No announcement yet.

The Doonesbury "Say What?" thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "With regard to the picture, 'It's a Wonderful Life,' xxxx stated in substance that the film represented a rather obvious attempt to discredit bankers by casting Lionel Barrymore as a 'Scrooge-type' so that he would be the most hated man in the picture. This, according to these sources, is a common trick used by Communists."
    —from 1947 FBI report, "Communist Infiltration of the Motion Picture Industry"

What isn't mentioned: The "sources" are bank executives who paid for the report and were the only materials we were permitted to utilize.

Comment

• "I think it was absolutely a mistake for President Obama and Harry Reid to force a government shutdown."

Sen. Ted Cruz

For the record, the only ones blaming the Democrats for the shutdown (which was an action done by congress led and locked down by the republicans) are the ones responsible for it int he first place.

Comment

• their logic is that Obama forced the shutdown instead of acceding to their oh-so-reasonable demands of guaranteeing the failure of his flagship healthcare policy. (had the ACA been defunded, then it would have failed almost immediately)

Comment

• "I don't know. It's a question I've never even thought about."
          —abortion foe Ohio state Sen. Jim Buchy, asked by a reporter, "What do you think makes a woman want to have an abortion?"

Yup, he just wants to ban choice because reasons.

Comment

• "God created humans pretty much in their present form at one time in the last 10,000 years or so."
            —assertion agreed with by 46% of Americans, according to a recent Gallup poll

Given what's been going on in the States at this point, this is not surprising.

Comment

• "I've been the best mayor that this city's ever had. My record speaks for itself."
              —Toronto mayor Rob Ford, seeking re-election

Do you want to know what the sad reality of this statement is? Given his official track record, he's right. Or at least better than recent mayors of the city.

Comment

• Originally posted by lordlundar View Post
                "I've been the best mayor that this city's ever had. My record speaks for itself."
                —Toronto mayor Rob Ford, seeking re-election

Do you want to know what the sad reality of this statement is? Given his official track record, he's right. Or at least better than recent mayors of the city.
                the other sad thing is (according to what I have heard on the CBC) is that the people in Toronto actually LIKE him and would re-elect this guy in a heartbeat despite the many public incidents of stupid drunken behavior and now the smokin' crack thing.

Leave it to humanity to always vote against their own best interests.
                I'm lost without a paddle and I'm headed up sh*t creek.

I got one foot on a banana peel and the other in the Twilight Zone.
                The Fools - Life Sucks Then You Die

Comment

• I don't know, if he's actually effective in his position then I'd prefer someone who makes a dick of themselves in public but is competent to some of the fucktards currently in politics
                  I am a sexy shoeless god of war!
                  Minus the sexy and I'm wearing shoes.

Comment

• "At the moment, there is no presence of the Iraqi state in Fallujah. The police and the army have abandoned the city, al-Qaeda has taken down all the Iraqi flags and burned them, and it has raised its own flag on all the buildings."

an anonymous Iraqi journalist, quoted in Business Insider story

So much for that "liberation" of Iraq was short lived, huh?

Comment

• "If you agree to have sex with me whenever I want."
                      -- Roger Ailes, offering an extra $100 per week to producer Randi Harrison, according to new Ailes bio

"The book was never fact-checked with Fox News."
                      -- Fox News spokeswoman

Wouldn't that require Fox News actually checking for facts in the first place?

Comment

• more to the point, wouldn't it be either Alies or Harrison you fact-check with? I very much doubt that (if she agreed) Ailes put down on the paperwork for a pay rise for Harrison " she agreed to have sex with me whenever I want"

Comment

• "I am not a bully."

Governor Chris Christie

Suuurrrreee. And Nixon wasn't a crook either.

Comment

• I'm saddened by Christie. Up until the bridge thing, he seemed like a decent, viable, relatively moderate Republican, and though that's not ideally where my vote would go, it's something this country desperately needs. But it seems he threw both "decent" and "viable" out the window; one thing EVERYBODY agrees on is hatred of traffic jams, and while people mostly accept them as inevitable, deliberately causing them for petty personal reasons won't fly.
                            "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

• Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
                              I'm saddened by Christie. Up until the bridge thing, he seemed like a decent, viable, relatively moderate Republican, and though that's not ideally where my vote would go, it's something this country desperately needs. But it seems he threw both "decent" and "viable" out the window; one thing EVERYBODY agrees on is hatred of traffic jams, and while people mostly accept them as inevitable, deliberately causing them for petty personal reasons won't fly.
                              Ha, your "everyone agrees traffic jams are bad" statement made me laugh. Although I think the high speed rail lobby might have some interest in Christie.

Comment

• In this case, it doesn't matter. Someone who would delay traffic for that kind of reason would do the same with trains.
                                "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Working...
                                X