Alright who is in the JLA movie, debate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nekojin View Post
    You do realize that this is the same comics company where a girl whose primary power is the ability to talk to squirrels is considered one of the most powerful beings in creation, having singlehandedly stopped a cosmic power at least once?

I mean, granted, Squirrel Girl's phenomenal feats are generally done off-page, and it's kind of a running joke, but it's canon.
    Frankly, if Squirrel Girl doesn't get at least a cameo in GoG or another Marvel movie or some such, I'll be highly disapointed

Comment

You do realize that this is the same comics company where a girl whose primary power is the ability to talk to squirrels is considered one of the most powerful beings in creation, having singlehandedly stopped a cosmic power at least once?

I mean, granted, Squirrel Girl's phenomenal feats are generally done off-page, and it's kind of a running joke, but it's canon.
      This alone says it really. If you're expecting something that isn't bizzare in some fashion, then you don't know Marvel very well. I mean, think about it, they have Deadpool!
      Last edited by lordlundar; 07-10-2013, 06:22 PM.

Comment

"Arrow" Star Wants In On "Justice League"

With the Marvel Universe converting their film characters into the SHIELD TV series, I wonder if DC would consider tieing the Arrow TV show into the JLA movie, rather than produce a Green Arrow movie.

Just a thought
        Some People Are Alive Only Because It's Illegal To Kill Them.

Comment

It certainly makes sense to use the existing Green Arrow actor rather than casting someone completely new. The differences between TV filming and movie filming these days are mostly mechanical and behind-the-scenes; there's no reason to believe that Stephen Amell wouldn't be able to do the transition.

The question, though, is really what kind of universe they want to portray. DC's been pushing really hard for their superhero TV shows to be "mostly normal" with only a little bit of spandex-clad superheroics. Between the Batman movies* and the Birds of Prey and Arrow TV shows, as well (somewhat) as Smallville, they've really tried to push a normal-people-doing-heroics angle. If they're going to be using the classic Justice League cast, that pushes it completely into the "powers beyond those of mortal men" realm. As a natural consequence of that, the Green Arrow character in it would be a different person than the Oliver Queen character in the Arrow TV show, although the difference might only be minor.

They're walking a tightrope here, and I'm not sure they're entirely aware of it.

* The Batman movies have consistently downplayed the details that step outside of "normal people" - Ra's Al Ghul's resurrections via the Lazarus Pits is never mentioned; Bane never does the drug-fueled hulk-out that many comics fans are familiar with.

Comment

I'm hoping that with Nolan no longer working with the DC movie universe, they choose to embrace their comic book origins.

As much as I might like to see Amell in the role, his Oliver Queen wouldn't fit in that world. Although, that doesn't say that they couldn't have him in the role while writing the role for a different 'universe.'
            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I guess I'm the odd person out when I say that I don't care for him at all. He just seems to stiff, angsty, and douche-y to be a "anti-The Man" foil for GL.

Comment

I've had a little time to consider, and I have a question for Marvel fans.

Ok, I love X-men, and I know a ton of their bad guys. And some that are good and bad guys, and some that were bad .. and anyhow I am drawing a blank here. As a team, name three well known villains for the Avengers (Not counting Red Skull, even I can remember him) that was NOT introduced by a recent movie that people would recognize?

Comment

Virtually all of the "Avengers" villains that would be considered big name villains are originally villains from one of the main Avengers characters, not villains for the Avengers as a group.

That said, there are a few bigger-named villains who were introduced in The Avengers:

1.) Ultron - Super-intelligent, self-aware, self-replicating robot with a vibranium body, created by Hank Pym. Don't expect to see him in Avengers 2 unless they introduce Hank and Janet (Wasp). There's plenty of ways to introduce both, so that shouldn't be an obstacle if they want to use Ultron as a villain.

2.) Kang the Conqueror - Evil overlord from the future, he comes back to the "present" to meddle with events to make his rule a reality - or make it come sooner than in his timeline. He's far too much of a 1960's style villain to make the transition to the big screen.

3.) Taskmaster - More of a Captain America villain, but a good one for the big screen. He's a super-flunky teacher, a guy who teaches mooks and henchmen to be more than just disposable muscle. With photographic reflexes (if he sees someone do something, he can replicate it, if he's got the equipment - like duplicating Cap's shield bounce), he's a high-end "normal" who is a master of many martial arts. Expect really flashy fight sequences if they choose to use him.

