This just in Ubisoft grows a clue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bara View Post
    Now, if everyone else would realize this small startling discovery. Take dominoes pizza... not the best pizza. But its cheap when compared to the other pizza places (around here anyway) so it does great business. Good for me as I deliver them.
    not if the tips are coorespondingly cheap esp during Welfare Week.
    I'm lost without a paddle and I'm headed up sh*t creek.

I got one foot on a banana peel and the other in the Twilight Zone.
    The Fools - Life Sucks Then You Die

Comment

As Gravekeeper and several others have said, I am actively boycotting Ubi. I'm refusing to buy any game that they publish (and there have been several that interested me!) until they cease with their absurd and abusive DRM schemes that only serve to punish and hobble the legitimate customers, while doing nothing to stop the pirates.

Their announcement is half a step in the right direction. But there's a big gap between words and deeds, and I'm waiting to see if they can walk the walk as well as they talk the talk. Time will tell. And in the meantime, the boycott goes on.

Comment

Originally posted by Nekojin View Post
        As Gravekeeper and several others have said, I am actively boycotting Ubi. I'm refusing to buy any game that they publish (and there have been several that interested me!) until they cease with their absurd and abusive DRM schemes that only serve to punish and hobble the legitimate customers, while doing nothing to stop the pirates.

Their announcement is half a step in the right direction. But there's a big gap between words and deeds, and I'm waiting to see if they can walk the walk as well as they talk the talk. Time will tell. And in the meantime, the boycott goes on.
        I feel like the ignorant and inexperienced in this issue. The only Ubi games I have and buy are on the XBOX, where I'm not dealing with the DRM issues you all are talking about. I can remember when EA was forcing DRM crap, but they seem to have stopped. I just have no experience with Ubi and their DRM issues.
        Some People Are Alive Only Because It's Illegal To Kill Them.

Comment

Originally posted by crashhelmet View Post
          I feel like the ignorant and inexperienced in this issue. The only Ubi games I have and buy are on the XBOX, where I'm not dealing with the DRM issues you all are talking about. I can remember when EA was forcing DRM crap, but they seem to have stopped. I just have no experience with Ubi and their DRM issues.
          All of the Ubi DRM issues are on their PC games. If you only deal with them on consoles, it's only natural that you wouldn't know what people are ranting about, and I'd agree that you'd have no reason to harbor any ill will toward Ubi.

*shrug* Different perspectives can bring different conclusions.

(And no, EA hasn't stopped with their issues, but theirs are a fraction of the nonsense that Ubi has done, and generally in a different facet)

Comment

I use an app who's name is drawing a blank right now to set up virtual drives for ISO files. EA's DRM used to have conniptions if that was running and those virtual drives were active. I can't remember the last time I've had an issue with that, or any other DRM related issue with them for that matter

Comment

I use an app who's name is drawing a blank right now to set up virtual drives for ISO files. EA's DRM used to have conniptions if that was running and those virtual drives were active. I can't remember the last time I've had an issue with that, or any other DRM related issue with them for that matter
              Sure, but with that, you could deactivate the virtual drivers that EA's DRM was having a problem with, and carry on with your gaming. With the DRM that Ubi's been using for the past few years, you had to have a constant connection to their servers (while playing an exclusively single-player game, mind you), or you couldn't play. Their servers go down? Nobody can play the game. And there were several noteworthy server outages, including a PLANNED outage that they declared wouldn't impact the players... but it did.

It's frequently compared to Steam, but at least Steam has an Offline mode, where you can disconnect Steam from the internet completely, and still play most of the games in your library.

Comment

Originally posted by Nekojin View Post
                Sure, but with that, you could deactivate the virtual drivers that EA's DRM was having a problem with, and carry on with your gaming. With the DRM that Ubi's been using for the past few years, you had to have a constant connection to their servers (while playing an exclusively single-player game, mind you), or you couldn't play. Their servers go down? Nobody can play the game. And there were several noteworthy server outages, including a PLANNED outage that they declared wouldn't impact the players... but it did.

It's frequently compared to Steam, but at least Steam has an Offline mode, where you can disconnect Steam from the internet completely, and still play most of the games in your library.
                This is why I don't play Starcraft 2 and won't be buying Diablo 3. I don't want that required constant connection when i'm playing a single player game.

Comment

EA's DRM used to have conniptions if that was running and those virtual drives were active.
                  Nekojin forgets that EA's drm also hated my off-brand optical drive, too. I had to jump through hoops to play The Sims 3 just because the drive I bought wasn't made by someone they'd heard of when they pressed the disk. >_<

This is why I don't play Starcraft 2 and won't be buying Diablo 3. I don't want that required constant connection when i'm playing a single player game.
                  Diablo 3, while perfectly playable solo, isn't actually a solo game. They're moving to a multiplayer online strategy, partly to support and provide security for their allowance of real-money-trading for in-game items.

I suspect that in order to properly separate the online trading-capable experience from the single-player experience that a lot of people want would require almost an entire second game's worth of code just to keep people from gaming the system to make money.

It certainly sucks if all you want is a solo experience, but I can understand the reasons behind their decisions.

^-.-^
                  Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Actually, no they're not. In fact they're taking a page out of Ubi's playbook requiring their Origin service to play the newest titles.

Comment

Originally posted by lordlundar View Post
                      Actually, no they're not. In fact they're taking a page out of Ubi's playbook requiring their Origin service to play the newest titles.
                      I had forgotten about Origin. I made a decision a few months ago that I won't buy any game that requires an always-on connection with Origin to play. But I also understand that some games only require an initial phone-home, so that's tolerable, in my book.

Activision, EA, and Ubi are all on my shit list, but Ubi is the only one so far to go far enough for me to boycott their products en masse.

Comment

My hatred of Origin defies human comprehension. It was a big enough dick move to declare they're making their own Steam clone then pull games off of Steam to put on their Steam clone. But Origin itself is a mess. I was forced to use it if I wanted to play Mass Effect 3 and it is a heaving, bloated mess of a program with fucktacular servers. The servers constantly fuck up when you're trying to play ME3.

My favourite though is I forgot my password when their servers went down last time and Origin still let me into my account and games in offline mode. *Without* a password. So anyone that stole my computer could get into my account ( Which saves your billing information and CC numbers by default if you don't tell it otherwise ) as long as they used offline mode.

What the fuck, EA?

Comment

Originally posted by lordlundar View Post
                          At this point, unless the company has had a complete corporate restructuring replacing the current executives with people with common sense,
                          I cannot comprehend the confusion of ideas that would prompt you to even consider that such an event were possible...

Comment

Originally posted by draco664 View Post
                            I cannot comprehend the confusion of ideas that would prompt you to even consider that such an event were possible...
                            I don't think it's possible. That's why I'm saying this "change" by Ubisoft is a load of BS.

Comment

Working...
                            X