The Doonesbury "Say What?" thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Doonesbury "Say What?" thread

I've been meaning to make this thread for a while (I'm lazy, sue me) and this one sparked me into actually doing it. I present to you the Doonesbury "Say What?" thread.

For those of you wondering, on the Doonesbury comic's main page they have a small spot labelled "Say What?" where every few days they put notable quotes from personalities usually surrounding politics. And by notable I mean where they do their damnedest (and usually succeed) in instilling a BSOD in the brain, hence the title.

I'll keep this thread updated with the quote and my personal take on it, if I have one.

Let's get started shall we?

"With Jihawg Ammo, you don't just kill an Islamist terrorist, you also send him to hell."

Now this is bad enough, but it's even worse when you consider who's behind it.

-- press release from maker of pork-laced bullets

Yup, you heard correctly, pork laced bullets. I really can't see how this is anything less than a company formed by a bigot. And no, I really don't want to know how the bullets are made.

That said, not only is the CEO a bigot (and probably anyone working there that isn't there simply for a paycheck) he's an ignorant bigot:

"[In the Quran] there is no penalty for coming into contact with pork."
    -- Religious Studies professor Shannon Dunn

Ladies and gentlemen, this is where intellect just backhands stupidity and says "hurts, doesn't it?"

Comment

Aggravating anyway, a quote like that. Aside from the issues in the thread on those bullets, the whole notion of *wanting* someone to go to hell... well, it seems to come largely from people who would proudly declare themselves Christians. It's an easy temptation, but we're commanded in no uncertain terms to love our enemies, which whatever else it may mean surely includes NOT rejoicing at the prospect of their eternal torment.
      "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

I love Doonesbury. I've read the strip for a long time now.

At any rate, if they are literally Christian then they would know that a Muslim wouldn't need any extra help going to hell (gah...trying to think of a good way to say that one). Since the Muslim didn't ask Jesus into his heart or whatever.

Still..what's the point?

Comment

I'm not sure they are Christian, just bigots. I just see this as more of the anti-islam attitude going on in the US right now.

Comment

"Would you have fired you?"
            -- Matt Lauer

"Would I have fired me? Knowing me? No."
            -- Paula Deen

I'm a little detached from this one but honestly, I would have sacked her right quick. First racist remarks then refusing to show up for a performance. Yeah, she's no longer doing her job.

What irritates me more is that this is what the news media was focusing on as opposed to what was happening in Texas and with the Supreme court, two FAR more important (and interesting in fact) stories than a celebrity chef with a love affair with grease getting sacked.

Comment

Be irritated at the public at large, then, because I strongly suspect more eyeballs checked out the Paula Deen thing than did probably the latter two combined.
              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I spend a lot of downtime at work perusing news websites. I'd say there was about equal coverage for the Paula Deen story as there was for the Texas story, but the Supreme Court stories definitely trumped them all. Everywhere was live blogs of the announcements and tons of different articles on reactions from both sides, the implications, statistical analysis of which states would be adopting gay marriage when, and opinion pieces on it. The media definitely did do the Supreme Court story justice, at least, in terms of the amount of coverage.

Comment

Sorry about the delay, been away from net access for a few days.

"Jesus wept...Five people in robes said they are bigger than the voters of CA and Congress combined. And bigger than God. May He forgive us all."

—former Gov. Mike Huckabee on DOMA decision

Bigger than God? Ballsy Huckabee. Maybe when he can prove that the divine being wrote the country's laws first hand he might have a case.

Comment

to be fair, I suspect that he thinks that the Supreme Court thinks it is bigger than God because he believes two things:
                    1) the bible is the word of god
                    2) the bible states that homosexuality is a sin

if both of those facts are true, then the Supreme Court ruling that gay marriage should be legal measn they think they know better than god.

it's bullshit anyway (the 5 people in robes decided that the US Constitution says that gay marriage should be legal. Their personal opinions aren't ( supposed) to matter.)

Comment

This one's a little on the humorous side.

"I've always thought the Yankees had something to do with it."

—Gen. Pickett, asked why his charge at Gettysburg failed

No shit Sherlock.

Comment

"If I don't finish in the top three for the next Nobel Peace Prize, something's seriously wrong."
                        —Dennis Rodman

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! Oh wait he's serious.

Sorry Dennis, but claiming to be BFF with a junior dictator does not quite have enough oomph to get up there.

Comment

"Cheap student loans keep people out of the labor market. This is a dangerous spiral."
                          —Tucker Carlson

It might be because I'm still half asleep, but the only way I can read this as true is if he defines "labor market" as "cheap, go nowhere jobs that I would never do."

Comment

Wow, been a while since they put up a new one.

"You're a Muslim, so why did you write a book about the founder of Christianity?"
                            -- Fox News' Lauren Green to religious scholar Reza Aslan

"Well, to be clear, I am a scholar of religions with four degrees, including one in the New Testament, and fluency in biblical Greek, who has been studying the origins of Christianity for two decades, who also just happens to be a Muslim. It's not that I'm just some Muslim writing about Jesus. I am an expert with a Ph.D. in the history of religions."
                            -- Aslan

"It still begs the question. Why would you be interested in the founder of Christianity?"
                            -- Green

See , this is really indicative that Fox News has no concept of what "Scholar" or "School" means. Maybe they should go back to it.

Comment

I read a transcript of that interview. Talk about a hack job. I'm tempted to pick up the book just because. Why would a Muslim write about Jesus? Why not. They sort of believe in Jesus too....they just don't believe that he was the Son of God.

Comment

Working...
                              X