Dog fashion; what's the point?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had forgotten this incident until now:

I put my pug into a Santa suit for about five minutes last Christmas. He didn't seem to care for it (I think it chafed a bit) but he wasn't going so batshit that I couldn't get him to pose for a few pictures for our Christmas card.

Yes, it was pointless and stupid and totally for my own amusement. But I can't consider it an act of cruelty. Consider that my dogs get fed better diet than I do, see their docs more often, and my daily schedule revolves around walking them three times a day. All I ask for in return is a few laughs.

My husband was against the Santa suit idea, not for animal welfare reasons, but because he didn't want to be "one of those people" who dress up their dogs.

Comment

I don't consider it cruel, just silly.

I don't want to be one of 'those people' either.

Comment

I think its silly too, but that said, my doxie wears sweaters. Why? Because she has no body fat and no undercoat. She also has a slightly high body temperature...which the vet says is normal for her. So, she gets cold VERY easily...it can be 70 degrees and she'll sit there and shiver and her paws and ears will be cold. So she wears generic knit sweaters to keep her comfortable.

I see the store selling dresses and stuff for dogs and it drives me bonkers. They're not dress-up dolls! And I know people see me walking this little dog in her sweater and think I'm one of these goofballs who think putting clothes on a dog is 'cute'...and I so am not. I just want her to be comfortable.

Comment

I would like to point out to all those people who seem to have misunderstood my dislike for dog fashion that I'm not talking about coats etc for such mundane reasons as stopping your dog from freezing to death. I mean the whole "Paris Hilton/let's put dresses, hats, jewelry, high heels etc etc on the doggie!!1!eleventy" thing, which to me might not be cruelty in the broadest sense of the term, but isn't necessary. Just like carrying your dog around in a handbag and not training it, cuz it's small. Small dogs like to walk just as much as large dogs, and can also be trained.
          "Oh wow, I can't believe how stupid I used to be and you still are."

Comment

Working...
          X