Barbie to appear in Sports Illustrated's Swimsuit Edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gravekeeper View Post
    Its from a Disney show that only airs in Japan called Fireball. They're just little 1-2 minute episodes, but they're rather amusing.
    Any relation to Fireball XL5?

Comment

elastics can be a pain, but aren't dreadful to fix.
      though fuck i hate when one goes on a big doll. bodyparts EVERYWHERE
      All uses of You, You're, and etc are generic unless specified otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by wolfie View Post
        Any relation to Fireball XL5?
        No. It's a completely non-nonsensical show about a teenage German robot duchess and her butler who live in a giant evil tower in a post apocalyptic dystopian society of robots who have been at war with humanity for thousands of years.

You know, Disney!

Originally posted by siead_lietrathua
        elastics can be a pain, but aren't dreadful to fix.
        though fuck i hate when one goes on a big doll. bodyparts EVERYWHERE
        Ah yes. With GI Joes its more like defusing a bomb. The two halves of the chest piece are all that hold the head and arms on. So replacing an elastic was delicate work. Especially for a Coke'd up 8 year old. -.-

Comment

This thread has made me curious as to the contents of the giant bag of survivors in the closet. It's actually a Toys R Us bag too now that I look. Let's see who survived...

Oh yeah, we have some elastic casualties. I can see legs.

14 survivors, 3 casualties. Deep Six, Jinx and a Cobra Viper have perished. Luckily I have two Jinx.

This bag is almost entirely full of Micro Machines. Specifically, Star Wars and Star Trek ones.

There is also Phaeton and his armour from Exosquad ( <3 )
          10 Robotech Destroids.
          3 Transformers
          and 1 Gundam ( In a pear tree )

Otherwise its a ocean of micro machines, various figure accessories and replacement Gundam joints.

Wait, no, there are some glass counters from Magic The Gathering in here, and several game pieces from Axis & Allies. >.>

Comment

lmfao, carefull gravekeeper. your nerd is showing.

Comment

Ah yes. With GI Joes its more like defusing a bomb. The two halves of the chest piece are all that hold the head and arms on. So replacing an elastic was delicate work. Especially for a Coke'd up 8 year old. -.-
              Especially when you had to thread said elastic over a plastic hook in a hole no bigger than the pinky finger of a 5 year old and unless you shone a light straight in it you couldn't see shit. Might as well have been blindfolded.

Comment

rather than start a new thread, figured i'd just bump the ongoing doll-ness.
                on the doll-forum i'm on, saw this link. http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...-doll/6113875/ and we started talking about her marketability and whether we would buy her.
                that realistic-proportioned barbie will be hitting the market. i actually like her now that he's fixed the neck/ shoulder issues and gave her a diffrent face. though it's creepy as hell that he sculpted the head and named her after himself. woulda made more sense to give her an average girl's name, since he is marketing her under the tag "average is beautiful" https://www.lammily.com/average-is-beautiful

this was my response in the doll forum.
                "i can see kids playing with it, because it's a doll. granted, kids may stop playing with it unless they start rolling out one hell of an accessory line. kids won't play with a doll that they can't at least change clothes on, and they won't fit regular doll clothes. barbie's appeal to kids is her versatility as a toy, that she can be anything. unless the lammily doll is able and willing to match that versatility they will be rapidly put aside for other toys. just releasing a doll won't be enough to make a market impact.
                now if mattel gets behind this, it may help, but even they will keep the line limited until it proves to be a seller. i mean, even MH is still a fairly limited line, and it has one hell of a marketing campaign behind it.

from the look of their first run, i can see this line failing long-term as a barbie competitor. she's being released in one set with a polo and shorts, and in the other in a sports bra and shorts. stuff that will appeal to the people who are buying it from the propaganda front, but girly-girl kid drawn normally to the barbie line would probably pass it over. if they want to lure people that would normally play with barbie, they at least need to mimic her a little. even a simple sundress would be better than what they chose.
                i'm almost thinking they would be better marketing her not through mattell, but through American Girl. she looks like she would be an older version of their doll line, and the style does match theirs better. "
                Last edited by siead_lietrathua; 03-10-2014, 02:12 PM.

Comment

Sounds like a real-life implementation of the Courtney doll (fictional product - cookies for reference). Its big gimmick was that there WERE no add-on accessories (and associated ongoing hole in parents' wallets).

Comment

I really like that blouse.

Yes, I said it.

No, I don't have a Man Card(tm).

-.-

Comment

I really like that blouse.

Yes, I said it.

No, I don't have a Man Card(tm).

-.-
                      now all i can think is

Comment

Or, to borrow a line from one of the Sharpe series:

"If you were a man, I would call you out, challenge you to a duel, and kill you".

This was Sharpe's first wife (the Spanish rebel) speaking to an incompetent "stuffed shirt" high-ranking British officer.

Comment

Working...
                        X