X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NBC Rebooting "Murder, She Wrote"

Yep.

Starring Octavia Spencer.

I don't even know where to start. It sounds like it has literally nothing to do with the original show except the title.

In the original, Landsbury was a widowed English teacher turned hugely successful novelist. In the new one, Spencer ( Who is 20 years younger than Landsbury when she started Murder, She Wrote ) is a hospital administrator that self publishes a mystery novel on the Interwebs. Which somehow gives her enough street cred to fight crime.

Sounds more like they want to combine Murder She Wrote and Diagnosis Murder. Wonder what Dick Van Dyke is going to think about this.

Comment

Originally posted by Aethian View Post
      Sounds more like they want to combine Murder She Wrote and Diagnosis Murder. Wonder what Dick Van Dyke is going to think about this.
      Sounds like they want to copy Castle but slap on name recognition.

Comment

The thing is, that Jessica Fletcher was an author rarely actually fit into the story except that it meant a relatively unscheduled work life, and therefore logically left her free to travel (always arriving just before a murder, of course.) Any number of primary careers would work about as well... but hospital administrator definitely is not one of them!

Still, that it would be different by no means it cannot possibly be worth watching. Especially if they put it Sundays at 8
        "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
          The thing is, that Jessica Fletcher was an author rarely actually fit into the story except that it meant a relatively unscheduled work life, and therefore logically left her free to travel (always arriving just before a murder, of course.) Any number of primary careers would work about as well... but hospital administrator definitely is not one of them!

Still, that it would be different by no means it cannot possibly be worth watching. Especially if they put it Sundays at 8
          My mom used to watch it, and from some of the few episodes I watched when visiting it did let her attend conventions and signings which got her to places to get involved.

Joke around our house is to arrest Jessica Fletcher as soon as she shows up, it might prevent a murder

Comment

She and Miss Marple before here were the perfect serial killers, they always had a knack of stitching some patsy up, bonus points if the police thought a relative of JB's did it and she proves s/he didn't it was some other sod with motive.

Comment

I'll keep an open mind, but this has "Doomed to Fail" written all over it.
              Corey Taylor is correct. Man is a "four letter word."

Comment

Originally posted by Gravekeeper View Post
                Sounds like they want to copy Castle but slap on name recognition.
                Never watched castle

Comment

Originally posted by Aethian View Post
                  Never watched castle
                  I have. It's not bad, but it doesn't hold my interest.

I adored Angela Lansberry. She was awesome, and I loved the first few seasons of Murder, She Wrote because I almost always was wrong about who dun it.

Later season, the writing became more transparent, and I lost interest.

Unless they have high quality mystery writing, I'm not likely to watch it.
                  Good news! Your insurance company says they'll cover you. Unfortunately, they also say it will be with dirt.

Comment

Originally posted by Panacea View Post
                    I have. It's not bad, but it doesn't hold my interest.

I adored Angela Lansberry. She was awesome, and I loved the first few seasons of Murder, She Wrote because I almost always was wrong about who dun it.

Later season, the writing became more transparent, and I lost interest.

That's me . . . I watched the original MSW and will still catch an occasion ep on Hallmark Channel (trying to re-record a few that I lost when everything accidentally deleted earlier this year.)

And they had some of the coolest guest stars too.

But as far as Octavia Spencer goes . . . I loved her in "The Help" (and she also played a prostitute in "Bad Santa" w/Billy Bob Thornton) but I don't see this working out too well. It's sounding as lame as Blair Underwood as "Ironside" (and I hear that show is struggling in ratings and is in danger of getting the ax.)
                    If life hands you lemons . . . find someone whose life is handing them vodka . . . and have a party - Ron "Tater Salad" White

Comment

Originally posted by Panacea View Post
                      "Desperate Housewives executive producer Alexandra Cunninghan"

I'm not holding out a lot of hope on the writing front -.-

Comment

Originally posted by DGoddess View Post
                        It's sounding as lame as Blair Underwood as "Ironside" (and I hear that show is struggling in ratings and is in danger of getting the ax.)
                        "Ironside" has been cancelled already.
                        Corey Taylor is correct. Man is a "four letter word."

Comment

Originally posted by catcul View Post
                          Good call . . . Can't wait for the "Chicago PD" to start.

Should be good with Jon Seda as Det. Dawson - I see that Voight character is back in this one as well. So expect a few crossovers w/Chicago Fire.
                          If life hands you lemons . . . find someone whose life is handing them vodka . . . and have a party - Ron "Tater Salad" White

Comment

I'm surprised I didn't notice this thread earlier, although to be honest it's reminded me of how much I miss Ellery Queen.
                            "I take it your health insurance doesn't cover acts of pussy."

Comment

Originally posted by Bloodsoul View Post
                              I'm surprised I didn't notice this thread earlier, although to be honest it's reminded me of how much I miss Ellery Queen.
                              That was a fun show. I really liked back in the early 70s when they rotated the NBC Wednesday Mystery Movie, I was disappointed Snoop Sisters didn't last more than a season. It seemed that the series on TV were better written. Light entertainment without a message [looking at YOU, Law and Order!]

Comment

Working...
                              X