Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waiter angered by religious tract disguised as $10 tip

http://consumerist.com/2011/11/this-...ur-server.html

Now I am a Christian and I dislike tracts. I think they piss people off more than anything else.

I also think it was uber tacky to leave this WITHOUT any real tip at all. I can understand the waiter being upset but I still don't see that as a good reason to wish harm on the person responsible.

I doubt the waiter wished any real harm on anyone; his comments seemed to mostly be that not only was he not religious prior to receiving it, but having received it, he's even less likely to become otherwise.

Leaving a religious tract in lieu of a tip is a pretty lame thing in the first place, but a religious tract disguised as a tip is a special kind douchetacular. And cheap. And probably wont earn you any brownie points with the man upstairs.

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Kabe showed me this last night. Pretty sure the last frame was to just make it fit the Rage Comic format since it was posted somewhere other than the Consumerist to begin with.

Not that you can disagree with the sentiment as an immediate reaction. That's a cruel trick to play even without the religious overtones. Had some coworkers do similar while working out at camp. They hid the tips in the trash to "make them work for it".
      I has a blog!

Comment

Originally posted by Crazedclerkthe2nd View Post
        I can understand the waiter being upset but I still don't see that as a good reason to wish harm on the person responsible.
        um the tract itself is thinly veiled threat of harm.

"if you don't accept Jesus, you'll spend an eternity burning in hell"-is that not a threat? Is that not wishing harm?
        Registered rider scenic shore 150 charity ride

Comment

I can understand the urge to get all stabby. Im sure the urge passed very quickly.

I mean.. I wouldnt want to be the deciding member on a jury or anything.

Comment

Wouldn't you love the chance to get their employer to do the same come payday?

If you think leaving tracts is effective, the only decent thing to do is to leave them *in addition* to the appropriate amount of money.

But handing them out to unwilling strangers involves too many faulty assumptions in the first place. The content presumes that the person receiving it *isn't* Christian already, despite a large majority of the population (in this country, anyway) being some variety of that faith, for starters. It assumes that someone who has, up until that moment, rejected the content for whatever reason will change their mind based, not on argument or personal interaction at a favorable time, but on a bare printed restatement of what they disbelieve. (Or, alternately, that they've somehow managed never to have heard any of this before, and yet will be convinced by those few words.) And so on.
            "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

It does seem to be a commonality among those that attempt to convert us poor heathens that we merely do not know, or have never heard about thier religion and that if they just tell us, incessantly, all the time, every day, but especially saturday mornings that we will see the light and suddenly wish to convert.

Its like a non-smoker attempting to get a smoker to quit by telling them the health benefits of quitting becuase clearly they dont know.

Comment

Originally posted by BlaqueKatt View Post

"if you don't accept Jesus, you'll spend an eternity burning in hell"-is that not a threat? Is that not wishing harm?
                Well this one didn't specifically state that, but the implication was still there.

Comment

I suppose it may be, but if the person on the receiving end doesn't believe in Hell its a rather pointless threat.

Comment

Originally posted by Rageaholic View Post
                    Well this one didn't specifically state that, but the implication was still there.
                    Originally posted by the tract
                    Jesus, I know that I am a sinner and without accepting you, I would spend eternity in hell
                    I think that's rather blatant....
                    Registered rider scenic shore 150 charity ride

Comment

You know, even a like-minded person - someone who believes that eternal salvation is possible through Christ and is more important than any amount of money - still needs to pay their bills.

Let's say this person actually got what they wanted out of leaving the fake tip. Let's say that the waiter decided to accept Christ as his personal saviour. He still would have needed to eat that night. Still needed to pay his rent on the first of the month. And his "friend in Christ" was of no help whatsoever.

This isn't about religion, it's about being a cheap asshole and using religion as the excuse.

Comment

A friend of mine got one of those as a "tip" when she was working as a stripper. I can't even begin to wrap my head around that one.

I've never worked as a waiter or any other job where tips are customary, but if I ever got one of those damn things as a tip, I'd take it back to the church where it came from (most of these things have the name of a church printed on them), and put it in the collection plate. Maybe even write on the thing that it was given instead of a tip, and they can have it back.
                        --- I want the republicans out of my bedroom, the democrats out of my wallet, and both out of my first and second amendment rights. Whether you are part of the anal-retentive overly politically-correct left, or the bible-thumping bellowing right, get out of the thought control business --- Alan Nathan

Comment

Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post

Leaving a religious tract in lieu of a tip is a pretty lame thing in the first place, but a religious tract disguised as a tip is a special kind douchetacular. And cheap. And probably wont earn you any brownie points with the man upstairs.
                          I've seen similar tracts down here. They look like $100 notes, but have religious info printed on them. I used to receive a couple when I used to work for a supermarket, but the people STILL paid their bills. I just usually binned them.

Originally posted by MadMike View Post
                          A friend of mine got one of those as a "tip" when she was working as a stripper. I can't even begin to wrap my head around that one.
                          One of the strip clubs I went to in Adelaide uses paper money that you can stick down the strippers panties. If they'd tried to pull that, it would've counted as money

Comment

Has a pamphlet ever, in the history of the modern world, ever, ever actually converted someone to a specific faith? It seems like such a pointless, and honestly offensive, waste of time, effort and paper.

Comment

I think that's rather blatant....
                              I can't believe I missed that.

Even though I understand why these people spread their message (if they actually believe in hell), I still find it pretty damn tacky as well as the implication that I will burn in hell forever for not accepting a mythology (tempted to start a thread on that very thing).

Anyway, even if these sucktomers did have good intentions, they missed the point by not leaving any tip. Kinda defeats the whole "grace" message.

Comment

Working...
                              X