TV shows you can't stand.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by CriminalMindsRocks

Hey now, Bobby's actually a nice dude ( and yes before anyone asks I have met him in person). Now Anne Burrell I CANNOT stand! Watched the Chopped:All-Stars episode with her & Robert Irvine PISSED me off!

I kinda agree with you here Racket Man..Last season's DC was kind of hard to get into because of Phil Harris being gone. Could NOT stand that ASS they had on the Cornelia Marie during Kings, was soo glad Josh & Jake got rid of him.
    Oh I know Bobby's nice, much like Ramsey is actually pretty chill. But the TV personality was just way too, I'm the best there is, probably didn't help that Food Network (much like Fox) pushed the character over the guy behind it.

I guess it's probably the same for people who love Bill Nye while I grumble about how almost nobody else from the show he started on got a real break, and I'm a bit colored by a friend who's actually met the guy.

Then again George "seven dirty words" Carlin was Mr. Conductor.

Comment

• Not a show in particular, but some plots I can't stand:

1) "You're not safe with me". If there's a superman antagonist with lots of powers or skills, at some point he's like "I have to stay away from you so the bad guys won't come after you."

I could understand if it were like Spiderman, and identities were still secret, but if they're not, and everyone knows who your girlfriend is and where she lives, just because you're not nearby isn't going to stop anyone from hurting them.

2) Long running show, sexual tension between two characters. Ok, that's familiar. And oh boy, a couple seasons in they FINALLY hooked up! Yay! Wait, what? Two weeks later they broke up and the whole relationship was a big fucking waste? What was the point of all that?

Comment

• Originally posted by DrFaroohk View Post

2) Long running show, sexual tension between two characters. Ok, that's familiar. And oh boy, a couple seasons in they FINALLY hooked up! Yay! Wait, what? Two weeks later they broke up and the whole relationship was a big fucking waste? What was the point of all that?
        Because they usually find out that it was the buildup with all the flirting and sexual tension that was the excitement for viewers.

Viewers think they want the characters to hook up, but when they do, the show gets stale because there's really nowhere else to go with the relationship.
        Point to Ponder:

Is it considered irony when someone on an internet forum makes a post that can be considered to look like it was written by a 3rd grade dropout, and they are poking fun of the fact that another person couldn't spell?

Comment

• Originally posted by Ree View Post
          Viewers think they want the characters to hook up, but when they do, the show gets stale because there's really nowhere else to go with the relationship.
          Or so the show runners think. There are viewers like me that hate the epsiodes where they "will they won't they" and avoid watching them but love the ones where they show them actually in a fucking relationship.

I started watching Friends more when Monica and Chandler entered a relationship because that was good TV.
          Jack Faire
          Friend
          Father
          Smartass

Comment

• Originally posted by jackfaire View Post
            Originally posted by Ree View Post
            Or so the show runners think.
            It's based on ratings.

Ratings do, as a rule, drop once the characters hook up, unless the writers come up with something else in the plotline to keep viewers tuned in.

There have been some successful pairings, but there have been many more that ended up tanking the show.

It's called the "Moonlighting Effect" based on what happened with that show once they allowed the main characters to hook up.
            Point to Ponder:

Is it considered irony when someone on an internet forum makes a post that can be considered to look like it was written by a 3rd grade dropout, and they are poking fun of the fact that another person couldn't spell?

Comment

• I think ratings are BS in the first place I have never met nor known anyone to having anything to do with ratings. Most of the people I watch or discuss tv with start watching more when characters hook up not less yet because we don't have nielsen boxes the network doesn't know that.
              Jack Faire
              Friend
              Father
              Smartass

Comment

• Originally posted by Ree View Post
                There's plenty else to go, but as a general rule it seems like most writers suck nuts at writing an actual relationship. Unless two characters start out married, in which they can shift to "wacky" marital hijix that are essentially recycling the same handful of tropes and jokes over and over since the invention of television. ;p

When they *do* try to write a relationship, it ends up dysfunctional as fark all because they keep trying to generate tension between the two characters themselves, instead of between the two characters and the setting or other characters. Cue fluke misunderstandings, etc.

Comment

Working...
                X