Westboro hits close to home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Westboro hits close to home

Posting this here because I'm pretty sure replies will turn it into Fratching material anyway, even though I'm not intending it to do so.

My nephew's cousin (I'm not directly related to him) was killed in Afghanistan. The funeral is being held in my hometown Saturday. I won't be there as I'm not close to that branch of the family, and also have prior (happier!) obligations going to a friend's wedding down south.

Just got the news a couple of days ago that Westboro will be there. It's the first time they've been to this part of the state, I believe. Patriot Guard Riders will be there as well to shield the grieving from WBC. I posted a note on my Facebook for any funeral attendees warning them of what to expect, because I felt being slapped in the face with it at the funeral would be much more devastating than knowing their tactics ahead of time. Yeah, up until this past week, hardly anyone around here knew what you were talking about when you mentioned Westboro, so I felt the note was necessary.

I just wanted to share, and also ask that you keep the fallen soldier's family in your thoughts/prayers.

Hopefully there won't be too much trouble. Sorry about your non-cousin, and hope the wedding goes through with a hitch!
    "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

I believe that interfering with a funeral should be a crime. I don't care if the person being laid to rest is jack the fucking ripper... Death is hard for the family left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by Kimmik View Post
        I believe that interfering with a funeral should be a crime. I don't care if the person being laid to rest is jack the fucking ripper... Death is hard for the family left behind.
        Eh personally I think it should fall under the fighting words defense, you're intentionally provoking them towards violence.

Comment

Fighting words is a stupid defense, IMO. No matter what somebody says, you should be able to control your response. If what somebody says is libelous, you can sue them, but letting it provoke you to violence is never a proper response.

I support WBC's right to free speech. I think they're jerks for saying it, but they have the right to say it. OTOH, the family has a right to privacy. I think a good compromise would be to require demonstrators to keep a certain distance from the funeral home, so that they don't directly interefere with the funeral.

I like the counter-protests some people have been doing. Such as showing up with signs that make fun of WBC's signs. I particularly like the meta-protest signs like "I have a sign" and "God hates signs".
          "The future is always born in pain... If we are wise what is born of that pain matures into the promise of a better world." --G'Kar, "Babylon 5"

Comment

Originally posted by Ghel View Post
            I like the counter-protests some people have been doing. Such as showing up with signs that make fun of WBC's signs. I particularly like the meta-protest signs like "I have a sign" and "God hates signs".
            There were awesome ones at a recent KU counter protest:

"God's Never Gonna Give You Up" (with a pic of Ric Astley)

"My Arms Are Tired"

"Free Hugs!"

"My Sign Is Better Than Your Sign"

And, my personal favorite:

"Do A Barrel Roll!!"

Comment

Originally posted by AdminAssistant View Post

And, my personal favorite:

"Do A Barrel Roll!!"
              My personal favorite was one I saw that said "mythinks the lady doth protest too much" with an arrow pointing to a WBC protester next to them

As far as the WBC protesting at funerals, I do hope they realize that they are the atheists best friends... I know multiple people (which full discloser, I am one of them) who have left Christianity because we can't reconcile our goodness with what our faith was inspiring. I was not because of the WBC (I was because of all the Christian hatred of homosexuals in Utah in ALL churches that I saw, even the 'accepting' ones). If the WBC's goal is to drive people away from Christianity (which, ftr, I support) then they are succeeding in that endeavor.
              "I'm Gar and I'm proud" -slytovhand

Comment

Those counter protests are hilarious with the "I was promised donuts" signs and such! The one at the Chicago university with the students dancing and blasting "I'm Coming Out" from Diana Ross was genius! Seeing those WBC nutjobs walk away after being served a big heap of pwnage was priceless!

Sorry to hear about your nephew's cousin. I do hope everything goes well without a hitch. I love the Patriot Guard and I have a lot of respect for what they do and what they stand for.

I support freedom of speech, but what angers me is how WBC abuses that by desecrating the funerals of those who died while serving our country with their hateful rants and antics. Leave their families alone and give them their proper dues and dignity they deserve!
                There are no stupid questions, just stupid people...

Comment

Fighting words is a stupid defense, IMO. No matter what somebody says, you should be able to control your response. If what somebody says is libelous, you can sue them, but letting it provoke you to violence is never a proper response.
                  Taken from here: http://www.bookrags.com/wiki/Provocation_(legal)

In criminal law, provocation is a possible defense by excuse or exculpation alleging a sudden or temporary loss of control (a permanent loss of control is in the realm of insanity) as a response to another's provocative conduct sufficient to justify an acquittal, a mitigated sentence or a conviction for a lesser charge. Provocation can be a relevant factor in a court's assessment of a defendant's mens rea, intention, or state of mind, at the time of an act of which the defendant is accused. In some Common Law jurisdictions such as the UK , Canada, and several Australian states, the defense of provocation is only available against a charge of murder and only acts to reduce the conviction to manslaughter. This is known as "voluntary manslaughter" which is considered more serious than "involuntary manslaughter", which comprises both manslaughter by "unlawful act" and by criminal negligence. In some states with Criminal Codes, such as the Australian states of Queensland and Western Australia, provocation serves as a complete defense to the range of assault-based offenses. In the United States, the Model Penal Code substitutes the broader standard of extreme emotional or mental distress for the comparatively narrower standard of provocation. Provocation, however, is not a defense available to the civil torts of assault or battery.

Comment

I support WBC's right to free speech. I think they're jerks for saying it, but they have the right to say it. OTOH, the family has a right to privacy. I think a good compromise would be to require demonstrators to keep a certain distance from the funeral home, so that they don't directly interefere with the funeral.

I, too, support their right to free speech. It's kinda funny...I'm currently writing a gay romance, so if it gets published and actually gains some popularity, I stand a good chance of getting singled out by them. I'm oddly looking forward to it...I have my own ideas of how to handle them, and I'm all for keeping them away from soldiers' funerals if I can. At least it would make some semblance of sense for them to picket me at book signings or whatever.

There will be counter-protesting at this funeral. In an odd twist of fate, I found out one of my friends used to date the soldier's sister. He and his friends that knew him are counter-protesting with signs such as "God Loves Soldiers." The police will be keeping the group a certain distance away from the funeral, and I'm sure the PGR will be holding the giant flags blocking them from view. I have no idea how much exposure the family will have to the WBC though.

Comment

Who all's looking forward to picketing Fred Phelps' funeral?
                      "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
                        Who all's looking forward to picketing Fred Phelps' funeral?
                        Sign me up. A few sign suggestions:

"I see you're with your god now. I hear she's very nice".
                        "Say hi to (Wicca, Thor, Horus) for me".
                        "Say hi to Set for me".

Comment

How about:

"God hates bigots"
                          "God is just pretend"
                          "This is a sign" (that one works on a couple of levels)
                          "The future is always born in pain... If we are wise what is born of that pain matures into the promise of a better world." --G'Kar, "Babylon 5"

Comment

The more attention you give him, the more powerful he becomes. Even in death.

(Although it sounds like a Star Wars quote, I feel it's true.)

Comment

How about:

"God hates bigots"
                              "God is just pretend"
                              "This is a sign" (that one works on a couple of levels)
                              How about:

"Wherever you are, Mr. Phelps, I'll bet you're surprised."

Comment

Working...
                              X