Grenade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grenade

So this song comes up from time to time on the XM station we have playing at work. At first I thought it was just another song where the woman is a heartless bitch.

Now that I've paid more attention to the lyrics, it's more hypocritical and that grinds my gears.

Saying there was trouble when during their first kiss she had her eyes open? How exactly does he know this?

Later in the song he's upset that the woman isn't willing to die for him even though he'd die for her? Comes off as creepy if you're expecting your SO to do that.

Been a while since I heard this song (thank fuck) but iir it had this line
    "I'd jump infront of a train for ya"
    what exactly would that accomplish, aside from ending your life and giving a train driver an unwelcome sight.
    Once that train parks for the clean up all other trains cannot just go around as if it was a road.

Todd in the shadows has already covered this song in great detail last year.

but the whole "but you won't do the same." damn right, why should I catch a grenade or die for someone, I try not to risk my life for me, why the ever loving should I risk my life for someone else.

"Sex with you is fantastic, so much that I would kill myself to save you so I will not loose out on such great sex." wait what?

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Tea View Post
      Been a while since I heard this song (thank fuck) but iir it had this line
      "I'd jump infront of a train for ya"
      what exactly would that accomplish, aside from ending your life and giving a train driver an unwelcome sight.
      I suppose it could delay someone getting somewhere else.

Like a teacher that is going to apply a test.

Comment

Since this seems to be about complaints with song lyrics, I'd like to offer up Pink's song, So What.

Now, I know that there have been a lot of "breaking up" songs over the years, and they can be therapeutic for the singer. But this one rubs me the wrong way, because the first half is all about saying how she's liberated and going to cause all sorts of trouble, just because she can get away with it because she's a rock star; and the second half is all about bashing her ex (specifically, calling him a "tool" several times) and whining about how he "wasn't there."

It doesn't seem like she's trying to come to terms with the end of the relationship - it seems like, if anything, she's still holding a massive grudge. And while I'll acknowledge that there's a difference between the singer of a song and the protagonist of the song, it still makes it seem like she's hugely immature.

Comment

I can't stand "Grenade" either. It reminds me too much of those whiney, insecure "nice guys" who are always whining about not getting the girl. Grow a backbone.

I hear you on the Pink song as well, but what's always irritated me were Taylor Swift songs. Debate with me all you want about how talented and original she is, but she's just another teenage girl who has to tell the whole world about all of her breakups and it's just the same old story over and over again......and for some reason, people love it. If I wrote a song about every guy that broke my heart, people would tell me to get over it.

And along the same notes, I swear, if there were a male version of Taylor Swift bashing all of his exes, he'd probably be lynched.

Comment

"Grenade" is a song about the sacrifices he'd make that she won't. A song about how he gave and was willing to give all that he could, but she wouldn't. All she would do is take what he gave. It's symbolism.

Hypocritical? How is this hypocritical on his part?

Creepy? If you're not willing to sacrifice everything you have and everything you are for the person you love, you're not in love.
            Some People Are Alive Only Because It's Illegal To Kill Them.

Comment

I don't understand the fascination with Taylor Swift. She has a mediocre voice, writes awful songs...and she's not even really attractive. Her face looks overly botox-ed and she's what..20? Don't get it at all.

Comment

Pink's "So What" is an FU song. It's an ego stroke. Self-affirmation that her life isn't over. Instead of wallowing in misery, she's moving on. Oh well, shit happens, I'll get over it, etc. The funny thing about it is they're back together again. They even had a baby.

You're right Blas, if a guy did write a song like that he probably would be lynched. It's all a part of that double standard we live with every day.

Alannis Morrisette can write "You Oughta Know"
                Carrie Underwood sings "Before he Cheats"
                No Doubt's Tragic Kingdom album was almost entirely break up songs written by Gwen to Tony

All highly acclaimed hits.

As always, there are exceptions to the rules. Keith Urban's "Think of Me" was a hit, as was Justin Timberlake's "Cry Me A River" but they play the victim card in their songs. When the largest portion of their fan base is female, it's easy for them to do.

