Another teacher fired from a religious school

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AdminAssistant View Post
    It only works if they receive absolutely zero funding from the government. If a private school receives even one penny of federal or state money, then they are required to follow all laws and regulations.
    Baylor U. recieves federal funding, but that year there I saw lots of religious intolerance/discrimination.

Comment

Originally posted by AdminAssistant View Post
      It only works if they receive absolutely zero funding from the government. If a private school receives even one penny of federal or state money, then they are required to follow all laws and regulations.
      They still have to follow constitutional laws regardless of funding.
      Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

If she said she intended to 'follow the school's values' that's not enough to fire her. She has to have signed something saying she was aware of those values. Without knowing exactly where this took place, I can't say. But as far as I'm concerned, they SHOULD be allowed to fire her for anything they want, but ONLY if when she signed up she signed something that said she was aware of the school's rules.
        "Nam castum esse decet pium poetam
        ipsum, versiculos nihil necessest"

Comment

Originally posted by Greenday View Post
          They still have to follow constitutional laws regardless of funding.
          No they don't. At Baylor, unless you're baptist, life can truly suck.

Comment

Um, Hobbs, when did you go to Baylor? Because I have a lot of non-Baptist and non-Christian friends who went there, and they didn't experience that.
            Do not lead, for I may not follow. Do not follow, for I may not lead. Just go over there somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by knitshoni View Post
              um, hobbs, when did you go to baylor? Because i have a lot of non-baptist and non-christian friends who went there, and they didn't experience that.
              2003-2004.

Comment

Having been looking at various religious schools, I can tell you guys that they have in their application packets what their moral code is. And a lot of them include the no sex outside marriage as well as essentially no questionable visitations. And a number of them indicate that yes, you have to be a regular member of some church. So I doubt this teacher didn't know the moral code of her school in detail.

That being said, school sucks for trying to get the community to shun her like that.
                I has a blog!

Comment

Originally posted by Hobbs View Post
                  No they don't. At Baylor, unless you're baptist, life can truly suck.
                  I think that there is a difference between having to follow laws and actually following laws. Baylor may not have followed the laws but that doesn't mean they don't have to.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikkel View Post
                    I think that there is a difference between having to follow laws and actually following laws. Baylor may not have followed the laws but that doesn't mean they don't have to.
                    They limited the right for organizations to assemble. I realize it's a private campus, but it still isn't all that great when you're one of the organizations targeted (Catholic Student Assoc.).

Comment

A Religious school, not receiving any gov funding, would be allowed to fire someone for not following policies, however asinine. That being said, the school was WAY out of line for telling the community, and that would be subject to legal action.

Comment

I would think, as an employer, they would have to follow privacy guidelines/laws/rules whatever.....they can't just announce the reason someone was fired to the whole world. That is confidential information.

As for the reason she was fired that is one of the many reasons I do not belong to or work for a religious organization of any kind. What I do in my private life is my private business.
                        https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
                        Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Woooooooooooooooooooooooow.

I've heard of religion being somewhat integrated into the workplace (Chik-Fil-A being closed on Sunday), but this is ridiculous.

I went to a Catholic high school that employed a lesbian Psychology teacher (and she had a life partner as well), so not all religious schools are this...ignorant? Stupid? I can't think of a suitable word.
                          "All I know is that I don't know" - Operation Ivy

Comment

Working...
                          X