No announcement yet.

Sexual Sins are Bull

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not doing something you want to do because it would be wrong shows strength of character, but just wanting what is wrong still means you're not perfect.
    "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Ah yes, supply us with equipment that can do all kinds of cool stuff but tell us we're not allowed to do anything other than a few specific things. I had no idea God worked in the tech industry.

Comment

Personally, my own thoughts on the subject speaking as a Christian, are that sexual morality has more to do with the attitude you take towards sex rather than what state of marriage you're in at the time.

For example, I have no problem when it comes to sleeping with somebody with whom you're in a serious relationship. I do have a problem with one night stands and casual sex, generally speaking. I also have a problem with cheating, obviously.

Of course, these are merely the moral standards to which I hold myself. I really couldn't care less what other people do so long as those involved are consenting, doing it safely, and being responsible.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaden View Post
          I really couldn't care less what other people do so long as those involved are consenting, doing it safely, and being responsible.
          How wonderfully reasonable, unfortunately not enough people share this attitude.

Comment

Well, consider this idea:

We - the 'real' we - isn't this meat and bones thing... we are actually a soul, currently incorporated into this meat and bone physical thing. As a soul, sex (and, for that matter, most other physical things we take for granted) is irrelevant. According to the Bible, (and other sacred texts) 'we' go somewhere for our afterlife... and I'm pretty sure it's not our physical body that's going there...

So, we are a soul, within a physical body. Let's now say, this Adam and Eve couple, when they first incarnated into the first physical bodies, had no compulsions for sex (or food, nor other things), and being souls, had none of the other sins that are all directly linked with this physicality - this separation from the divine - from God.

When they 'ate the apple', all that reality of being in a physical body suddenly hit in... and then, 'sin'... our spiritual - our SOUL - focus suddenly shifted from divinity to physicality.

And, our constant focus on being a body is stopping our advancement as a soul.

We are here to experience this physical reality... but not to become addicted to it.

Sex, then, is a sin because it means we are focussing only on the physical reality, instead of our spiritual reality.

You will, I hope, bear in mind that most mystical cults of the world ('cult' as in 'part of the larger group') which are strongly focused on their spirituality, abstain from sex (amongst other physical pursuits). Is it difficult? Well, tell me - when you're deep in meditation, do you have sexual urges? I know I don't! The connection with all around me removes pretty much all connections with my bodily sensations!

(this argument does not necessarily represent the views of this author. I am NOT a Christian - nor any other form of monotheist - and thus, the concept of 'sin' does not enter into my beliefs!)
            ZOE: Preacher, don't the Bible got some pretty specific things to say about killing?

SHEPHERD BOOK: Quite specific. It is, however, Somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps.

Comment

Originally posted by Rageaholic View Post
              You know, the more I think about this, the more I think it's pretty harmful to make people for guilty for having sexual thoughts or masturbating to those thoughts.
              I agree completely.
              Having spent a decade and a half in Salt Lake city I can tell you that the all powerful "Thou Shalt Not Touch Thyself" and "If You Think Of Sex Thou Art A Filthy SINNER"
              I shit you not, back in the last 70's the LDS church even published an anti-mastrubation manual that advocated going to the bathroom with the door open to encourage you to finish as quickly as possible before someone walked in and tying yourself to the bed at night.
              All in all, it's damaging to a kid to be told that there's something wrong with them for having natural urges and in taking pleasure in these urges for whatever reasons.
              There's an old saying that "Repression leads to obsession". Basically in making sex this all powerful mystic no no..well, Homer Simpson put it perfectly "What is your obsessin with my forbidden door of secrets?!"

Comment

Working...
              X