"Cry Me A River" was written about his break up with Britney Spears. Women loved that. They hated her for dating him and loved that song for what it meant. Never mind the fact that he cheated on her left and right. He's the victim. He said so and they believed him.

Comment

I can't speak for all of America, but I love "Cry Me a River" entirely because of Timbaland. That man knows how to lay down a beat.

Comment

I love "so what" by pink. Then again I love her songs. Also to add on the song had Carey Hart in the video. So he apparently went along with it.

"Grenade" I always hated. I know rock and metal bands also make break up songs. They write what they know and are able to connect with their audience through their past.
                    Last edited by bex1218; 11-13-2012, 06:15 PM.

Comment

Symbolism... I don't think that word means what you think it means.

The word you're looking for is hyperbole.

Annoying hyperbole at that. He went a little too far and slipped into "I'm completely obsessed" territory. He turned himself into a doormat and now he's bitching about it. If she wasn't giving back, it should've been an instant realization and walk away. Not the constant giving, giving, giving hoping that they'd change. Obviously he was perfectly fine with all her taking during the relationship, for whatever reason, but once she broke up with him now he's sore about it. That's how I see that song.
                      Last edited by AmbrosiaWriter; 11-13-2012, 07:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AmbrosiaWriter View Post
                        Symbolism... I don't think that word means what you think it means.

The word you're looking for is hyperbole.

Annoying hyperbole at that. He went a little too far and slipped into "I'm completely obsessed" territory. He turned himself into a doormat and now he's bitching about it. If she wasn't giving back, it should've been an instant realization and walk away. Not the constant giving, giving, giving hoping that they'd change. Obviously he was perfectly fine with all her taking during the relationship, for whatever reason, but once she broke up with him now he's sore about it. That's how I see that song.
                        Form the lyrics, the intent of the song is hard to judge. It could be a break up song, where he's saying I'm done with you. It could be a guilt trip song from someone in the "Friend Zone." It's not a heartbroken, take me back song that's for sure.

But because of that, obsession is a strong word to use here. He's not saying "If I can't have you, no one can." He's saying "I'll sacrifice everything, including my own life for you."

If that's obsession, I guess I'm obsessed with my family members and my closest friends. Because I would do all of those things for them. I wouldn't marry a woman unless I would be willing to do all of those things for her.

Then again, I have this uncommon definition of what love is. I actually believe in the necessity for compromise and sacrifice.

Comment

i would agree with you crashhelmet... before the video came out. it showed the artist dragging his piano about like a literal "cross to bear", and killing himself because she is with someone new.
                          that made it from creepo to whacko territory, in my opinion.

obsession doesn't require killing the other person in jealousy. many people threaten and commit suicide over breakups. i remember back in high school a few girls, myself included, that had people threaten or claim suicide attempts over rejection.
                          Last edited by siead_lietrathua; 11-13-2012, 10:14 PM.
                          All uses of You, You're, and etc are generic unless specified otherwise.

Comment

I have just realized I have never seen this video. Considering I finally saw Back to the Future 3 for the very first time last week, I'm not surprised.

Comment

Originally posted by crashhelmet View Post
                              You're right Blas, if a guy did write a song like that he probably would be lynched. It's all a part of that double standard we live with every day.

Alannis Morrisette can write "You Oughta Know"
                              Carrie Underwood sings "Before he Cheats"
                              No Doubt's Tragic Kingdom album was almost entirely break up songs written by Gwen to Tony

All highly acclaimed hits.

As always, there are exceptions to the rules. Keith Urban's "Think of Me" was a hit, as was Justin Timberlake's "Cry Me A River" but they play the victim card in their songs. When the largest portion of their fan base is female, it's easy for them to do.
                              What about "More than I can do" by Billy Ray Cyrus? I hate that one, just like I hate the Pepi Le Pew cartoons. Can you imagine a live-action sitcom "Bubba and the babes", with a "God's gift to women" lead character who doesn't realize that the women are trying to avoid him?

Comment

Working...
                              X