
                  Perhaps you're doing it wrong?
                  Indeed, I find it quite entertaining plus there's no risk of anyone posting footage to Youtube of me in my underwear eating a cheese burger off the floor.

Comment

And now I'm just disappointed, GK.

Oh well, I guess I better get used to it. My computer is so far beyond gone, I can't even watch video anyway.

I feel really bad for people who can't quit drinking. It's an easy way to guarantee a premature death, whether by a car accident, alcohol poisoning, scerosis of the liver, or dying in jail from hurting someone else while drunk.

I'd rather be bored than relive the last few years of my life with the alcoholic manchild and the constant Jersey Shore lifestyle tendencies he had.

Comment

when i found out i felt angry. 5x's the legal limit? well since i don't recall what the legal limit is i felt that that isn't telling me much at all. beyond she drank herself to death and depending on the height weight and how each person's body processes alcohol that had to be a great deal....
                      Repeat after me, "I'm over it"
                      Yeah we're so over, over
                      Things I hate, that even after all this time...I still came back to the scene of the crime

Comment

Originally posted by LexiaFira View Post
                        when i found out i felt angry. 5x's the legal limit? well since i don't recall what the legal limit is i felt that that isn't telling me much at all. beyond she drank herself to death and depending on the height weight and how each person's body processes alcohol that had to be a great deal....
                        the singer had 416 mg of alcohol per 100 ml of blood. The legal limit in Britain is 80 mg.
                        her BAC was .04 which at her reported weight(50 kg/110 pounds) would take 9 shots(1.5oz) of vodka consumed in four hours, not really a massive amount.

Originally posted by senior boogie woogie
                        Usually my stopping point is me throwing up.
                        congratulations, vomiting is the FIRST SIGN of alcohol poisoning.

Critical Signs and Symptoms of Alcohol Poisoning

Vomiting.
                        Mental confusion, stupor, coma, or person cannot be roused.
                        Seizures.
                        Slow breathing (fewer than eight breaths per minute).
                        Irregular breathing (10 seconds or more between breaths).
                        Hypothermia (low body temperature), bluish skin color, paleness.
                        Registered rider scenic shore 150 charity ride

Comment

Originally posted by BlaqueKatt View Post
                          her BAC was .04 which at her reported weight(50 kg/110 pounds) would take 9 shots(1.5oz) of vodka consumed in four hours, not really a massive amount.
                          I think that's a hell of a lot, myself. I weigh about the same, and can't imagine drinking that much.

Comment

Originally posted by BlaqueKatt View Post
                            bac percentage (the .x that most of us are familiar with) is calculated by grams per deciliter, not milligrams per milliliter. therefore 416mg/100ml=.416g/1dl=.416 bac. at .4 unconsciousness, coma, breathing difficulties, and death can occur. this makes sense as well, as her bac was reported at 5 times the legal limit. legal limit in the uk is .08. 5*.08=.4.

Comment

Originally posted by linguist View Post
                              bac percentage (the .x that most of us are familiar with) is calculated by grams per deciliter, not milligrams per milliliter. therefore 416mg/100ml=.416g/1dl=.416 bac. at .4 unconsciousness, coma, breathing difficulties, and death can occur. this makes sense as well, as her bac was reported at 5 times the legal limit. legal limit in the uk is .08. 5*.08=.4.
                              I was just going to comment on the same thing, except without all the math! The legal BAC in the UK is .08. so if she was only .04 then she would have been fine.. Makes much more sense if she was .4

No wonder she died! Another factor I believe is that she had been dry for 3 weeks before going on a 3 day binge, was a big shock to her system. (Which in all likelyhood was probably cactus already!) but really .4 would kill anyone!
                              You're Perfect Yes It's True.. But Without Me You're Only You!

Comment

Working...
                              X