No announcement yet.

The Doonesbury "Say What?" thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "It is difficult, because if we have no laws on this, people will take it to one extension further -- does it have to be humans?" - Rand Paul, talking to Glenn Beck about Marriage Equality.

In other words, Paul is saying that gay marriage leads to bestiality. There is a huge problem with that statement. In his home state of Kentucky, bestiality is legal, gay marriage is not.
    Corey Taylor is correct. Man is a "four letter word."

Comment

• Originally posted by catcul View Post
      In other words, Paul is saying that gay marriage leads to bestiality. There is a huge problem with that statement. In his home state of Kentucky, bestiality is legal, gay marriage is not.
      Unless it's codified into law as being legal, it's actually just not illegal. And in that case, consent laws would still be applied, so while it's not specifically prohibited, in practice, it's not actually legal.
      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

• Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post
        Unless it's codified into law as being legal, it's actually just not illegal. And in that case, consent laws would still be applied, so while it's not specifically prohibited, in practice, it's not actually legal.
        I have to disagree with you there. Many states tried to prosecute people who had inappropriate relations with the dead and found out that there were no anti-necrophilia laws. If it's not specifically forbidden by law, it's legal.
        Corey Taylor is correct. Man is a "four letter word."

Comment

• "One chord is fine. Two chords are pushing it. Three chords and you're into jazz."
          —Lou Reed

RIP Lou.

Comment

• "The fact is, the NSA has done more to save German lives than the German army since World War II."
            —Rep. Peter King

I don't even know what to say about this level of stupidity.

Comment

• I want context for that one.

Comment

• Same here; specifically, the mechanism he meant had saved them.
                "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

• Wish I had some context. All I've been able to find was it being referenced with the turnaround in attitude toward the NSA when they got caught spying on foreign dignitaries. Apparently the representative said it during a CNN interview defending the NSA.

I'm just amazed that he pulled the "I'm spying on you for you're own good." argument.

Comment

• Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
                    Same here; specifically, the mechanism he meant had saved them.
                    Above our pay grade, I fear.

Rapscallion
                    Proud to be a W.A.N.K.E.R. - Womanless And No Kids - Exciting Rubbing!
                    Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

• "There's no comity with Harry Reid. I think he's an absolute a**hole."
                      —Sen. Tom Coburn

Ah, bipartisanship for the sake of the country is wonderful, isn't it? Too bad it's more likely to go extinct than actually happen.

Comment

• "In The Wizard of Oz there is a great line. Dorothy at some point in the movie turns to her little dog, Toto, and says, 'Toto, we're not in Kansas anymore.' Well, Madam Secretary, while you're from Kansas, we're not in Kansas anymore."
                        —Rep. Joe Barton, questioning Kathleen Sebelius

So when's Barton going to realize that they're not in Oz either?

Comment

• to be fair, he was saying it to an administration representative defending screwups in the rollout of the Healthcare.gov website. He may have been referring to the fact that they appear to be trying to shift the blame for some rather poor design decisions. ( the fact that you can't see what prices are for insurance without signing up first, for example)

Comment

• Actually, no she wasn't...

"You deserve better. I apologize. I'm accountable to you for fixing these problems..."
                            -- HHS Secretary Kathleen Sibelius testifying before House Energy and Commerce Committee

"...You're now blaming it on the contractors and saying it's Verizon's fault."
                            -- Rep. Marsha Blackburn

"Let me be clear. I'm not pointing fingers at Verizon. We own the site...Hold me accountable for the debacle. I'm responsible."
                            -- Sibelius

"...The president is ultimately responsible for the rollout."
                            -- Rep. Gregg Harper

"No, sir. We are responsible for the rollout."
                            -- Sibelius

There's a difference between explaining the issues and assigning blame. The GOP seem to be unaware of this and have been unaware for years.

Comment

• "Pretty soon things are going to get so bad that we're just going to ignore the feds and live our own lives in our own states."

Ron Paul

It's been argued it's already happening. To add, he's acting like this hasn't been a goal.

Comment

• "Yes, I have smoked crack cocaine...Probably in one of my drunken stupors...I don't even remember."

Toronto Mayor Rob Ford

I could go with any number of snide remarks, but he's making it too easy.

Comment

Working...
                                X