4.) Zodiac - a 12- member supervillain group whose origins and powers should be obvious. Far too corny for the silver screen.

5.) Wonder Man - one of many Avengers with a checkered past (like Hawkeye), Wonder Man is Marvel's more modern answer to Superman - superstrong, invulnerable. Can't fly, though. He was a normal man who was turned into something... more. He redeems himself seemingly at the cost of his own life, which causes his brother to become a serious, B-grade supervillain called the Grim Reaper. Could be a useful story arc if they're planning more than three movies, but probably not.

6.) Jocasta. Sexy self-aware robot created by Ultron to be his bride. Originally villainous, she redeemed herself in saving the Avengers from Ultron. Was used as little more than a maid in the Avengers Mansion for years.

Comment

Virtually all of the "Avengers" villains that would be considered big name villains are originally villains from one of the main Avengers characters, not villains for the Avengers as a group.
                    Agreed. Most of the time it's a major member of a particular hero's rogue's gallery that got a supercharge and requires more than the conventional hero himself/herself to defeat.

The problem is you start to get into power creep territory and it requires elaborate excuses to get the hero going solo against their rogues gallery otherwise. When this fails (and it inevitably does) a retcon occurs.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nekojin View Post
                      1.) Ultron - Super-intelligent, self-aware, self-replicating robot with a vibranium body, created by Hank Pym. Don't expect to see him in Avengers 2 unless they introduce Hank and Janet (Wasp). There's plenty of ways to introduce both, so that shouldn't be an obstacle if they want to use Ultron as a villain.
                      There is an Ant Man movie in development right now, with a projected release date of November 2015. It's intended to be the first Marvel movie after Avengers 2.

Comment

• Originally posted by crashhelmet View Post
                        There is an Ant Man movie in development right now, with a projected release date of November 2015. It's intended to be the first Marvel movie after Avengers 2.
                        I know, and I know that both Ant Man and Wasp's powers* come from Pym Particles (that Pym invented) that allows for size changing. The question is whether they're expressly making it a Hank Pym story, or if they're retconning it to make Scott Lang (the more well-known Ant Man) the creator of the suit. I haven't seen any cast list for the movie yet.

I trust that they won't screw it up, but there's a lot of issues with regard to Hank and Janet, especially the whole "abusive husband" angle that I don't feel can be adequately encapsulated within a single movie.

Wikipedia has this to say: "The script was written by Wright and Joe Cornish, who plans to include Henry Pym and Scott Lang as major characters." So... anything goes?

* As well as Giant Man, and a few others. And most of those names have been used by more than one person, making things even more confusing!

Comment

• Originally posted by Nekojin View Post
                          I trust that they won't screw it up, but there's a lot of issues with regard to Hank and Janet, especially the whole "abusive husband" angle that I don't feel can be adequately encapsulated within a single movie.
                          I don't know much about Antman from a comic perspective, but the portrayal in Avengers EMH was pretty good. Reluctant pacifist that inadvertently creates Ultron, a world threatening AI super weapon. Granted, he ends up quitting being Antman at that point.....and then loses his mind and becomes Yellowjacket. But still, the first part of the arc was pretty good -.-

In EMH when he gives up being Antman, he gives the suit to Scott Lang. Before going on to be Yellowjacket. So the two co-exist in the show. I guess if both are going to be in the movie, then maybe one goes on to be Yellowjacket as a villain or something.

I don't care much for Yellowjacket. Antman was more entertaining when it was Antman the giant science nerd oblivious to sassy Wasp's feminine wiles. It works much better as nerd and sass then it did as raging lunatic Yellowjacket and sad emotionally tortured Wasp.

I don't think the latter would work overly well in Avengers 2. It would suck a lot of the life out of the movie. Heck, it'd be a bummer to watch in a solo movie.

Comment

• That's kind of my point - the romantic highs and lows of the relationship between Hank and Janet is a side story, and needs more than a movie or two to really explore it properly. Otherwise, it either takes over the show, or becomes a crude caricature.

Comment

• Just announced at ComicCon by Zack Snyder

Official: Superman Sequel Will Feature Batman In “One Explosive New Film”

Comment

• That could be a good start, maybe?

Comment

Working...
                                X