No announcement yet.

Fired for being Wiccan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you go about proving something like this? (the firing-over-religion, not the misunderstanding each other's posts)
    "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

I think this pretty much tears it:

"Her manager replied, “that is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard, let me ask you where your priorities should have been?” Uberti asked what was so ridiculous and was told, “Well, you will need a new career in your new year” and “I will be damned if I have a devil-worshipper on my team.” Uberti was fired shortly after the phone call."

Although I guess one could argue that it would her word against her boss'.

Comment

Originally posted by RecoveringKinkoid View Post
        I think this pretty much tears it:

"Her manager replied, “that is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard, let me ask you where your priorities should have been?” Uberti asked what was so ridiculous and was told, “Well, you will need a new career in your new year” and “I will be damned if I have a devil-worshipper on my team.” Uberti was fired shortly after the phone call."

Although I guess one could argue that it would her word against her boss'.
        Something tells me someone who reacted like that wouldn't be able to keep his yap shut about it in court. Especially if, say, the plaintiff were to be wearing a pentacle necklace (yes, I know not all Wiccans like wearing pentacles, but a few other Wiccan symbols could serve the same purpose).
        "Never confuse the faith with the so-called faithful." -- Cartoonist R.K. Milholland's father.
        A truer statement has never been spoken about any religion.

Comment

Holiday had already been approved, had been for the last 8 years...

They're already fighting an up-hill battle! And, since it's already gone to the civil stage, it would imply that the company as a whole doesn't have much to say on the matter. One would have thought that they would have issued some form of official stance or letter by now... especially to the ex-employee.

The problem is also that it shouldn't matter what a person does on their holidays.. whether it's to go to a religious event, or just play video games
          ZOE: Preacher, don't the Bible got some pretty specific things to say about killing?

SHEPHERD BOOK: Quite specific. It is, however, Somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps.

Comment

Originally posted by Arcade Man D View Post
            Something tells me someone who reacted like that wouldn't be able to keep his yap shut about it in court. Especially if, say, the plaintiff were to be wearing a pentacle necklace (yes, I know not all Wiccans like wearing pentacles, but a few other Wiccan symbols could serve the same purpose).
            Any symbol could serve the wrong purpose. Especially if it's inverted (i.e. inverted pentacles=Satanism.)

From memory, a quick note to people: most Wiccan codes go by a few basic beliefs. One of these is "to be silent." The idea is that when you do Wiccan things, such as casting spells and such, that you don't go around telling people that you did them. Mostly because of the law of three. if the intention is to provoke fear, then that's basically causing harm to someone. And the law of three comes bounding back faster than you think.

In regards to the story, the boss is an idiot. The employee however, could've just as easily said that it was to visit family. Unfortunately, it sounds more like the boss is one of those who believes that Christianity is the ONE TRUE RELIGION....

Comment

The people killed in Salem witch trial couldn't have been wiccan as that religion was a product of the 20th century.

Witch back then meant devil worshiper which I doubt very many if any people actually were. I mean why worship the loser of a fight?

Comment

I mean, you guys kept putting it in front of me, and for the life of me, I was not getting it.
                I had no idea what "J/K" meant either. It was an important enough part of the post (to prevent misunderstandings) that it should have been spelled out, I think.

If you're too busy to type out a few words, come back and make your post at a later date.

Comment

Originally posted by Boozy View Post
                  It was an important enough part of the post (to prevent misunderstandings) that it should have been spelled out, I think.

If you're too busy to type out a few words, come back and make your post at a later date.
                  J/K is about as common on most parts of the internet as "lol." It's a basic net acronym that it is not unreasonable to assume most people know, or can at least figure out. I assume the bulk of the issue comes not from it not being spelled out, but RK's quirk of blindness.
                  Any comment I make should not be taken as an absolute, unless I say it should be. Even this one.

Comment

In all honesty, I glanced at it and thought it was the poster's initials. It started with a J, and I've seen posters who sign their posts, so I just dismissed the "initials" without really seeing them.

It only began to dawn on me that they were otherwise significant until they had been pointed out a couple times.

Sorry, guys. Not the first time I've dismissed something crucial like that.

Comment

Sorry, guys. Not the first time I've dismissed something crucial like that.
                      I misjudged the entire premise of a thread yesterday. I can't be too hard on you.
                      Any comment I make should not be taken as an absolute, unless I say it should be. Even this one.

Comment

Originally posted by fireheart17 View Post
                        Any symbol could serve the wrong purpose. Especially if it's inverted (i.e. inverted pentacles=Satanism.)
                        Or Second Degree Brit Trad Wicca, or neo-pythagorean...

Much like the inverted cross, it wasn't considered ZOMG teh EEEEEVUL until Ephias Levi wrote his book.

I mean how many people know that the inverted cross is actually a pretty damn holy symbol in it's own right (it's also known as the Cross of St. Peter, due to him traditionally being crucified upside down.)

That and the majority of Satanists aren't evil either.

*goes off to grumble*

Comment

[nitpick] The "Employee" was the District manager, the "boss" was the new regional manager [/nitpick]
                          Help a friend!

Comment

To add insult to injury, she hired the person who fired her.
                            I am a sexy shoeless god of war!
                            Minus the sexy and I'm wearing shoes.

Comment

Originally posted by Slytovhand View Post
                              whether it's to go to a religious event, or just play video games
                              Or both WINTEREENMAS!!!
                              Jack Faire
                              Friend
                              Father
                              Smartass

Comment

Working...
                              X