Trick or treaters side with the devil, according to church group

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Flyndaran View Post
    I've never heard any indisputable claims of Jesus every existing let alone when he was born. I've read wild claims about nightsky oddities that may have been mistranslated as a star. But no one agrees, exept to state that there wasn't any in year one when the calendar likes to state it.

Though surviving in a manger in the middle of a winter night would have been a whole other miricle.
    Discovery Channel ran a special about Jesus, and using a combination of contemporary accounts, public information from the Romans, and human remains, were able to confirm that there was a man named Yeshua, born to Joseph and Mary, descended from the line of David, who became a religious leader and was crucified. Remember, the Romans were meticulous record-keepers, especially for crucifixions.

No, whether or not this Yeshua was the divinely begotten son of YHWH, or simply a religious leader with some very good ideas, whose teachings later got written down by disciples who decided to embellish.
    "Never confuse the faith with the so-called faithful." -- Cartoonist R.K. Milholland's father.
    A truer statement has never been spoken about any religion.

Comment

Originally posted by gremcint View Post
      I thought year one was about when he was thirty because he didn't start becoming heavily noticed till around then, why would they start the new calendar right as he's born when most people wouldn't know who he was.
      That's easy: BC = Before Christ, AD = Anno Domini, or "Year of Lord".

Written thusly: 5 BC = 5 years before Christ, AD 1582 = Year of our Lord 1582.

Plus, with your method, there's a good 30+ year gap in the calendar.

Comment

Originally posted by Pedersen View Post
        That's easy: BC = Before Christ, AD = Anno Domini, or "Year of Lord".
        Eh, nobody uses those initials anymore...or at least, no historians that I've read lately do. BCE (Before Common Era) and CE (Common Era) are the more acceptable alternatives.

Comment

Originally posted by AdminAssistant View Post
          Eh, nobody uses those initials anymore...or at least, no historians that I've read lately do. BCE (Before Common Era) and CE (Common Era) are the more acceptable alternatives.
          I still use BC and AD. *shrug*

My issue with these church folks is this: Is a 5 year old who dresses up as Handy Manny really going to care about the history of Halloween or be worried about spooks and demons? No they are just going to go out, score some candy and come home. That's all Halloween was to me as a kid, I didn't learn all the history until I was in my teens to early adulthood.

Comment

Which also neatly ignores why I posted it: I was answering the question of why the calendar didn't start when Jesus was 30.

Comment

I would prefer holidays that have no religious baggage. But darn it, who really celebrates Wintereenmas?

Comment

Besides Pedersen's point, there's the reason they changed, which you didn't mention. They fucked up the conversion from one calendar type to another (Julian to Gregorian, I think, but don't quote me), and lost 30 years, thus what they said was year 1 was actually year 27 or so. So while they tried to put the calendar start to co-inside with Jesus's birth, they missed, so scholars decided to change the initials, since 26BC and less weren't actually BC.
                Any comment I make should not be taken as an absolute, unless I say it should be. Even this one.

Comment

When I was young the local church did a similar thing. Halloween is harmless fun, and has lost any signifigence a long long time ago (as did Christmas but that is another story). It is something for the children, and meant to be fun. A good scare can be rather enjoyable. Of course Halloween is my favorite holiday, so I may be a bit biased.

Comment

quick thought: maybe dress up as Jesus to go trick or treating? with a crown of thorns, bloody hands and feet, and a stab wound on your side?
                    The key to an open mind is understanding everything you know is wrong.

my blog
                    my brother's

Comment

Just make sure to look both ways if you do:
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVseBfMq_Dc

Comment

Originally posted by Flyndaran View Post
                        I would prefer holidays that have no religious baggage. But darn it, who really celebrates Wintereenmas?
                        Hehe we do celebrate Wintereenmas, usually by several nights of drunken GTA playing

Comment

Originally posted by Pedersen View Post
                          Which also neatly ignores why I posted it: I was answering the question of why the calendar didn't start when Jesus was 30.
                          Originally posted by BroomJockey View Post
                          So while they tried to put the calendar start to co-inside with Jesus's birth, they missed, so scholars decided to change the initials, since 26BC and less weren't actually BC.
                          Didn't know that, all I was doing was pointing out that the terms BC and AD are no longer used by the majority of academia.

Originally posted by protege View Post
                          Hehe we do celebrate Wintereenmas, usually by several nights of drunken GTA playing
                          I first read that as Graduate Teaching Assistant, until I realized you were talking about Grand Theft Auto. I'd personally be up for many drunken nights of Grad. Teaching Asst. playing!!! Wheeeee!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by blas87 View Post
                            I was raised by a very religious mother, and she taught me that the devil cannot get to you and neither can any of Satan's minions if you believe in the power and protection of Christ.

She's one of the most religious people I know, and she has never had an issue with Halloween or trick or treating....well, except that I had to stop when I reached about 12.

Why did you have to stop at 12? Did you mom think you "too old" to go trick or treating?

Your mom sounds level-headed where religion goes.

I have no problem with my daughter going trick-or-treating. As long as she says "please", "thank you", and she trick-or-treats people we know.

But then again, she's 6.

She hasn't grasped the idea of the devil/god/good/evil. *shrugs*
                            Oh Holy Trinity, the Goddess Caffeine'Na, the Great Cowthulhu, & The Doctor, Who Art in Tardis, give me strength. Moo. Moo. Java. Timey Wimey

Avatar says: DAVID TENNANT More Evidence God is a Woman

Comment

Working...
                            X